Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

spompert
Topic Author

Plane spotting Muscat, Oman

Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:48 pm

Hello, in some months time I have a few days in Muscat, Oman to do some sightseeing. Because of the exotic planes over there I really would like to do some plane spotting. Does anyone has experience with this around Muscat International Airport? I have heard and read that it is not smart to photograph civil planes in Oman and you could even be arrested for this. Is this still true and does that also include spotting inside the airport behind security? If it`s really not allowed I`ll not take the risk ofcourse but in the database there are a lot of photos. Any help would be appreciated. Greets

Cipango

Re: Plane spotting Muscat, Oman

Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:18 am

Generally, my advice in the Middle East is not to do any plane spotting as a lot of states strictly prohibit it. I can't speak for Oman individually, but those caught in the past in Qatar, Dubai and Sharjah have been arrested.

tonyb

Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:35 pm

I passed through Muscat in October last year, whilst travelling London-Dubai-London. I wanted to fly Oman Air as it was a new airline for me and to try and note as many Oman Air aircraft as possible during the couple of hours between connecting flights. I was airside at all times. I didn't have any problems logging aircraft either on the way out or the way back. I was fairly discreet when using my binoculars (they are reasonably small anyway) and on the way back I chanced to take a couple of photos through the windows. I didn't try to take any photos at the gate but rather I sat nearer the small café area that overlooks part of the main international apron and has views of the landing runway. I didn't attempt to take any photos if there was any security personnel nearby. Once again I encountered no problems but, as has been mentioned many times, spotting can be problematic in the middle east, so it's best to be discreet and, if in any doubt, don't do it.

spompert
Topic Author

Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:17 am

Thank you guys. I`ll see how things go, not worth taking a lot of risks...