Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airkas1
Topic Author

LHR photography

Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:10 pm

Hi all,

I'll be at LHR in the near future and am planning for 3 days of photos. I'm a bit familiar at the airport, but mainly with 27L/R arrivals.
The current forecast seems to indicate that this will be the runway direction when I visit. However, I want to be prepared in case it will be 09's after all (and for future visits).

So I'm looking for location tips regarding;
- 09L/R arrivals
- 09L/R departures (banking/climbout photos)
- 27L/R departures (banking) (only familiar with the Esso station (27L) & Wraysbury railway station (27R banking, but looking in the DB there might be a spot closer to the action?)
- 27R arrivals (only where to park the car and where this spot at the fence is: https://www.airliners.net/photo/China-Ea ... 43/2728665)

Any other info is of course appreciated as well :)

Thanks!

Kas

xxxpan

Re: LHR photography

Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:50 pm

Hi Kas,

My first reply here..

09L arrivals - the most famous one is the grass embankment. If you drive a car, go on A3044 and the grass embankment is right next to the bridge above A3044 (the bridge connects T5 and M25, but you need to drive around to reach A3044). I used to park my car along A3044 - but I have heard some people got parking ticket for doing that recently.
Once the sun turns against you in the late afternoon, you can go to the Thistle Hotel on the Bath Road, they have a terrace facing the runway. This spot can also be used for 27R departures. But I'm not sure if the light will work out for you in September...

09R arrivals - you won't get many actions for 09R arrivals (something like less than 10 for several hours for T4 carriers), don't really know any decent locations for this.

09R departures - for climb out photos South Perimeter Road is good enough.

27L departures - for climb out maybe also try the multi-level car park around the cargo center, I have stayed at the top floor a couple of times for a few hours and no one seems to bother to move me on.

27R arrivals - this spot is along the north perimeter road, but is not usable anymore due to the double fencing. I normally park at Hatton Cross station then take the bus towards north perimeter road.

Don't know much about the banking locations though - my 100-400L is not sharp enough at the long end... I believe for 09R banking you can take those from Feltham park.

Hope the information helps.

X Pan

airkas1
Topic Author

Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:18 am

Welcome to the forum!

And many thanks for your reply, I'm certainly able to work with all your info. I looked up the 09L location and I see what you mean. Not many places you can really park a car without being next to the road. I'll keep my fingers crossed it will be the 27's for the days that I'm there haha. Too bad that the double fence made the 27R touchdown spot is now useless. Never been there before, but judging the photos it was an awesome spot with the right light.
Thanks again!

Kas

michaelg90222

Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:49 am

Hi Kas,

I usually go to the park in between the M25 and the A3044 for 09L arrivals (51°28'40.0"N 0°30'01.5"W). It is very quiet and you're not right next to the road.

I think it's a nice alternative to the bridge as you're still at the same height due to the rise in the land. Its a very large area as well, so you can pick your spot: on top of the rise/at the bottom or left/right of the approach path and move as the sun moves so it's never in your eyes.

Just my 2p :D

Michael

airkas1
Topic Author

Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:02 am

Thanks Michael!
I did see that spot as I was looking on Google Maps. Any idea if I can park at the entrance (gate) connecting to Bath rd.? Or would I likely get fined for doing that?
Coordinates 51.478915, -0.499084.

michaelg90222

Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:29 pm

No probs Kas!

I have seen people park in front of the gate plenty of times before, but I've personally never risked it.

I usually park here: 51.480248, -0.491785, and walk. Its free at the weekend (although haven't been since about March). But you have to pay during the week (not sure how much. I never go in the week). Its about 10 mins walk away straight down the Bath Rd.

However... After a quick check on Google street view there appears to be unrestricted parking on the other side of the M25 bridge (here: 51.478377, -0.506335) which I have just decided I will investigate next time I visit :)

Kind regards

Michael

G-CIVP

Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:22 pm

"After a quick check on Google street view there appears to be unrestricted parking on the other side of the M25 bridge (here: 51.478377, -0.506335) which I have just decided I will investigate next time I visit".

