Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Robert1010
Topic Author

New Maho beach cam SXM!

Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:56 pm

Anyone notice the repositioned cam at SXM? looks like they moved it away from the Sunset grill into a more central location facing west! https://t.co/TUjTdYPyRR

jackieman27

Re: New Maho beach cam SXM!

Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:14 pm

Awesome!!!

PC12Fan

Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:31 pm

Nice to see it back. Wish it was still at the bar location though. I liked the beach scene and being able to watch the "fence riders".

Good to see it back though. :bigthumbsup:

Noise

Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:25 pm

Oh no! I miss the beach scenes.

KiloRomeoDelta

Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:32 pm

Uh oh! This is disappointing. The charm of SXM is seeing planes land low over the beach. If you place the camera mid-field to just show landings from the front, it is no different from any other random mid-sized airport.

I hope they move it to a location where we can see the over-beach landings.

Robert1010
Topic Author

Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:00 pm

Agree with everyone else! Miss the beach and the music ha, I was at that hotel right next to sunset grill last year and noticed they had a little bit of remodeling goin on right there including what looked like a pool goin in on the deck , maybe that had something to do with it!

BenTheGreat97

Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:44 pm

The reason it went down was because it was being tampered with at the Sunset Beach Bar. Hopefully they don't have problems at the new location.

andrew50

Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:54 pm

They have the beach bar camera up now also, nice to have both views!

http://sunsetsxm.com/sunset/plane-info/.

jumbojet

Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:55 pm

with the KLM 747 gone, its just not the same. RIP Maho Beach.

kgaiflyer

Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:32 pm

Interesting reactions so far.

The new location on Beacon Hill Road is at one on the SXM airport car-rental agencies. They catch many more take-offs and landings with all-around better photography then the Sunset Grill location did.

But why would a.net folks be interested in that? :)

MSPSXMFLIER

Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:53 pm

The Sunset Beach Bar location was quite nice as it was great to see the off shore approaching jets and watch the cam as it panned to follow the low pass over the beach and touchdown. From what I both read and heard, there were just too many repeat issues with vandalism and tampering and it's unfortunate that the SBB staff couldn't (or wouldn't?) do more to prevent what was happening. The new cam has only been up and running since Friday evening and on their FB page, the operator mentions that they are still tweaking some things and that a new lens is on order for the camera as the current one was damaged during transit, which is affecting the picture quality, especially at night. I never cared much for the beach crowd 'sandblasting' shots, so I won't miss those at all. I like the new location which can provide closer views of the turnarounds at the end of the runway, show more arrivals and departures and better views of the terminal building.

dfwjim1

Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:29 pm

It seems like the new cam is also on airport property so hopefully it will be safe from vandalism.

MSPSXMFLIER

Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:57 pm

dfwjim1 wrote:
It seems like the new cam is also on airport property so hopefully it will be safe from vandalism.

The video camera and related equipment is not on airport property, but behind a commercial building housing two rental car companies.....Travel Rent-a-car & AAA Rent-a-car, located on White Sands Road. I've rented vehicles from there before and if you were to walk through their office and out the back, you can walk perhaps 50 ft. straight ahead of you before you come up to the high fencing that surrounds the airport. About 150 ft. beyond the fence is the edge of the runway. Look on Google maps and you will be able to see the building and their proximity to the runway. They are roughly 1/4 of the way down the runway, to the east of their old location at Sunset Beach Bar. I'm heading to SXM at the end of the month for a long planned getaway and can't wait to hang out at Maho for parts of my stay.

LAX772LR

Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:01 am

jumbojet wrote:

Hardly. They got rid of an old/obsolete model, for a more modern aircraft that enables a nonstop.

Win-win all around.

dfwjim1

Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:03 am

MSPSXMFLIER wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:

The video camera and related equipment is not on airport property, but behind a commercial building housing two rental car companies.....Travel Rent-a-car & AAA Rent-a-car, located on White Sands Road. I've rented vehicles from there before and if you were to walk through their office and out the back, you can walk perhaps 50 ft. straight ahead of you before you come up to the high fencing that surrounds the airport. About 150 ft. beyond the fence is the edge of the runway. Look on Google maps and you will be able to see the building and their proximity to the runway. They are roughly 1/4 of the way down the runway, to the east of their old location at Sunset Beach Bar. I'm heading to SXM at the end of the month for a long planned getaway and can't wait to hang out at Maho for parts of my stay.

First time at SXM?

jumbojet

Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:44 am

LAX772LR wrote:
jumbojet wrote:

Hardly. They got rid of an old/obsolete model, for a more modern aircraft that enables a nonstop.

Win-win all around.

I've been to Maho about 2 dozen times and I can say with 100% certainty that the KLM 747 was in fact the show stopper. Maho Beach just wont be the same without the queen of the skies flying over her majestic beach.

LAX772LR

Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:48 am

jumbojet wrote:
I've been to Maho about 2 dozen times and I can say with 100% certainty that the KLM 747 was in fact the show stopper.

That's not a fact, that's just a (1) biased (2) opinion that's completely (3) anecdotal as it's based on a (4) single person's observation rooted in (5) spot periods of time.

