HarryLi
Topic Author

Help for Sharpened in Photoshop CS6

Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:05 am

Hi everyone ,
The screeners always rejected me with OS this reason.It is a big trouble for me to deal with it . And i have seen the Editing Guide in A.net i have to say it is great help for me to follow it.But there is question. After sharpening when i saw some jagged lines in the title , REG number and other areas is good so i do not very clear how to deal with it.The Guide showed that duplicate the background layer and then sharpen then if lines appear use eraser to remove it.The question is here , when i look up for Eraser-tool in my Photoshop CS6 i can find 3 kinds of Eraser . One is Eraser the other is Magic Eraser too and there is a Background Eraser Tool.I don't know which should i choose . And ... i also do not know how to use this eraser to remover the jagged lines.Hope u guys can hlep me with it .I think this is important for me to learn it.Thank you for your valuable time and great help ! :D

Best wishes,
Junjie Li
I am a Guangzhou Spotter. My photos are here : http://www.airliners.net/search?user=20 ... =viewCount :D

airkas1
Head Screener

Re: Help for Sharpened in Photoshop CS6

Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:13 am

I use CS6 as well and this is how I do it:

--> Layer --> duplicate layer --> press OK.
--> Filter --> sharpen --> smart sharpen (values: preview / basic / default / 30% 0.3px / remove gaussian blur / more accurate).
--> Press OK.
--> Select eraser in the menu bar to erase any specific jagged areas (the normal eraser tool).

I usually repeat the above twice, although sometimes 1 pass is enough.
What often happens is that I do the sharpening process twice and only need to use the eraser in the second layer.

HarryLi
Topic Author

Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:30 am

airkas1 wrote:

--> Filter --> sharpen --> smart sharpen (values: preview / basic / default / 30% 0.3px / remove gaussian blur / more accurate).
--> Press OK.
--> Select eraser in the menu bar to erase any specific jagged areas (the normal eraser tool).

What often happens is that I do the sharpening process twice and only need to use the eraser in the second layer.

Ok thanks a lot Kas ! And another question is when u use eraser to erase do u usually use 100% to see the picture or more than 100?
I am a Guangzhou Spotter. My photos are here : http://www.airliners.net/search?user=20 ... =viewCount :D

HarryLi
Topic Author

Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:47 am

HarryLi wrote:
airkas1 wrote:

--> Press OK.

Ok thanks a lot Kas ! And another question is when u use eraser to erase do u usually use 100% to see the picture or more than 100?

And ... how to set the eraser setting data ? .0.0. why i do not see obvious change ?

airkas1
Head Screener

Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:32 pm

My eraser opacity and flow are 100%, mode is 'brush'.

HarryLi
Topic Author

Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:49 pm

airkas1 wrote:

All right... but why i didn't see remarkable changes in the picture :oops: ?Which layer should i use ?

HarryLi
Topic Author

Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:49 pm

airkas1 wrote:

All right... but why i didn't see remarkable changes in the picture :oops: ?Which layer should i use ?

airkas1
Head Screener

Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:01 pm

The changes are subtle with these settings. You should always start with the top layer. If you have used the eraser in it and the area is still oversharpened, you go down to the previous layer. And so on, until you're at the original photo.

scbriml

Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:28 pm

airkas1 wrote:

Doesn't this mean it completely undoes sharpening wherever the erase is applied? I have eraser opacity and flow both at 35% which means I can gradually reduce sharpening until the jaggies are gone.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

HarryLi
Topic Author

Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:30 pm

airkas1 wrote:
The changes are subtle with these settings. You should always start with the top layer. If you have used the eraser in it and the area is still oversharpened, you go down to the previous layer. And so on, until you're at the original photo.

I used this way to fix that photo again. Would u please help me have a look ? :shock:

jelpee
Screener

Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:41 pm

I looked at the image at full size and can see jaggies on the cheat lines. Overall image quality on this image is marginal...perhaps due to the harsh overhead lighting and perhaps some heat haze as well.

FYI, I use the Unsharp Mask(USM) for sharpening as follows:
Step 1: Select aircraft with magic wand or lasso.
Layer 1: Apply USM Amount=100%; Radius 0.3; Threshold = 0
Check for Jaggies and erase on the top layer as needed. Flatten
Layer 2: Expand selection by 1 pixel and apply USM again with an "amount" of 50%.
Check for Jaggies and erase on the top layer. Flatten.

This is about as much sharpening that I apply to most images..

Jehan
Airliners.net Crew - Photo Screener

vikkyvik

Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:41 am

scbriml wrote:
Doesn't this mean it completely undoes sharpening wherever the erase is applied?

It does indeed.

scbriml wrote:
I have eraser opacity and flow both at 35% which means I can gradually reduce sharpening until the jaggies are gone.

