b764
Topic Author

SDF Spotting

Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:01 pm

I know most UPS stuff happen late & early morning but I would like to get some videos of heavies. Any recommendations or advice would be appreciated. What are authorities like there?

jelpee
Crew

Re: SDF Spotting

Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:50 pm

There are spots along Crittenden Avenue (parking lots of businesses, etc) where you could stop and spot. There's a lot of departures between 3 PM and 6 PM from Rwy 17R. You could also try the parking lot of the post office. UPS mostly uses 17R or 36L since it is a shorter taxi to their ramp. The parking lot of Republic Airlines is a popular spot for 17R/36L traffic; I've not had any issues with security nor with the folks from Republic. You will need a ladder, or stand on top of you vehicle to clear the obstruction of the fence. I've spotted at other locations on Crittenden Avenue with no issues, but I imagine if the Metro PD went by, they would at least stop to chat. Probably best if you stopped in at the offices of those business and asked if you could hang out in their parking lot.

Jehan
Airliners.net Crew - Photo Screener

shelms488

Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:49 pm

B764, Hello fellow Kentuckian. I just did my first plane spotting trip at SDF on Monday. As the above poster stated the spots along Crittenden Ave are good, also if you want some action from 17L/36R the Cell Phone Waiting lot is a great place as it is right next to the approach path of 17L. I was able to get a great shot of Air Force One from there on Monday. Best of luck & happy spotting!

zachary165

Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:20 pm

I've spotted numerous times at SDF. As Jehan stated above, there is a very good location at republic and the cellphone lot. The security has become more photographer friendly in the past few years. If they do come, they will most likely run your driver's licence through a database to see if you are actually up to no good and then let you carry on with what you're doing. The 2 weeks leading up to Christmas is probably the best time to spot the heavies at SDF as UPS is operating at peak capacity. They even contract out to other carriers such as Atlas and Centurion. The 2 days leading up to the Kentucky Derby (1st Saturday in May) are also some of the busiest. If you want to catch the huge amount of bizjets during that time, spot 35R/17L. UPS primarily uses 35L/17R. The locations that I use are below.

SDF cellphone lot:
view of the approach end for 17L Great for afternoon spotting.

SDF parking garage top deck looking west:
View of the approach end of 17R. Good for morning spotting. The parking garage is $2 per hour

Republic airways hangar: https://goo.gl/maps/86L9yWmMJYv
view of 35L/17R, also get taxi shots of aircraft leaving the worldport. Great for afternoon spotting. My personal favorite spot. As Jehan said, either bring a ladder or stand on top of your car.

UPS lot south of grade ln: https://goo.gl/maps/ua6TD38zG8o
Afternoon spotting of aircraft approaching 35R.

UPS visitor lot: https://goo.gl/maps/RLcZcGjmrSx
morning spotting of 35L arrivals. keep a low profile because UPS is not the most photographer friendly. I normally stay in my car and shoot out the open window when i spot here.

I would avoid the FBO on the east side of the airport. I hope this helps.
a380, 717, 733, 735, 737, 748, 752, 753, C172, cr2, md-80, 82,83, 88, 90, dc9-50, dch2, e145 135