Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

vintageslides
Topic Author

What to do with my 4500 vintage slides and logs?

Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:55 pm

I have about 4500 airliner slides that I took between 1982 and 1989 primarily at the Toronto International Airport using Minolta SLRs and lenses, as well as a few taken in the USA. They have been stored in carousels in a cool dry place since then. I also numbered each slide and recorded most of the details of each of the photos with date, place, and any other information I could find including flight numbers and destinations, when known. There are a number of repeat photos of many of the aircraft, but also some very good shots of some very interesting aircraft. I would make a point of heading out to the airport to capture non-scheduled aircraft such as the Concorde parked at the gate in Terminal 1 beside a Nordair 737, and PanAm DC-10-30s and Hawaiian Air DC-8-62CFs running spring break charters to Ft. Lauderdale. I am looking for advice on what to do with these slides as I no longer have the intense interest I used to. I would like to try and sell the entire lot, but I'm not sure even where to start. I'm also hoping to find a good home for them where they will be used and appreciated. Your advice will be appreciated.

airkas1

Re: What to do with my 4500 vintage slides and logs?

Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:31 pm

Regarding a good home, you've certainly come to the right place. I can imagine there are still plenty of people left that are interested in old slides. I haven't dealt with such cases as yours, but I can imagine that people would like to know in what price range you put your collection. Would you be able to scan and post one so any potentially interested people have a preview of the 'goods'? If you need any help with posting a photo, let me know.

ThierryD

Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:34 pm

Hi there, I have sent you a private message concerning the slide collection. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Thierry

G-CIVP

Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:23 pm

There is a huge market for slides. However, I wouldn't part from them as your interest may rekindle. And if you want a historic record, scan them and place them on Flickr, although it would be a labour of love.

vintageslides
Topic Author

Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:53 pm

I want to thank everyone for their replies to my post. I apologize for not responding sooner, but I thought I would get an email notification when there were messages or replies to my thread. It was not an easy decision for me to look for a good home for my collection, but the reality is that I don't look at them anymore and I would feel better finding a good home for them where they will be appreciated rather than storing them forever. I will attempt to post a few samples from my collection. Please feel free to contact me with any questions, or to make an offer. Steven

vintageslides
Topic Author

Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:15 pm

airkas1 wrote:
Regarding a good home, you've certainly come to the right place. I can imagine there are still plenty of people left that are interested in old slides. I haven't dealt with such cases as yours, but I can imagine that people would like to know in what price range you put your collection. Would you be able to scan and post one so any potentially interested people have a preview of the 'goods'? If you need any help with posting a photo, let me know.

Please advise how I may upload a sample photo.

airkas1

Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:51 pm

If you upload the photo to an external site, you can post/embed the link here.
Alternatively, I'd be happy to host it for you if you E-mail the photo to airkas1[at]airliners.net.

airkas1

Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:57 pm

Posting this photo on behalf of vintageslides, to show what you can expect:

Mimark06

Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:39 am

Has there been any resolution here? What became of your slides? Have you had any offers, what are you seriously expecting for them? These could all be scanned to digital and there are a lot of people who would love to see them. As a spotter at YYZ since the nineties I can tell you that even the one example shown here sends tingles down my spine!

vintageslides
Topic Author

Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:25 pm

There has been no resolution at this point. I have not yet received an offer to purchase my collection outright, but I am now having second thoughts about parting with them. I was originally thinking the tipping point for me to sell the complete collection would have been in the $500 range. There are a lot of duplicates showing various views of the same aircraft, but there are some truly heart-stopping rarities such as the McDonnell-Douglas DC-10 Series 20 I was able to walk around, underneath and inside the cabin full of water ballast and engineering workstations when it stopped at YYZ on it's way around the world during certification flight testing. It is painted in MDC colours with "Experimental" titles over the entry doors, and was registered N141US. I have a number of slides of CP Air's DC-10-10s that they temporarily swapped for some of their -30ERs with United Air Lines. The -10 was not certified in Canada at that time, so they retained their UAL US registrations. Perhaps you folks have succeeded in persuading me to retain these slides and find the time to upload them to airliners.net. I don't have the passion I once had during the golden age of the airline business, but the spark is still there. In the meantime I have returned my collection to storage for the time being. Thank you all for your interest.