Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jupiter2
Topic Author

Beijing airport hotels

Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:31 am

Does anyone know the name of the hotel at Beijing airport that over looks the western ramp of Terminal 1 and the threshold of Runway 36L ?

Planning a trip there and have seen photos taken from a building there, reportedly a hotel, they are too far from Terminal 1 to have been taken from there. Most Beijing spotting guides only mention the Langham and Citic, one is to expensive, the other a bit further away from the action than desired.

Thanks in advance.

cyx323

Re: Beijing airport hotels

Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:02 am

It is GreenTree Inn (Beijing Capital Airport Terminal Hotel), just on the west of Terminal 1. The best room for spotting is Room 503. Please note that there are several GreenTree Inns near PEK, the one with 'Terminal' in its name is the right one.

jupiter2
Topic Author

Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:54 am

cyx323 wrote:
It is GreenTree Inn (Beijing Capital Airport Terminal Hotel), just on the west of Terminal 1. The best room for spotting is Room 503. Please note that there are several GreenTree Inns near PEK, the one with 'Terminal' in its name is the right one.

Thank you very much :D

HarryLi
Screener

Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:23 am

The hotel is GreenTree Inn. Actually the best room for spotting is 506. Because the hotel has recently been redecorated and the 505 and 503 have set a new window so that it can't be a good loc for spotting but 506 can still take photo. If you want to order this hotel and this room I advise you that to remark you need 506 when you order on the Internet or phone. Hope it can help you.
Best wishes.

HarryLi
Screener

Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:42 am

If you want a cheap plan.Maybe you can choose another room to live and you can go to the Emergency Exit for spotting because there is a big window in the Emergency Exit.You can get the same view as 506 in this position because the exit just beside 506.However if you would like a comfortable environment for spotting 506 will be the best choice for you.You can enjoy WI-FI ,TV,Music you can also sleep but if in the exit you can't enjoy these.

jupiter2
Topic Author

Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:26 am

HarryLi wrote:
If you want a cheap plan.Maybe you can choose another room to live and you can go to the Emergency Exit for spotting because there is a big window in the Emergency Exit.You can get the same view as 506 in this position because the exit just beside 506.However if you would like a comfortable environment for spotting 506 will be the best choice for you.You can enjoy WI-FI ,TV,Music you can also sleep but if in the exit you can't enjoy these.

HarryLi, thanks very much for the info. Any suggestions on how to get to 16R if the runway ops are to the south ? I imagine a taxi is the best idea ?

HarryLi
Screener

Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:09 am

jupiter2 wrote:
HarryLi wrote:

HarryLi, thanks very much for the info. Any suggestions on how to get to 16R if the runway ops are to the south ? I imagine a taxi is the best idea ?

You mean 18R? There only 18R 18L 01 and 36R 36L 19 in Beijing.I think taxi is your only choice.If you want to take bus maybe a little difficult to take.Taxi is the most convenient way.But actually if the runway change from 36 to 18 you can still spot in 506 too because after landing the aircraft will taxi and you can take the taxi view.But if you want to take the landing view maybe you have to take taxi.Hope can help you.
Best wishes. :)

jupiter2
Topic Author

Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:21 am

HarryLi wrote:
jupiter2 wrote:
HarryLi wrote:

You mean 18R? There only 18R 18L 01 and 36R 36L 19 in Beijing.I think taxi is your only choice.If you want to take bus maybe a little difficult to take.Taxi is the most convenient way.But actually if the runway change from 36 to 18 you can still spot in 506 too because after landing the aircraft will taxi and you can take the taxi view.But if you want to take the landing view maybe you have to take taxi.Hope can help you.

Yes, I did mean 18R. I like action shots, so if I can get them touching down or on short final, rotating, climbing, I'll prefer them over ground shots if at all possible.

Thanks again.

HarryLi
Screener

Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:56 am

jupiter2 wrote:
HarryLi wrote:
jupiter2 wrote:

Yes, I did mean 18R. I like action shots, so if I can get them touching down or on short final, rotating, climbing, I'll prefer them over ground shots if at all possible.