I usually have my opacity set at 50-70% (generally based on how much sharpening was applied - the more sharpening, the less opacity). Flow is set at 100%, but I have no idea what Flow actually does.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

HarryLi
Topic Author

Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:59 am

vikkyvik wrote:
scbriml wrote:
Doesn't this mean it completely undoes sharpening wherever the erase is applied?

It does indeed.

scbriml wrote:
I have eraser opacity and flow both at 35% which means I can gradually reduce sharpening until the jaggies are gone.

I usually have my opacity set at 50-70% (generally based on how much sharpening was applied - the more sharpening, the less opacity). Flow is set at 100%, but I have no idea what Flow actually does.

What about the size of the Eraser ?

scbriml

Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:26 am

HarryLi wrote:

Mine is set fairly small since I want precise control over the area I'm erasing. I usually sharpen at 100% view, then zoom in looking for and erasing jaggies. After a time, you get to know where jaggies are most likely, so it's a fairly quick process.
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

HarryLi
Topic Author

Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:31 am

scbriml wrote:
HarryLi wrote:

Mine is set fairly small since I want precise control over the area I'm erasing. I usually sharpen at 100% view, then zoom in looking for and erasing jaggies. After a time, you get to know where jaggies are most likely, so it's a fairly quick process.

Oh, got it . When i finish erasing should i combine the layers ?

airkas1
Head Screener

Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:56 am

The size of the eraser depends on the size of the area that I want to erase. Usually I have a value in the lower 20's. When done, you can just save the image and all layers will be combined automatically.

HarryLi
Topic Author

Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:15 am

airkas1 wrote:
The size of the eraser depends on the size of the area that I want to erase. Usually I have a value in the lower 20's. When done, you can just save the image and all layers will be combined automatically.

Ok , got it ! Thanks Kas. :D

HarryLi
Topic Author

Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:17 pm

airkas1 wrote:

Hey kas, i use the eraser to fix this rejected photo for OS.Would u please help me have look ?
....Actually i cannot see changes.

airkas1
Head Screener

Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:04 pm

Can you also link the old photo? Easier to compare then.

HarryLi
Topic Author

Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:23 pm

airkas1 wrote:
Can you also link the old photo? Easier to compare then.

Of course ! Here is ~ :shock:

scbriml

Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:59 pm

vikkyvik wrote:
Flow is set at 100%, but I have no idea what Flow actually does.

After I read this, I realised I wasn't 100% sure so did some digging...

With a brush tool, Opacity and Flow have the following meanings. These meanings also apply to the eraser tool as long as you have eraser mode set to 'brush'

Flow works like a 'real' paintbrush - as you apply it and brush back and forth, it will add more 'paint'. If you're painting with black and Opacity is set to 100% and Flow is set to 25%, then you would have to brush over the same area 4 times to make it black. You can do this without releasing the mouse button (think of the mouse button as actually pressing the brush on the image). Note - the 'hardness' setting of the brush has an effect on the result (the harder the brush, the stronger the effect).

Opacity works to paint 'digitally' - if Opacity is set to 50% and you're applying black paint with a Flow of 100%, then the darkest it will ever get is 50% black. In order to make it darker, you need to release the mouse button and apply it again. However, applying the brush the second time will not take you to 100% black - it will actually get you to 75% (50% of the remaining black). A third application will get you to 87.5%, another application will get you to 93.75% and so on.

I suspect I haven't explained that very well and It's actually much easier to understand by just opening an image in PS and playing with the brush tool while adjusting Opacity and Flow. Suffice it to say, by adjusting both Opacity and Flow, you have a very wide scope for how you use the brush (or eraser in 'brush' mode).

So, assuming you've sharpened on a duplicate layer, you can use the eraser tool (in brush mode) to selectively erase the sharpening. By adjusting the Opacity and Flow, you can control exactly how much you 'undo' sharpening with each stroke or application of the eraser.

Having sussed this out (and apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs), I'm going to look at changing my eraser settings to 100% Opacity and 20% Flow. This would mean that I would have five 'levels' of erasing sharpening - each time I go over a jagged area, the sharpening will be reduced by 20%. If I go over it five times, I'll be down to the original, un-sharpened image.

vikkyvik

Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:54 pm

scbriml wrote:
I suspect I haven't explained that very well and It's actually much easier to understand by just opening an image in PS and playing with the brush tool while adjusting Opacity and Flow. Suffice it to say, by adjusting both Opacity and Flow, you have a very wide scope for how you use the brush (or eraser in 'brush' mode).

You explained it just fine. Opacity works just as I thought it did - you never get to 100% (unless it's set to 100%).

Thanks for the explanation of flow!
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

airkas1
Head Screener

Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:08 pm

Good input Steve, thanks!

scbriml wrote:

Apparently it does :tongue2:
But I guess it is too small of a thing to really notice, as it's always worked fine for me.

yerbol
Support

Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:39 pm

Hi Junjie Li,
There are many reviews on youtube showing how post process aviation photos in photoshop.
With best regards from Almaty