Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Virginblue4
Topic Author

4K video camcorder - Heathrow spotting

Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:30 pm

Hi everyone,

I intend to start going back to Heathrow to do a little (a lot!) of spotting. Just a few more weeks of University and then I am free to get back to one of my hobbies! :D

I'm looking into 4K camcorders to start filming to upload to YouTube. The camcorder won't solely be used for spotting, but will be used a lot for doing so.

I am subscribed to Train_PlaneHub on YouTube (if you're on here, thanks for making great videos!) and he has recently purchased a 4K camcorder, the model is Panasonic HC-VX870EB-K. The quality is great, so I have no questions there. I am looking at purchasing this model as it is a fairly reasonable price.

However, I am intrigued about the zoom range. It is listed as having 20x optical zoom and 60x digital zoom. There is another YouTube channel that I am subscribed to called Casey Planespotting (again, if you're on airliners.net, great videos!) who has recently uploaded a video shooting 09L Heathrow arrivals from the Thistle hotel (link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgeoeMrrhGU&t=2744s).

I want to ask, would the 20x zoom of the 4K Panasonic HC-VX870 be enough to shoot similar videos from the same location, or would it be likely I'd have to move into digital zoom territory?

Train_PlaneHub has some great videos shooting 27L arrivals, so I know it would be perfect for use at Myrtle avenue, however I am wondering about shooting from the Thistle hotel.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

JannEejit

Re: 4K video camcorder - Heathrow spotting

Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:18 pm

Having looked at the specs it offers an equivalent to 35mm focal length of 626mm in 4K (UHD) and over 700mm in full HD, based around a small 2/3 inch sensor. That's pretty reasonable as long as you operate off a decent tripod or it has excellent image stabilisation. It's a pretty compact piece in physical terms, so difficult to hold steady at any great zoom level. I've just ordered the Panasonic Lumix FZ-2000 bridge camera which offers 4K video and stills capture in a bridge camera format. It's twice the price of your model though, but offers a more 'pro' level of video capture as well as really great looking stills. I already have it's predecessor the FZ1000 which is also excellent for stills/video in 4k and now retails for about £550, down from around £790 when first released in 2014. Both these cameras operate around a 1" sensor which allows for greater cropping in post to effectively give a longer lens than the 400mm optical/800mm smart zoom facility, which unlike a traditional crop sensor approach to digital zoom, does an interpolated 'live' image crop giving very pleasing results.

Virginblue4
Topic Author

Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:07 pm

JannEejit wrote:
Having looked at the specs it offers an equivalent to 35mm focal length of 626mm in 4K (UHD) and over 700mm in full HD, based around a small 2/3 inch sensor. That's pretty reasonable as long as you operate off a decent tripod or it has excellent image stabilisation. It's a pretty compact piece in physical terms, so difficult to hold steady at any great zoom level. I've just ordered the Panasonic Lumix FZ-2000 bridge camera which offers 4K video and stills capture in a bridge camera format. It's twice the price of your model though, but offers a more 'pro' level of video capture as well as really great looking stills. I already have it's predecessor the FZ1000 which is also excellent for stills/video in 4k and now retails for about £550, down from around £790 when first released in 2014. Both these cameras operate around a 1" sensor which allows for greater cropping in post to effectively give a longer lens than the 400mm optical/800mm smart zoom facility, which unlike a traditional crop sensor approach to digital zoom, does an interpolated 'live' image crop giving very pleasing results.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I have to say I am not too au fait with cameras and the associated terminology. I'm judging based on videos I have seen! :lol:

This video is filmed with the camcorder in question and it seems pretty good to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccdXcRlBEMA&t=238s

Are you able to tell if this was filmed with or without a tripod?

Again, I appreciate your help.

Virginblue4
Topic Author

Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:58 am

In addition, is anyone able to see any noticeable differences between these two models?

Apart from the still photo resolution as well as a couple of shooting modes, I can't see any differences to justify an additional £110.

Panasonic HC-VX870EB-K 4K - http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/cameras-an ... 0-pdt.html

Panasonic HC0VX980EB-K 4K - http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/cameras-an ... 2-pdt.html

laban05

Tue May 02, 2017 2:48 am

Looking at the Canon EOS and Nikon D type of cameras