Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SabreHog
Topic Author

Dust on a brand new camera

Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:34 pm

Over the holidays I recieved a Nikon D5300 kit. It's a nice camera, but as I've looked back on the images I've taken over the past few months, I've realized that there seems to be a serious dust problem. Which doesn't make sense to me, as I've only ever had one lens on it.

For reference, this is what my dust reference shots look like right now:

https://flic.kr/p/SNH7Cg

Is it normal for a new DSLR to have this much of a dust issue, having never changed lenses, and only having taken around 380 photos? Should this be something I should take it back to the shop for? Because I can't figure out any way that I could have caused this.

I've become ever more paranoid about this problem as time has gone on, and despite my best efforts at protecting my gear the issue still continues to crop up. I store my cameras in ziploc bags inside my camera bags, and I clean the camera bags themselves out periodically. Does anyone have any other recommendations for preventing these problems?

G-CIVP

Re: Dust on a brand new camera

Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:23 pm

The second a new camera leaves the factory it is susceptible to dust ingression as it is no longer in a clean environment. Care needs to be taken changing lenses; if the camera is on while a lens is changed, the electricall supply to the sensor literally attracts dust. Also changing lenses out doors doesn't help! Personally I would have done some test photos when you first purchased the lens to check the sensor was clean. All you can do now is clean your sensor and lens to clear any dust particals. Hope this helps.

miamivice

Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:59 am

Same problem for me and my wife. We bought two brand new Nikon D7200s and both the cameras had this problem after a few week of use. I've contacted the Customer Support here in Italy and they said me that it was normal to have a bit of dust in the sensor after the use of the camera. We got a free sensor cleaning and a letter in which we were explained that the cleaning of the sensor have to be made regularly.
After a few weeks the sensors were again dirty. Well, I believe that from regularly to often there would be a significant difference.
According to the maintenance center in which I brought the cameras for sensor cleaning the the dirt is oil and not dust. And according to their experience there would be too much oil in the seals of the shutter that stick oil in the sensor during the shooting. According to them, the problem should be resolved with time, because sooner or later the excess oil will end...
I am very happy I chose Nikon after an entire life with Olympus DSLRs, but I have to say that this problem has disappointed me greatly.

yerbol
Screener

Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:27 pm

Change lenses in non-windy place. This is the biggest problem of all DSLR cameras.
Once it is open and you have wind, dust will be on sensor soon.
And do not worry too much about few dust spots. They can be removed in post-processing.
If you see many dust spots then it is time to think about cleaning sensor.

TS-IOR

Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:33 pm

Are mirrorless cameras as vulnerable to dust as DSLRs?

BawliBooch

Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:13 am

Dust is pretty normal. Ofcourse our Canon's handle the dust & other conditions much better! :stirthepot:

I usually shoot in dusty environments and I always come back with a layer of dust covering my kit (Canon 5D Mk3, 7D Mk2 and a couple of Sony ASII's for film work). The higher end camera's are better weather-sealed than the lower end camera's (and Nikons :lol:). But key is to give the kit a thorough cleanup after every trip.

Sit down with a beer and do a thorough dust cleaning with moist soft napkins after every trip. Use lens cleaning kits to clean the lenses - and with lenses careful handling on the field is key. Also very important - give the kit bag a thorough vacuuming during this time. And once a year send your camera for an annual maintenance/cleanup to the service center.

Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:20 am

SabreHog wrote:
Over the holidays I recieved a Nikon D5300 kit. It's a nice camera, but as I've looked back on the images I've taken over the past few months, I've realized that there seems to be a serious dust problem. Which doesn't make sense to me, as I've only ever had one lens on it.

For reference, this is what my dust reference shots look like right now:

https://flic.kr/p/SNH7Cg

Is it normal for a new DSLR to have this much of a dust issue, having never changed lenses, and only having taken around 380 photos? Should this be something I should take it back to the shop for? Because I can't figure out any way that I could have caused this.

I've become ever more paranoid about this problem as time has gone on, and despite my best efforts at protecting my gear the issue still continues to crop up. I store my cameras in ziploc bags inside my camera bags, and I clean the camera bags themselves out periodically. Does anyone have any other recommendations for preventing these problems?

Changing lenses outside, this is always going to happen. You can minimise it a bit by doing this quickly and carefully, and try to block the wind as much as possible. Dust is inevitable. I would just clone out the dust spots. Maybe if they get really bothersome, then send it off to Nikon. It is possible to clean the sensor yourself, but this is not recommended unless you know what you are doing. I've done it myself many times on D700, D3S and D800e and D80, I use the same method as Nikon does themselves and have their cleaning equipment as well. The FX cameras are harder to work on with their big sensors literally jammed in there. The trick is not using too much dehydrated ethanol or you'll leave streaks, a moderate touch, and of course to use the blower first to get rid of as much dust as possible before wet cleaning.

BawliBooch wrote:
Dust is pretty normal. Ofcourse our Canon's handle the dust & other conditions much better! :stirthepot:

I'm sure I remember something called the "Dirty D". (Yes, I'm getting older). I don't photograph planes these days, but I do remember that particular camera a lot. ;)

Before you rush to accuse me of bias, I've used both Canon and Nikon cameras at work. ;) A little bit of dust is not a great problem. My sensor cleaning is free of charge from Nikon. :D The sting in the tail is having to buy local sold cameras.. Next one is $9000... That's not including a lens. Someone at Nikon has dollar signs in their eyes..