Yes, while you can park there but I think the local residents wouldn't be best pleased. You will get that vibe when you investigate. As for 09R arrivals, they are few and far between, so I wouldn't bother.

xxxpan

Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:43 pm

For 09L alternatively you can park on bath road towards Kings Arm. There are parking spaces along the road - I think it is free during the weekend but need to pay during the week (and a max stay of 2 hours).

Anyway, there is a much bigger chance that the 27s are in use for this season...

XP

airkas1
Topic Author

Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:57 am

Thanks guys! Noted all suggestions in case I'll need them :)

G-CIVP

Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:47 pm

And if you do come, please don't upload any BA mainline fleet afterwards as we know what they look like!

airkas1
Topic Author

Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:38 am

G-CIVP wrote:
And if you do come, please don't upload any BA mainline fleet afterwards as we know what they look like!

Haha, everything is 'different' for me though ;) But I'll do my best. Weather forecast is looking great and I'm actually wearing shorts in the UK for the first time in years. Just hoping that heat haze doesn't ruin the shooting.

G-CIVP

Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:42 pm

Kas - were you at LHR on Sunday?

airkas1
Topic Author

Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:52 pm

Not at LHR, but I was in the country already. LHR was today and will be Wednesday too. Tomorrow's plans have changed a bit and I'm thinking of going to Duxford now.

airkas1
Topic Author

Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:30 pm

So today was interesting.. I ended up at LHR after all and almost felt like home with Schiphol-esque runway usage.

I arrived around 10:15 and the 09's were in use. I went to the location at 09L (thanks for the help with that in the above posts!). Around 11:45 I decided to check out Feltham park, what a great place that is! 400mm was more than enough and I think I got some pretty decent photos there. Lots of shade and a cool breeze blowing over the park.
At 14:45 I went to the Esso at the Southern Perimeter Road, only to realize that it was 13:45 when looking on the dashboard of the car... At that moment, a BA Airbus came overhead on final for 27L. So quickly changed plan and went to Myrtle until 15:00. All the good stuff subsequently arrived on 27R and there wasn't a good place to park the car GRRRR. Ended up at the Esso after all, but by now there were some clouds. Called it a day at 15:30 and by that time, some BA Airbii were holding for runway 09R... Never seen this many runway switches at LHR, but I guess the wind was exactly cross then (although I think it did pick up as the day progressed).

At least I now know my way around the airport better. If anyone is around tomorrow, come and say hi!

xxxpan

Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:05 pm

Glad the info helps :)
I have never checked out the Feltham park myself - is it easy to park around?
Tomorrow gonna be a super hot day so be prepared ;)

Would love to but can't make tomorrow unfortunately, need to work :cry:

XP

airkas1
Topic Author

Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:57 pm

Yeah, it was alright to park. Found a spot in one of the neighborhoods around it. <5 minute walk from the car to the park. Absolutely loved it.

RedSnapper

Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:06 pm

I was at LHR last week and wanted to spend a few minutes on the mound by the T5 roundabout. As I started to walk over I noticed that lots of "No pedestrians beyond this point" signs had appeared. As the weather wasn't great I didn't venture any further but does anyone know why these signs are there and if they are enforced so that access to the T5 mound and the longer route along the perimeter road and Stanwell Moor Road to the M25 embankment is no longer possible on foot?

Thanks guys

G-CIVP

Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:29 pm

RedSnapper - a slightly worrying development! However, I will say that I'm surprised that enthusiasts have lasted as long as they have on the T5 mound as technically it is part of the Motorway and you can be moved by the Police (as by Law, pedestrians aren't allowed on Motorways). If anyone has any more information I would be interested to hear. However, LHR is increasingly difficult to take photographs at.

RedSnapper

Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:43 pm

To answer my own question I was at LHR again recently and there is work going on to the fuel area adjacent to T5 which has closed the footpath at this point. I think that this is the reason for the signs rather than any attempt at deterring pedestrians from accessing the T5 mound.
G-CIVP I do agree that photographers have got away with standing on what is essentially a motorway embankment both here and at Stanwell Moor Road for longer than anticipated but hey-ho long may it continue.
Cheers RS

winterlight

Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:17 pm

I was at LHR today and was told by security that photographing aircraft on the ground was illegal !

airkas1
Topic Author

Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:44 pm

winterlight wrote:
I was at LHR today and was told by security that photographing aircraft on the ground was illegal !