One could assert the exact same about the AF A340, and how much people there freak out when it's inbound or taking off... or really any large aircraft there.

I mean, I get that people have nostalgic attachments to obsolete things no longer offered-- but try not to confuse that with fact.

jumbojet

Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:09 am

LAX772LR wrote:
jumbojet wrote:
I've been to Maho about 2 dozen times and I can say with 100% certainty that the KLM 747 was in fact the show stopper.

That's not a fact, that's just a (1) biased (2) opinion that's completely (3) anecdotal as it's based on a (4) single person's observation rooted in (5) spot periods of time.

One could assert the exact same about the AF A340, and how much people there freak out when it's inbound or taking off... or really any large aircraft there.

I mean, I get that people have nostalgic attachments to obsolete things no longer offered-- but try not to confuse that with fact.

The facts speak for themselves. More people line up along the beach and the roadway adjacent to the runway when the KLM 747 approached than any other airline, including the AF340. The same goes for when the KLM 747 departed. More people clogged and lined the narrow strip of sandy white beach than for any other plane. I've been there countless times and have seen it with my own eyes. Long live the queen of the skies.

LAX772LR

Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:43 am

BenTheGreat97 wrote:
The reason it went down was because it was being tampered with at the Sunset Beach Bar.
MSPSXMFLIER wrote:
From what I both read and heard, there were just too many repeat issues with vandalism and tampering and it's unfortunate that the SBB staff couldn't (or wouldn't?) do more to prevent what was happening.

Terrible. Who would even do such a thing? :(
Hopefully just inebriated tourists... one would think that at least locals would know better.

PC12Fan wrote:
and being able to watch the "fence riders".

I'm just glad it's still even permitted!

Thought for sure that they'd crack down on that one particular activity, after that person cracked her head on the concrete after letting go.

jumbojet wrote:
I've been there countless times and have seen it with my own eyes

It'd behoove you to review points #3 and #5 above.

spacecadet

Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:03 am

LAX772LR wrote:
Thought for sure that they'd crack down on that one particular activity, after that person cracked her head on the concrete after letting go.

Was that ever actually confirmed or did people just assume that from watching the video?

ryan78

Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:58 am

LAX772LR wrote:

Geez, someone has way to much time on their hands... The "fact" that you are even arguing over this is ridiculous, everyone knows that the KLM 747 and SXM was the best thing since sliced bread! :lol: Anyways, glad the cam is back, even though it isn't in that ideal of a spot, I always enjoyed my Saturday mornings having a coffee and watching all the action on Maho Beach for a little while.

LAX772LR

Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:05 am

spacecadet wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

Was that ever actually confirmed or did people just assume that from watching the video?

Was what ever confirmed?

....that authorities were cracking down on fence riding? No, obviously didn't happen.

...that a woman got blown from a fence and bashed the hell out of her head? Yes. It's on video.

jumbojet

Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:38 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
spacecadet wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

Was what ever confirmed?

....that authorities were cracking down on fence riding? No, obviously didn't happen.

...that a woman got blown from a fence and bashed the hell out of her head? Yes. It's on video.

this photo of a KLM 747 landing very low over Maho Beach has very close to 2 million hits. (and no, I didn't sit at my kitchen table clicking on the photo over and over again)

https://www.airliners.net/photo/KLM-Roya ... 06/1252724

This one, an AF 742 has close to 1,400,000 hits

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-Fran ... 8BM/201517

No other plane gets the attention that the 747 does at SXM. that fact is inarguable. I'll take that one step further, no other commercial plane in history has as many hits on airliners than the 747.
Last edited by jumbojet on Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flymco753

Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:41 pm

I sit here and contemplate whether I want to blow my last flew paychecks, go up to the airport and head down to Maho for a few days. Reality is I need to pay for my bills so a web cam will do for now.

jumbojet

Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:50 pm

flymco753 wrote:
I sit here and contemplate whether I want to blow my last flew paychecks, go up to the airport and head down to Maho for a few days. Reality is I need to pay for my bills so a web cam will do for now.

you never know what tomorrow will bring. Go to SXM while you can.

flymco753

Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:53 pm

jumbojet wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

you never know what tomorrow will bring. Go to SXM while you can.
I hope so, each time I've gone it's been a great experience. At least I got to see the 747 one last time a few summers ago.

BN727227Ultra

Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:33 pm

jumbojet wrote:
this photo of a KLM 747 landing very low over Maho Beach has very close to 2 million hits. (and no, I didn't sit at my kitchen table clicking on the photo over and over again)

https://www.airliners.net/photo/KLM-Roya ... 06/1252724

This one, an AF 742 has close to 1,400,000 hits

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-Fran ... 8BM/201517

No other plane gets the attention that the 747 does at SXM. that fact is inarguable. I'll take that one step further, no other commercial plane in history has as many hits on airliners than the 747.

