Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Almeriabound
Topic Author

Rejection for Noise - Sky

Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:58 am

Hi Everyone,

I have just had the attached photo rejected for "Noise, Personal - Sky".
I would appreciate comments, and any assistance on how to fix it, if posible. I have not used the Noise reduction tool previously, and am unsure how it Works - as I generally do not get rejections for that.

All comments much ap

https://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/air ... 1cff32564d

miamivice

Re: Rejection for Noise - Sky

Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:32 am

You can try to reduce noise using some tools like Neat Image or Noise Ninja. Currently I'm using Dfine from the Google Nik Collection, it is free and it runs also as a plug in for Photoshop.

airkas1

Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:52 am

I use the the noise reduction option in the RAW converter or Dfine (the Nik Collection is now free). Imostly use dfine in cases where there is a lot of noise though and if you shoot RAW, I recommend using that option. Maybe at 20-30%, shouldn't need much more than that for this photo.

Almeriabound
Topic Author

Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:10 am

Is the Noise reduction tool in Photoshop (Elements 7) effective?. On receiving the rejection, I have tried it but cannot see any material difference....for my eyes anyway.

Feedback much appreciated, thanks.

jelpee

Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:24 pm

I use the NR tool in PS11 and it seems to work just fine for the sky and other areas that might be in the shadows. Works well for night shots but not very effective for high ISO (800 and higher) images. I use the magic wand to select the areas since it grabs areas of similar shades. I do not apply NR on the entire image since it softens everything and will tend to eliminate colors from the image.

Jehan

vikkyvik

Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:45 pm

Note that there is also a small spot directly below the nosewheel.

Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:45 am

Almeriabound wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I have just had the attached photo rejected for "Noise, Personal - Sky".
I would appreciate comments, and any assistance on how to fix it, if posible. I have not used the Noise reduction tool previously, and am unsure how it Works - as I generally do not get rejections for that.

All comments much ap

https://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/air ... 1cff32564d

One way to get around this noise would be to duplicate the photo into another layer and then mask that layer so you have just the sky. Then apply noise reduction to it.

Other way is to do the same layer trick with a mask, but this time mask the whole layer, and then use a soft airbrush tool on the layer mask to paint in your noise reduction as needed.

I used my iPhone to look at your photo and the noise was clearly visible. On the topic of dust spots, equalizing the photo will make them easy to see. Also moving the image around will make noise easy to see.