Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

shattuckb02
Topic Author

Depth of Field Question

Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:10 pm

I recently had a shot rejected (everyone relax, this isn't a feedback post), and I was wanting to ask a question of depth of field. The shot is a wide-angle taken from the nose of BBJ. It was a 15-second exposure at f/6.3 and ISO 100. The nose was sharp, as it was my focal point. However, the engines, wing, and winglets were not sharp. It was rejected for depth of field issues after being HQ1'd. I see now that f/6.3 was too shallow. My question is, would depth of field been deeper had I shot it at say f/11-f/16? Below is a link to the photo.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125582197 ... ed-public/

Re: Depth of Field Question

Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:42 pm

My question is, would depth of field been deeper had I shot it at say f/11-f/16?

Of course shoot night shots like that at f/16-f/22.

jelpee

Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:04 pm

The answer to your question is Yes. However there are many factors that affect DOF. The following article seems to have a good description.
https://photography.tutsplus.com/articl ... photo-6844

You can always use the DOF Preview button (if your camera has one) to confirm as well. For night photography, assuming one is using a tripod, the use of a smaller aperture should be fine. Lenses are not always their sharpest at the smallest aperture so you may suffer some degradation of image quality if you use the smallest available aperture. Using smaller apertures will also result in "starbursts" for sources of lights which may be an effect you desire.

Jehan

shattuckb02
Topic Author

Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:48 pm

Thank you for the info. I was using a tripod, but I guess I was just to close to the subject with too large an aperture.

Kaphias

Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:53 pm

jelpee wrote:
Lenses are not always their sharpest at the smallest aperture so you may suffer some degradation of image quality if you use the smallest available aperture.

You can pull up your lens on www.dxomark.com to check how aperture affects sharpness.