Lol. Where were you at and what did you tell them?

G-CIVP

Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:27 pm

Winterlight - where you up some steps per chance?

winterlight

Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:22 pm

Up a tree along the A30. Still doesn't make "photography illegal", surely?

bombayduck

Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:00 pm

Maybe I am a horse chestnut waiting to fall out of the tree, conkers are not illegal with a camera are they? lol

G-CIVP

Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:03 am

Winterlight - you are a brave man, that's all I can say!

ian172

Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:50 pm

winterlight wrote:

I hope you told them where to go,i would have done.

Ian

winterlight

Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:55 pm

ian172 wrote:
winterlight wrote:

I hope you told them where to go,i would have done.

Ian

I certainly did. For what it's worth I also sent a complaint via the HAL site.

winterlight

Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:00 pm

I had a predicable reply from HAL today.

Thank you for contacting Heathrow.

Please be advised that security personnel regularly challenge people who are taking pictures in the area, given the nature of the airport environment and the current threat to Aviation. Security are within their rights to do this. Please be advised that we do provide allocated viewing areas for enthusiasts. Please use these area if you wish to spectate to avoid incidents of this nature.

Please do not hesitate to contact us by responding to this email if you require any further assistance.

Kind regards,

Miss Brogan Moore
Passenger Support
Heathrow

So apparently I should be using the northside 'grandstand' or Myrtle Avenue for departure shots...

Just goes to show how clueless this bunch are with regards to photography.

xaapb

Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:05 am

airkas1 wrote:
So today was interesting.. I ended up at LHR after all and almost felt like home with Schiphol-esque runway usage.

I arrived around 10:15 and the 09's were in use. I went to the location at 09L (thanks for the help with that in the above posts!). Around 11:45 I decided to check out Feltham park, what a great place that is! 400mm was more than enough and I think I got some pretty decent photos there. Lots of shade and a cool breeze blowing over the park.
At 14:45 I went to the Esso at the Southern Perimeter Road, only to realize that it was 13:45 when looking on the dashboard of the car... At that moment, a BA Airbus came overhead on final for 27L. So quickly changed plan and went to Myrtle until 15:00. All the good stuff subsequently arrived on 27R and there wasn't a good place to park the car GRRRR. Ended up at the Esso after all, but by now there were some clouds. Called it a day at 15:30 and by that time, some BA Airbii were holding for runway 09R... Never seen this many runway switches at LHR, but I guess the wind was exactly cross then (although I think it did pick up as the day progressed).

At least I now know my way around the airport better. If anyone is around tomorrow, come and say hi!

I was wondering, where can I look at your pictures ?

Greetings!

airkas1
Topic Author

Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:54 am

xaapb wrote:
I was wondering, where can I look at your pictures?

Hi Jorge,

All my photos taken at LHR can be found via this link: https://www.airliners.net/search?country ... splay=card
I still have more material, but I'm waiting for those lousy gray winter days to work on my backlog.

xaapb

Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:52 am

airkas1 wrote:
xaapb wrote:
I was wondering, where can I look at your pictures?

Hi Jorge,

All my photos taken at LHR can be found via this link: https://www.airliners.net/search?country ... splay=card
I still have more material, but I'm waiting for those lousy gray winter days to work on my backlog.

Hi Airkas!

Thanks, you got some very cool pictures, specially those ones from the airplanes banking to the right after departure from LHR.

Greetings.

HarryLi
Screener

Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:59 am

airkas1 wrote:
Welcome to the forum!

And many thanks for your reply, I'm certainly able to work with all your info. I looked up the 09L location and I see what you mean. Not many places you can really park a car without being next to the road. I'll keep my fingers crossed it will be the 27's for the days that I'm there haha. Too bad that the double fence made the 27R touchdown spot is now useless. Never been there before, but judging the photos it was an awesome spot with the right light.
Thanks again!

Kas

Actually I would like to know that is it difficult to park car in London when you are spotting ?

airkas1
Topic Author

Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:46 am

From my experience, not so much.

At Myrtle Av., you have to get lucky to find an open spot (take care to not block someone's driveway). But if there is no open spot there, there's a pub very close where you can park ('Duke of Wellington' on Hatton Rd). From that pub, it's a short walk to the spotting location.

