Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

G-CIVP
Topic Author

Where To Go Jan to Dec.

Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:47 pm

This one has always been on the forefront of my mind. At LHR, the optimium season for photography is late September through to early March (based on the assumption that it is sunny and not overcast!) Outside of these times, photography is difficult as photo spots are limited and the quality of the photos obtained won't be of a high standard; just see the photos on the database taken from Mrytle Avenue in July! My questions are this:

In the North Hemisphere, where should one go for quality photos between April and August?

And if money was no object, where in the Southern Hemisphere, where should one go?

I would be interested to read your answers. I'm after locations where photography will be easy, e.g. AMS, and one won't have a run-in with the local Law Enforcement Agencies.

Miguel1982

Re: Where To Go Jan to Dec.

Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:43 pm

I think something to consider is not only the month, but the time of the day. During the summer months you will find harsh light wherever you go if you plan to shoot from say 10 in the morning to 18 in the evening. Outside of those central hours, you should be able to find good light.

If I had to choose, and based on places that I have already been, I would try to go to airports having north-south oriented runways, as they will have the sun perpendicular to them early morning and late evening. Sunrise arrivals on Amsterdam's 18R are without a doubt some of my favorites during the long summer days, as well as the departures off Frankfurt's runway 18 in the evening. Shooting the early arrivals on ZRH's runway 34 under the first light of the day should be up on the personal preferences list too.

Some shameless self-promotion, all taken between June and August 2016.

Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:16 pm

I think you're a bit strict. While I agree that shots from Myrtle Avenue taken during midday in june or july don't look very pleasing, I still think it is possible to do some good shots in LHR even after early march.
I was there in early april last year and at least the light in afternoon (I was there from 4p.m. till 5 p.m. or so) was still pretty good. Perhaps not perfect, but still pretty good an I am sure most of us will see it like this, check the example here.

Otherwise I fully agree with Miguel, if you shoot in the mornings and in the late evenings, summer light can still be pretty good. That is what I recommended to a friend who wants to visit AMS in july. Wake up early, enjoy the early morning hours, pack at 10 enjoy the city, have a nice dinner and go back to the airport at 5-6 p.m. and enjoy the long evening.

Okay for example in FRA there is no really good morning spotl, as light will either come straight from the back or from the front, so it is not really worth waking up early (still the late summer evenings offer plenty of good spots), but in airports like Madrid, Amsterdam or Zurich this will work rather well.

Otherwise if there is anything very special coming during daytime in summer at my homeairport I try to shoot it very closely on the ground on areas with a light surface and with those reflections you can still avoid some of these awful dark shadows.
Surely not perfect, but I think it is still quite okay. Example taken on july 21st at 11:30 a.m.

Julien

G-CIVP
Topic Author

Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:45 pm

I'm not being strict, I just to be able to take good quality photos. I've seen some right shockers taken at LHR in May and June, and yes, I've taken some myself! Needless to say, I wouldn't go shooting BA at LHR during April!

Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:15 am

I've seen several posts in this style by you before, so I deliberately chose a few BA shots as an example, I could've easily taken others. :-)

I mean come on, in the end these were examples that the light might not be that awful in the other months as you described it depending on the time of the day of course - no matter if it is a BA or the Pepsi Concorde. Wasn't it the light what your post is about? :-)

G-CIVP
Topic Author

Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:22 pm

JK - Of course it depends on the light but the BA blue bottom hides the infamous grey bottoms in April to September. I know alot of photographers use the shadow/highlight tool to enhance their photos but I don't think they look right in certain circumstances.