Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

richcandy
Topic Author

What Camera?

Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:17 pm

Hi

I have just come back from a holiday to South Africa. While we were there we took a flight operated by Fedral Air from JNB to Kruger. There were lots of opportunities to take photos of aircraft arriving at departing at JNB. Then when we were in Kruger we went on four game drives and again lots of things to photograph.

I only had my iPhone with me and yes it did its job but the photos are not that great. A friend had a Canon T6 and at the end of the holiday I was able to download an app and then transfer the photos and videos from his camera onto my iPad.

This got me thinking I could really do with a camera. I would like a camera that I can change the lense so that I can take photos of animals, birds and aircraft. I also liked the Canon app and being able to transfer photos via wifi onto my iPad.

I don't think the T6 is available anymore, so two questions.

1. What has replaced the Canon T6?

And

2. Any suggestions as to what camera I should buy?

Thanks

Alex

Re: What Camera?

Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:53 pm

Hi,

a quick look at the Canon Homepage will reveal that the T6 (as a 1300D) is still available, it was only released in 2016, so it won't be replaced soon.

Any current DSLR that is currently available do the job for you. Go to a shop and see what you like (of Course it is also depending on your budget). No need to buy a top-end body for a beginner if you ask me, so anything like a T6 or T6i should be fine for you. But again I would really go for a "look&feel" experience.

oly720man

Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:49 pm

How much are you prepared to spend? Photography can be a money pit if you want a selection of lenses.

Pretty much any camera body will do what you need, depending on how many frames per sec you may want, the image quality at higher ISO, focus points, and various other functions.

The money is in the lenses and the better the lens, the better the image quality and the more you need to spend.

For aircraft a 70-300 lens will cover most eventualities. Canon do 3 different ones ranging from consumer to "pro" with prices to match.

This may not be enough for animals, though, depending on the animal and how far away it is. I've seen bird photographers with 800mm lenses and 1.4x converters to get photos of birds that aren't that far away, just so they can get the bird to fill the image.

Don't restrict yourself to Canon though, Nikon, Pentax and Sony do good cameras as well.

For reference I've got a Canon T3i/600D and a 6D, and a 300mm f4L and 70-300f4-5.6L lenses for planes, amongst other things, but those may be more than 3x what you want to spend.

ThePointblank

Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:01 pm

I would wait if you are planning to buy a Canon Rebel series DSLR. Canon is expected to roll out their updates to the Rebel lineup next month, which includes a rumoured Canon Rebel T7i, and the EOS 77D (replacement for the T6s).

You can either get the updated cameras, as I'm hearing that the new cameras will get Dual Pixel CMOS AF, and 5-axis in camera stabilization for video work, or get the older T6i or T6s cheaper.

I would not get a regular T6, as it doesn't have the updated sensor the rest of the Canon Rebel series DSLR's have. You would be happier with the T6i, as it has more resolution, faster processor, more dynamic range, and a fully articulated LCD touchscreen.