At Feltham park, I went into one of the Streets close by (Houslow Rd. --> Fern Grove --> Nursery CI) and was able to park the car in one of the spots there (same spot on both days actually).

The toughest spot to find was for 09L, where I parked somewhere along Bath Rd. The actual location was on the South side of the road, diagonally to the left of the Northern bus stop, underneath that thick area of trees (on Google maps). Hope that last part made sense :biggrin:

G-CIVP

Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:14 pm

"There's a pub very close where you can park ('Duke of Wellington' on Hatton Rd)". I wouldn't park in the Pub car park unless you are drinking or dining in the Pub as that is a bit off and won't be appreciated by the Pub management.

airkas1
Topic Author

Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:13 pm

I got lucky twice then :) Thanks for the advice!

Smoketrails

Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:58 am

When I go to LHR I just book a hotel for a couple of nights and use the free bus service round the airport.

G-CIVP

Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:11 pm

On the third occasion you might get the car keyed, I jest not!

xxxpan

Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:55 pm

airkas1 wrote:

For Myrtle Av I would just park at the hatton cross station really, 5 quid for the whole day and have nothing to worry about.
Finally I went to the Feltham park last weekend (after so many years!), really great spot. I noticed that most of the other spotters parked their cars at Ruskin Ave. I didn't know that beforehand so parked opposite to the Feltham station, it was free on Sunday so no complains 8-)

G-CIVP

Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:16 pm

My boarder point is bad behaviour by overseas photographers at LHR, vice versa. I've seen overseas photographers literally run wild around Bedfont Football Club and go into the fields where the animals are. While in this instance there were no repurcussions, this behaviour may upset the staff at the Urban Farm, who in turn may complain to the Chairman of the Bedfont FC, who in turn, may ban photographers. Thus one random act of selfish behaviour, be it from a home based or overseas photographer has the potential to damage relations with local community. It is just a point to be mindful of. I will leave it there.

ua935

Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:07 pm

Anyone using the Bedfont & Feltham Football and Social Club to shoot 27L arrivals should be paying their annual membership. The club have been very accomodating to the enthusiats community and it's a great facility to have available to us for a very small cost. Please don't ruin it by using it if you aren't a member.

This is not a free location and is private property so if you are planning on shooting there or parking there you need to go to the club house and pay for annual membership

airkas1
Topic Author

Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:53 am

Can't believe it's been 2 years since this was active, time goes so fast! :wideeyed:

I figured I'd use this thread again since I'm thinking about another trip to LHR this winter. Main goal would be dynamic night photos and I still remember my way around. Thing is, in previous years I had a place to stay but now I would stay at a hotel. I know there are hotels with rooms that overlook the runway(s), but can't remember which ones. I'm hoping someone here can help out with hotel names and the room numbers from which you have the best views?

trevisan26

Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:21 pm

I have stayed at Renaissance Heathrow twice. I don’t remember the room numbers but both times they’re able to give me a room facing the runway. The downside is the double glass and it was quite dirty in March so any strong light will have a glow around. The other time (2015) I had access to the lounge club, it has a higher view, the glass was much cleaner and there was a small section with a single glass.

I would not recommend staying there unless you get the lounge access. To give an example from the room (quality was far from desirable but for the quick layover between long flights I could not justify the extra price for the lounge :zzz:):
https://i.imgur.com/7rjt3t4.png
If its a Dreamliner or A350 it gets even worse.

Cheers

Miguel1982

Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:29 am

You can also get runway facing rooms at the Premier Inn T4, but very much like in the Renaissance, you will be shooting through several layers of glass, so basically forget night shots there. Having such a room might come in handy if the weather during the day is poor, though. Some daylight shots from one of the higher floors:

Cheers,
Miguel

airkas1
Topic Author

Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:00 pm

Thank you both for the info! I've pretty much accepted the fact that I'd have to shoot through (several layers of) glass. @Miguel, do you happen to remember your room number?

Miguel1982

Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:04 pm

Not really, sorry. Just ask at reception (or even when booking) for a room with airport views on the higher floors. I think they are quite used to that request :)

wingnut

Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:28 pm

Try 773!, or 777 easy eh!