JakTrax
Topic Author

Canon EF 24-105 f/4 L IS II performance issues

Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:48 pm

All,

Recently purchased this lens but am having real problems. Front/back-focusing seems to be a real issue; AFMA isn't helping, to the point where it's impossible to tell which direction the AF's going! Live view helps, as does setting the AF drive to 'one shot' rather than 'AI servo' or AI focus', so I'm thinking the lens has some sort of AF issue. When it does perform, it's razor sharp, but of a sequential batch of, say, 10 photos, only around 40% will be sharp.

Anyone else use this lens? If so, similar issues? I'm not convinced this is nothing more than a body/lens tolerance issue - a lens should be at least functional straight from the box, without the need to send a band new item off to the manufacturer for calibration!

I have noticed that several people have expressed similar concerns online, particularly with reference to extreme back-focusing. I have ordered the Sigma version in the meantime, in the hope that it performs better.

Cheers,
Karl

ThePointblank

Re: Canon EF 24-105 f/4 L IS II performance issues

Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:05 pm

What camera do you have? If you have anything other than a Canon Rebel series DSLR, you can do micro adjustments in the camera to properly calibrate your lens to your body. You will need a lens calibration chart to properly do this.

JakTrax
Topic Author

Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:00 pm

Please read my post again: "AFMA isn't helping". The issue was so bad that micro-adjust was almost useless - it worked for the 105mm end, but then I would have to re-do it for other focal lengths... rendering it pretty useless for aviation. The focus was also wandering, meaning that, in any given sequence, I would get a couple of sharp shots, then a couple of blurry ones, then a couple sharp, and so on. I tried two copies, both of which were returned for refund. The Sigma is much better, although it did need a little calibrating between 90 and 105mm using the USB dock. Still, even with the dock the whole package was only £635, compared to £1011 for the 24-105 II.

Canon needs to iron out the issues with this lens because I'm not the only one to have come across problems. It's a shame as it performed very well in static test conditions - the optics are certainly capable of producing crisp, sharp images.

ThePointblank

Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:09 am

It is hard to diagnose problems with the lens without sample pictures showing what you are looking at.

Also, the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM is a relatively new lens as it was launched with the Canon 5D Mark 4 just a few months ago. I'm seeing a lot of talk about the previous version of the lens, the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, which some users have reported a problem, notably with the IS.

You might also have better luck on a dedicated photography forum; I'm often on the DPReview forum, and I've found that the people over there are extremely knowledgeable in helping to diagnose if it is an actual equipment problem or it is an issue with shooting technique. If it is a equipment problem, Canon's customer service is extremely good at working with people to get a good resolution to problems, so I would bump it up to them if it is an equipment issue.

JakTrax
Topic Author

Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:09 pm

Thanks. Just to point out, though, that I'm not asking for help here - I'm merely detailing my experiences. I'm not a pro, but I've been shooting with all manner of equipment for nearly 30 years, so I'm pretty good at troubleshooting.

The issue is Canon's tolerances, and the fact that they can be so wide of the mark these days. There's absolutely no reason why a sequence of photos - shot at f/9 and at shutters higher than 1/500th - should display so many blurry images. The original 24-105 was susceptible to the odd focus 'misfire' but this is indicative of a more serious issue. Select 'one-shot' AF and the issue is solved (to the best of one-shot's ability anyway); similarly, if you use LV (which uses a different focusing method) the performance improves. Since I switched to the Sigma, I've had no questionable images, so clearly a lens problem rather than a user problem.

Finally, I'm not alone in finding issues - several reviews have alluded to some unprecedented back/front focusing problems. AFMA only works to a point - if you manage to calibrate either end of the focal range, that doesn't necessarily mean the issue will be fixed in the middle. Canon recommends sending the body and lens off to them for calibration, however it's not something I'm willing to do (because I feel their QC should be diligent to begin with).

G-CIVP

Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:36 pm

Karl, Are you using a filter on the lens?

ThePointblank

Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:31 am

Which body are you using for this lens, and how are you setting up your shots? Are you shooting handheld or on a tripod?

Also, personally, I never had any good luck with Sigma lenses, even some of their latest ones. I've found Sigma's copy variation issues and auto focusing to be less than quick, so I've generally stuck with Canon and Tamron lenses.

JakTrax
Topic Author

Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:49 pm

No filters, and I used the lens on three different bodies (50D, 80D, 6D). Never shoot with a tripod, and hardly ever use IS/OS.

I too have had bad experiences with Sigma, but the reviews of their new 'Global Vision' series lead me to want to give them another try. I can only speak about the 24-105, but I can say that it's better than both Canon's 24-105Ls.