Thanks again.

All right.So if you want to get there,taxi is the best choice. :D In addition,if you have some friends or you know some aviation spotters in Beijing it will be better.You can contact them to take you to there because that position is a little far and it is difficult to tell the driver how to get there.Or maybe you can use "U ber" or other tools.Hope can help you .
Best wishes.

jupiter2
Topic Author

Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:58 am

An update on this if anyone is interested. The room in question was actually 526, which I eventually got, after overcoming the language barrier and assuring them that I would pay the extra for the bigger room. The room itself is ok, but it is at an awkward angle for photos of the runway and taxiway. The windows at the end of the corridor, next to room 526 offer a much better view to take photos through. When you open the room windows, you also have to open the insect screen, which within a few seconds you will regret when mosquitoes start entering the room, but you don't travel that far to let a few bugs stop you.

The windows at the end of the corridor can be opened, which is just as well as the last painter through didn't care much if he splattered paint over the windows. The handle was broken on the window, no doubt by a prior photographer, but careful manipulation of the cable holding it closed allowed the windows to be opened. An excellent view over the threshold of 36L and the nearby taxiways can be had, though photos need to be judged through light poles, tails and APU exhausts. I was lucky I had some clear skies, though strong winds made keeping the windows open and not slamming into the side of the building, or closing, while taking photos, an interesting task.

The hotel staff got over the sight of a strange westerner taking photos after a little while, some even having a look at some photos I'd taken. Unfortunately, or fortunately, my visit coincided with a large political get together in Beijing. It brought many interesting visiting aircraft, but resulted in the western side of the large park next to Terminal 3 being closed off, that area looking over the VIP arrivals area. There was a huge police presence around the airport, but I had no trouble taking photos at any time.

I enjoyed my stay, though I did get sick of the sight of CA 738s, 321s and 330s, loved their 747-8s though. There is a large local spotting community, Chinese drivers are maniacs, older locals always gave me a smile and wave when they passed by me at the 01 morning approach location. Terminal 3 is huge, but soul less unfortunately. It is busy, functional, but just doesn't have the vibe that a terminal like Incheon had.

charles022

Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:43 am

jupiter2 wrote:
An update on this if anyone is interested. The room in question was actually 526, which I eventually got, after overcoming the language barrier and assuring them that I would pay the extra for the bigger room. The room itself is ok, but it is at an awkward angle for photos of the runway and taxiway. The windows at the end of the corridor, next to room 526 offer a much better view to take photos through. When you open the room windows, you also have to open the insect screen, which within a few seconds you will regret when mosquitoes start entering the room, but you don't travel that far to let a few bugs stop you.

The windows at the end of the corridor can be opened, which is just as well as the last painter through didn't care much if he splattered paint over the windows. The handle was broken on the window, no doubt by a prior photographer, but careful manipulation of the cable holding it closed allowed the windows to be opened. An excellent view over the threshold of 36L and the nearby taxiways can be had, though photos need to be judged through light poles, tails and APU exhausts. I was lucky I had some clear skies, though strong winds made keeping the windows open and not slamming into the side of the building, or closing, while taking photos, an interesting task.

The hotel staff got over the sight of a strange westerner taking photos after a little while, some even having a look at some photos I'd taken. Unfortunately, or fortunately, my visit coincided with a large political get together in Beijing. It brought many interesting visiting aircraft, but resulted in the western side of the large park next to Terminal 3 being closed off, that area looking over the VIP arrivals area. There was a huge police presence around the airport, but I had no trouble taking photos at any time.

I enjoyed my stay, though I did get sick of the sight of CA 738s, 321s and 330s, loved their 747-8s though. There is a large local spotting community, Chinese drivers are maniacs, older locals always gave me a smile and wave when they passed by me at the 01 morning approach location. Terminal 3 is huge, but soul less unfortunately. It is busy, functional, but just doesn't have the vibe that a terminal like Incheon had.

