michaelgri
Topic Author

Kits lens good enough for A.net?

Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:18 pm

Hello I´m considering upgrading from my beloved Fujifilm HS50 bridge camera to an entry level DSLR like Nikon D3200/5200 Canon T4/5i. This equipment is VERY expensive for me, and I´m very happy with the versatility, size, hand feel of the HS50, but unfortunately as you can imagine, I can´t post to A.net which is what I wanted to do from the beginning.

So having a budget of 700-800$, I could find a used body with a nikon 70-300 VR or Canon 70-300 IS and maybe a Nikon 35mm F1.8G or Canon 50mm F1.8 to cover the short range. For what I have seen, kit lenses are just not good enough (not fast focus, not sharp above 250mm, not fast, etc)

So my questions are,

1.) Are kit lenses really not worth for A.net with today's standards?
2.) Does the 70-300 VR o IS (around 450 $ used) have enough quality to get a good acceptance rate a A.net?

So the upgrade is only good for me if I can post on A.net otherwise I just stick with my bridge until I can afford those expensive good telephoto lenses like Canon L line..

I´m also considering the FZ1000 within the same price range but with also the same quality as dslr the kits lenses.

Thank you so much.

Kaphias

Re: Kits lens good enough for A.net?

Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:11 pm

You don't need an expensive camera or lenses to get photos accepted to airliners.net. More important is your skills not only in using whatever camera you do have, but understanding the limitations of that camera with regards to the types of shots you can take and the conditions you can work in. A majority of my photos here were taken with a $150 Nikon point and shoot, but I was (mostly) limited to close, stationary aircraft on sunny days. I now have a Sony A6000 with two kit lenses, and as a result of the better camera and my improved skills, I can shoot in more challenging conditions than I could before, and have a chance at getting those shots accepted.
So it comes down to what you'd like to do with whatever equipment you have... your HS50 is more than capable of getting photos accepted here, but a entry level DSLR may increase your chances of getting easy shots accepted, as well as allowing you to attempt more difficult shots.

1.) There's nothing wrong with kit lenses for airliners.net.
2.) Yes.
Matthew

michaelgri
Topic Author

Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:15 pm

Kaphias wrote:
You don't need an expensive camera or lenses to get photos accepted to airliners.net. More important is your skills not only in using whatever camera you do have, but understanding the limitations of that camera with regards to the types of shots you can take and the conditions you can work in. A majority of my photos here were taken with a $150 Nikon point and shoot, but I was (mostly) limited to close, stationary aircraft on sunny days. I now have a Sony A6000 with two kit lenses, and as a result of the better camera and my improved skills, I can shoot in more challenging conditions than I could before, and have a chance at getting those shots accepted.
So it comes down to what you'd like to do with whatever equipment you have... your HS50 is more than capable of getting photos accepted here, but a entry level DSLR may increase your chances of getting easy shots accepted, as well as allowing you to attempt more difficult shots.

1.) There's nothing wrong with kit lenses for airliners.net.
2.) Yes.

Thank you Kaphias.

Well, I will keep trying and learning with HS50, I do have fun with it, but is VERY limited for a.net. Then when I manage to save a bit, I think the D5100 with a 55-300 lens would be great to start.

seahawk

Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:14 am

55-300 works fine enough, if you are good at editing. It needs a bit more work than a much more expensive lens. Sharpening, vignetting correction, distortion correction, purple fringing are all points that needs to be addressed in editing more or less strongly.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-Euro ... /4150255/L

But it works, even on a old camera like a D300

JakTrax

Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:44 pm

DON'T base your buying of equipment solely on getting shots good enough for A.net! Buy equipment in order to get the shots YOU want, not what A.net wants! A.net might be a good starter to gauge quality, etc., but we all have our own standards and ideals - some of which A.net doesn't consider.

Any DSLR with kit lens is more than good enough to get images accepted here... but let's remember, A.net images are typically between 1024 and 1200 pixels, which can mask a multitude of flaws. Don't get caught up in thinking that an edited file is a 'photograph', because it's not - it's a manipulation of what originally came out of the camera (which is the true 'photograph'). Get things right in camera, and you'll only need to spend literally seconds doing some very basic editing.

I'd go for the cheapest body (something with at least 12mp) and put the rest towards some decent glass (which is after all what really makes the quality). The Canon 70-300 IS is sharp up to about 220mm, but gets very soft after that; perhaps a better consideration would be Canon's excellent 70-200 f/4, which is the best value-to-quality ratio lens money can buy (although it has recently increased in price).

Most lenses if used correctly will produce results easily worthy of A.net. It's all about knowing and familiarising yourself with the strengths and weaknesses of a lens. 9 out of 10 times, poor image quality is user technique rather than any lens issue. You'd be surprised how many people buy an expensive 400mm prime and test its 'sharpness' by going out to the airport at midday in July and shooting 747s.....

Karl