Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

miamivice
Topic Author

Banding sky, how to avoid/fix it

Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:21 am

Hi mates,

having had some rejections for "banding sky", I'm trying to understand what determines this issue and eventually how to fix or avoid it.
Not thinking it might be a cause for rejection, also because so far I didn't know this phenomenon, I didn't consider it as a serious issue when I uploaded the photos and now I haven't a clear idea on how solve it. Maybe could the noise removal tool (Dfine in my case) be a good way to correct photos affected from banding sky?

Thanks in advance! ;)

spompert

Re: Banding sky, how to avoid/fix it

Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:18 pm

Hi Carlo, can you post an example? I had also a banding rejection lately and was not really able to fix it. But it depends on the way the banding occurs I think. Greets

Miguel1982

Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:17 pm

One of the most common sources of banding is the usage of the "shadow / highlight" tool (slider?) in Photoshop. While it can be useful to brighten up a bit those dark underwings and bellies, it also causes visible banding in uniform areas, such as the sky.

airkas1

Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:51 pm

It's a b*tch of a rejection, as it's usually unfixable. I've had several nice photos ruined by that and just editing those photos makes the banding even more obvious.

vikkyvik

Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:53 pm

airkas1 wrote:
It's a b*tch of a rejection, as it's usually unfixable.

Agree.

Personally think it's unfortunate that photos get rejected for what is often quite minor banding, since as you noted, there's really nothing you can do about it. It's often just a factor of the conditions.

miamivice wrote:
Maybe could the noise removal tool (Dfine in my case) be a good way to correct photos affected from banding sky?

In my experience, noise reduction makes banding MORE visible.

miamivice
Topic Author

Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:37 pm

spompert wrote:
Hi Carlo, can you post an example? I had also a banding rejection lately and was not really able to fix it. But it depends on the way the banding occurs I think. Greets

Yeah sure! :smile:

This is the photo I've uploaded and which was rejected.

Here you can find the same photo after equalization in which you can clearly see the banding.
https://goo.gl/photos/44ErwM7RhJEHPrEC9

miamivice
Topic Author

Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:59 pm

Thanks for all your answers, now I have a clear idea about this problem. It will be a new thing to check while working on the photos. ;)

From what I could see, this issue affected more other shots taken the same day with similar light conditions and from the same position
with respect to the aircraft. In the same sequence there are photos with and without banding.

airkas1

Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:36 pm

Yeah, that sucks. Interesting how you got it on a ground-to-air shot though. It usually happens to me when I shoot through the window on the plane.

vikkyvik

Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:45 am

miamivice wrote:
This is the photo I've uploaded and which was rejected.

Honestly, I can barely make out the banding without equalizing the photo. Kinda surprised it got rejected.

Are you compressing the photo at all when you save? That is, not saving at the highest quality?

miamivice
Topic Author

Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:24 am

airkas1 wrote:
Yeah, that sucks. Interesting how you got it on a ground-to-air shot though. It usually happens to me when I shoot through the window on the plane.

I supposed it might be because my home airport (Cagliari Elmas) is in the middle of a lagoon and maybe, during the hottest days, the water that evaporates fosters this effect. From what I remember, I had a few rejections for this reason and all the rejeted photos were taken from the same spot (my favorite one).

vikkyvik wrote:

Are you compressing the photo at all when you save? That is, not saving at the highest quality?

I'm used to save at the highest quality (12), using the "Save As" tool (CTRL+Shift+S) on Photoshop. Sometimes If I'm saving a batch of photos I also use the Image Processor always with maximum quality and without any compression.

spompert

Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:07 am

To me it looks like too much noise reduction. Well let`s say when I use to much noise reduction my photos look like this sometimes or at least it will increase it. Does you original ones also have the banding problem already?

greets

miamivice
Topic Author

Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:42 am

spompert wrote:
To me it looks like too much noise reduction. Well let`s say when I use to much noise reduction my photos look like this sometimes or at least it will increase it. Does you original ones also have the banding problem already?

greets

I was making some tests this morning and you're right, the noise reduction emphasizes the banding in the sky. However the problem seems to be present also in the original file, but not so accentuated and maybe in an acceptable level which would not result in a rejection of the photo.
So using the right fit in noise reduction I think we can get a picture acceptable for the Airliners' standards. As soon I'm having some free slots for upload I'll try to upload again this shot worked with less noise redution.

spompert

Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:59 am

miamivice wrote:
spompert wrote:

greets

I was making some tests this morning and you're right, the noise reduction emphasizes the banding in the sky. However the problem seems to be present also in the original file, but not so accentuated and maybe in an acceptable level which would not result in a rejection of the photo.
So using the right fit in noise reduction I think we can get a picture acceptable for the Airliners' standards. As soon I'm having some free slots for upload I'll try to upload again this shot worked with less noise redution.

Great! I personally think the banding should not be there in the original files as it has a really artificial/after editing look to it. Maybe play with the amount (%) of noise reduction and the strength of it. If the noise is acceptable just don`t use it.

miamivice
Topic Author

Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:39 am

I will try, thank you! ;)