Hi jupiter2,

Do you have a link to the photos you took please? I am quite interested in the view from the hotel for future reference.

Best regards,
Charles

jupiter2
Topic Author

Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:13 am

Charles, Sorry no, but there are many shots on this site taken from the location, my editing skills aren't great. If I am ever able to upload some I will. If you see shots on here with aircraft over the threshold, taxying to or departing from 36L at Beijing, then they were most likely taken from the hotel, or another building nearby.

Room 525 which was opposite my room would also have good views and would have the approach to 36L visible from the room. Having said that, just staying in the hotel would still allow you access to the windows on the 5th floor, the hotel has it's own security, who will check whether you are staying there and ask you to leave if you're not. It's not expensive to stay there, it is a few minutes walk to Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 and from there you can get the airport shuttle to Terminal 3, so it's a good base to stay at.

HarryLi
Screener

Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:43 pm

charles022 wrote:
jupiter2 wrote:

Hi jupiter2,

Do you have a link to the photos you took please? I am quite interested in the view from the hotel for future reference.

Best regards,
Charles

Hello, Charles
I have some photos which took there :
( This is pushback and taxi )
( This is the landing view )
( Taxi )
(Taxi)
(Push back )
Photos like these are taken from the hotel. And i need to remind you that the windows here were changed to a small size windows recently which means that it would be a little hard to take photos now but still can. And if there are some VIP Planes in front of your windows please don't shoot them or some police would come .... ask you something ... :?
But you can spot there without VIP.
Cheers,
Harry

jupiter2
Topic Author

Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:32 pm

^^^^
Thanks for that Harry, those photos look familiar to what I took.

When I was there, there were many VIP aircraft parked in that area, all with there own guards and a command vehicle parked as well. I had no problems at all, they definitely saw me, as I was very open with what I was doing, but no problems as I said. Of course a different time and it could've been different.

HarryLi
Screener

Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:53 am

jupiter2 wrote:
^^^^
Thanks for that Harry, those photos look familiar to what I took.

When I was there, there were many VIP aircraft parked in that area, all with there own guards and a command vehicle parked as well. I had no problems at all, they definitely saw me, as I was very open with what I was doing, but no problems as I said. Of course a different time and it could've been different.

Yes, but sometimes why will come ... it depends on their mud i guess Haha. When did u go there ?

jupiter2
Topic Author

Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:02 am

I was there in May when the "Road and Belt" trade conference was on, lots of world leaders were there. It was a good and bad thing, some interesting visitors, but they closed the western half of the park near Terminal 3 for security reasons, so I missed out on using that spot.

HarryLi
Screener

Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:58 am

jupiter2 wrote:
I was there in May when the "Road and Belt" trade conference was on, lots of world leaders were there. It was a good and bad thing, some interesting visitors, but they closed the western half of the park near Terminal 3 for security reasons, so I missed out on using that spot.

Oh my god ! I was there too !!!

jupiter2
Topic Author

Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:00 am

HarryLi wrote:
jupiter2 wrote:

I was pleasantly surprised by the number of photographers that there were about. I was expecting a few, but at one stage there were at least 40 + people taking photos where I was. Unfortunately I didn't have the transport that a lot of the locals had, it was a bit frustrating when a group would suddenly leave, I knew something good was coming in, but I was happy with what I was getting and missing several planes to get one, well it isn't worth it when you travel that far.

HarryLi
Screener

Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:17 am

jupiter2 wrote:
HarryLi wrote:
jupiter2 wrote:

I was pleasantly surprised by the number of photographers that there were about. I was expecting a few, but at one stage there were at least 40 + people taking photos where I was. Unfortunately I didn't have the transport that a lot of the locals had, it was a bit frustrating when a group would suddenly leave, I knew something good was coming in, but I was happy with what I was getting and missing several planes to get one, well it isn't worth it when you travel that far.

Yes , there are a lot of spotters and I also missed many things there I also travel far as I am a Guangzhou Spotter. And many of VIP arrived at night hard to get. So pity that I didn't see u ! What a shame !