mcmoreton
Topic Author

Never had a photo accepted

Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:35 pm

Since earlier 2003 I tried to get my photo's accepted on Airliners.net.
Never managed it and got disappointed so didn't try again.

It's still a goal of mine to get an image posted so I uploaded a image.

Can you point me in the right direction on how I can improve my photography skills to get an image accepted.

This image was rejected - http://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/air ... 6db07aa366

Kit Nikon D750 and Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 G AF-S ED Lens

airkas1
Crew

Re: Never had a photo accepted

Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:10 pm

Hi,

2 things can already be easily corrected:
- It's very low in frame, so needs to be put higher.
- The image is very large and the quality doesn't support such a size. So resizing to 1024/1200px in width should be easy.

The quality still looks a bit marginal, but it will be better than now. I'm also wondering what that thing on the left side of the frame is?
As for other tips, I would recommend starting with a very simple sunny side-on photo, that doesn't require a lot of tweaking settings or post-processing.
Airliners.net Crew - Head Photo Screener

cpd

Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:55 am

The sharpness is not there. I did resize your uploaded image down to 1024px and it just didn't look sharp enough even at that resolution. The titles on the side of the plane looked quite soft. There is also a bit of noise/compression showing in the coulds at the top of the image.

The aircraft can be low in the frame, but there must be some motive to justify it. In this case, there isn't.

What you should do here is take another shot, resize it down to 1024 or 1200 pixels wide as the person above says, and then do some sharpening of the image. You'll probably sharpen it enough to just be on the edge of getting halos, and where it becomes oversharp, then mask out the sharpening in those areas.

I wrote this many years ago:

https://reheatimages.smugmug.com/About- ... raphy-tips

You might find it useful.

oly720man

Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:49 pm

Was it taken through the airport window? There seems to be a blue cast to the image, and airport windows can be tinted.

Was that the whole image or has it been cropped a certain amount? With a focal length of 70mm you may be a bit short.

Have you got the camera set to the best image quality settings?

What were the camera exposure settings? Lenses can have variable quality at different apertures.
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

DM

Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:55 pm

Here's a quick edit I did of your shot. http://i.imgur.com/7qlnApB.jpg I centered the plane by doing a 16:9 crop but you can also use a 3:2 or 4:3 crop or any ratio crop between 16:9 and 4:3. I also adjusted levels, contrast, saturation and added some sharpening and also resized to 1000 x 563.

Also check out your camera settings to make sure that they're setup correctly!

Reset your camera settings to default and then set these options:

1. Image quality to JPEG Fine or RAW + JPEG Fine. If you set RAW + JPEG Fine you'll get the RAW files too.

2. Image size to Large.

3. JPEG compression to Optimal quality.

4. White Balance to Auto Normal.

5. Set Picture Control to Standard and Manage Picture Control for Standard should have all values set to "0". For example under Manage Picture Control for Standard have Sharpening, Clarity, Contrast, Brightness, Saturation and Hue all set to "0".

6. Set Colorspace to sRGB.

Then when you're shooting I recommend you use Aperture Priority mode ("A") and have your aperture set to f/8. Also set ISO to 100.

Later when you edit your shots to upload try to keep the width at 1000px or 1024px or 1200px and not 1920px as you really have to have a very high quality shot to get it accepted at that resolution. When saving an edit make sure to save it at the highest quality! In photoshop you would save as JPEG 12 Maximum.

Hope this helps!