Wonder if the USAF could gin up a reason to put a C-5A into SXM...

richierich

Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:58 pm

jumbojet wrote:
More people line up along the beach and the roadway adjacent to the runway when the KLM 747 approached than any other airline, including the AF340. The same goes for when the KLM 747 departed. More people clogged and lined the narrow strip of sandy white beach than for any other plane. I've been there countless times and have seen it with my own eyes. Long live the queen of the skies.

I don't agree with jumbojet too often, but I think he is right here. Maho Beach is still an amazing place, but it is has definitely lost some of its airliner-related charm without the daily B747 rotation. It is a little harder to get excited about the next biggest aircraft to see SXM routinely, specifically the A330s and A340s.

flashmeister

Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:51 pm

flymco753 wrote:

Visiting SXM, Maho, and St. Maarten in general is fantastic. I'd highly recommend it. In addition to Maho, go up to Cul-de-Sac and take the water taxi out to Pinel Island. Hang out at the Yellow Chairs, lay in the sun, and throw back a few beers. Do some snorkeling. Then go back to Maho for dinner at Sunset.

Oh, and ride the fence. Just do it... but start out with a 737 or A320 and work up from there. I rode behind a few, but strangely enough the most intense was the Insel Air MD-80. It was closer back to the fence and they definitely stood on the brakes to give us a ride. That was harder to hang on for than the 787 was.

MSPSXMFLIER

Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:27 pm

dfwjim1 wrote:
MSPSXMFLIER wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:

First time at SXM?

Not at all.

dfwjim1

Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:23 pm

flashmeister wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

Visiting SXM, Maho, and St. Maarten in general is fantastic. I'd highly recommend it. In addition to Maho, go up to Cul-de-Sac and take the water taxi out to Pinel Island. Hang out at the Yellow Chairs, lay in the sun, and throw back a few beers. Do some snorkeling. Then go back to Maho for dinner at Sunset.

Oh, and ride the fence. Just do it... but start out with a 737 or A320 and work up from there. I rode behind a few, but strangely enough the most intense was the Insel Air MD-80. It was closer back to the fence and they definitely stood on the brakes to give us a ride. That was harder to hang on for than the 787 was.

And don't forget the French restaurant at the top of the hill on the French side that overlooks all of the north side of St.Maarten and the surrounding ocean!

Robert1010
Topic Author

Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:11 am

flashmeister wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

Pinel island is AWESOME , a must go! Also the town and beach of Grand Case are excellent, my next trip to SXM I will spend most of my time there!

Delta757MD88

Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:28 am

I get to see it all live from next tuesday for one week.....

MSPSXMFLIER

Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:28 am

Robert1010 wrote:
flashmeister wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

Pinel island is AWESOME , a must go! Also the town and beach of Grand Case are excellent, my next trip to SXM I will spend most of my time there!

Grand Case, Pinel Island, Orient Bay & Anse Marcel are all musts!

KTPAFlyer

Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:22 am

LAX772LR wrote:
jumbojet wrote:

Win-win all around.

Well, the entire point of SXM just went over your head (literally :D)

spacecadet

Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:18 am

LAX772LR wrote:
spacecadet wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

Was what ever confirmed?

I'm not really sure you understood the question. In any case, you didn't answer it.

Was it confirmed that she "cracked her head" open? "It's on video" is not a diagnostic tool that most doctors generally use. Lots of people bump their heads every day with no ill effects. (Yes, I've seen the video.) That kind of thing happens literally every day at Maho Beach - I have seen it in person, not just on video. The question is whether anyone knows any real information about that particular incident, or whether people are making assumptions based on a video as you seem to be. That goes to the heart of whether there's anything actionable that the government would even have cause to act on, which was the point of the original post I was responding to.

LAX772LR

Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:42 am

jumbojet wrote:
I'll take that one step further, no other commercial plane in history has as many hits on airliners than the 747.

You don't seriously believe that hits on A.net is a statistically valid barometer of what is and is not a draw, do you?

spacecadet wrote:
The question is whether anyone knows any real information about that particular incident, or whether people are making assumptions based on a video as you seem to be. That goes to the heart of whether there's anything actionable that the government would even have cause to act on, which was the point of the original post I was responding to.

First off, no one's claiming intricate medical knowledge of that particular incident, so not really sure the point of that tangent.

That said, you seem to be missing the forest for the trees here -- whether her skull was actually physically breached is completely moot and somewhat irrelevant:
The fact remains that someone was very visibly injured by the activity, captured on a film that circulated widely (heck, KABC7 showed it here on the news in L.A., with the caption [paraphrasing] "Could a risky hobby at a popular aviation spot be coming to an end?"), and I've little doubt that authorities gave some real consideration to what if anything would be done to curb the risk. That's all that was being expressed.

lhrnue

Sat May 27, 2017 8:02 pm

JetBlue aircraft sitting on runway with stairs attached. Inbound flights circle.

HoboJoe

Sat May 27, 2017 8:23 pm

Robert1010 wrote:
Anyone notice the repositioned cam at SXM? looks like they moved it away from the Sunset grill into a more central location facing west! https://t.co/TUjTdYPyRR

Re-positioned due to Bomb Threat on B6 1487 - that's what you are looking at - SXM is closed until further notice