Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airkas1
Topic Author

Screening log explained

Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:47 pm

Hi all,

With the new site comes a new feature with your photos. In your photo corner, if you click on your photo (accepted/rejected), you will find a screening log for that particular photo at the bottom of the page.
For obvious reasons, it's anonymized. Because this process took place behind the scenes at the old site, I am writing this thread to try to explain  how it works.

Examples of the log
:

Options:
Priority add after -1 HQ = Photo has been direct added by the first screener.
Priority add after 0 HQ = Photo has been SO'd by the first screener(s) and got direct added by a second (or third, fourth, etc.) screener.
High Quality (HQ or HQ1) = First screener likes it, but sees a relatively minor flaw. Then he HQ's it so another screener can have a look. It takes 2 HQ's to add a photo.
Second Opinion (SO) = The first screener sees something major, but doesn't want to reject it for whatever reason.

Please note that if your photo gets HQ'd, it may still get rejected. So when you see "HQ"/"High Quality", don't automatically assume that it will be alright.  
There are also dozens of screener actions and it's impossible to write them all down. So this thread is to be taken as a guideline.

Similarly, in your personal upload queue (Photo Corner --> "screening" tab) you can see the status of your upload on the right side.

Example:

The options correspond with what I wrote above, with the addition of "Screening". This means that your photo is either awaiting screening or has been SO'd. To find out which one it is, click "detail" and scroll down.
If it says "High Quality", the photo has been HQ1'd.

If you have any questions regarding these features, please reply in this thread and I will try to explain.
Last edited by airkas1 on Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:35 pm, edited 10 times in total.

vikkyvik

Re: Screening log explained

Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:16 pm

airkas1 wrote:
Priority add after -1 HQ = Photo has been SO'd by the first screener and got direct added by a second (or third, fourth, etc.) screener.

You sure? My impression of "Priority add after -1 HQ" is that it's a direct add by the 1st screener.

Because I have some photos that have "Asks for second opinion" in the first screening, then "Priority add after 0 HQ" in the second screening.

Most of my photos that I think would be directly added by the 1st screener say "Priority add after -1 HQ". I can't imagine they all were SO'd before being added.

Unless this is different for photos added before the website upgrade. In which case, it might be good to state how it applies before and after.

airkas1
Topic Author

Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:58 am

Hi Vik,

You're right! I had that in my original post, but before posting I switched it around for some reason.
In any case, I just checked to be sure and I've edited the original post. I'll add 2 more screenshots when I get home.

JK

Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:42 pm

Is there also a screening que where you can see when your picture is being screened ???
I mean around within 24 hours or something !

Regards Johan Knijn

Still i am very confused and anger with the new terrible site...........

airkas1
Topic Author

Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:00 pm

JK wrote:
Is there also a screening que where you can see when your picture is being screened ???

No, this is still in the works.

Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:37 pm

Just to add to the confusion :-)

My newest shot:
https://www.airliners.net/photo/Thomas-C ... 14/2837603

hast the only remark:
"2016-06-19 05:26 PM : Screened
Screener Decision:
Priority add after 0 HQ"

According to your post above, Kas this would mean that "Photo has been SO'd by the first screener(s) and got direct added by a second (or third, fourth, etc.) screener"
But, there is only this one screening log and therefore it looks to me that the first screener instantly added it, without second opinion?

Additionally I think there is something wrong with the size remark with those shots that were transferred to the new site while being in the queue. Under the photo it says that the width of the photo is 1078px, although it is 1.600px wide. Good News is though it is displayed at a decent quality. :-)
Same goes for those 2 shots that are still in the queue that were still uploaded on the old site, remark says some pretty small size that I wouldn't even consider uploading at.

firefly_cyhz
Screener

Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:48 pm

Question, little off topic...anyone know how to delete a photo from the queue? Accidentally added the same one twice.

Moose135

Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:57 pm

firefly_cyhz wrote:
Question, little off topic...anyone know how to delete a photo from the queue? Accidentally added the same one twice.

I believe that for now, you need to send an e-mail to the screeners with your photographer name and the photo you want deleted - and it sounds like they have to reject it, until it is fixed, there is no delete button for photos in the queue.

airkas1
Topic Author

Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:58 pm

firefly_cyhz wrote:

E-mail screeners[at]airliners.net with the registration and your photographer name and it will be taken care of it (by means of a rejection, since we can't delete them from the queue otherwise either). The edit and delete button should be returning soon.

firefly_cyhz
Screener

Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:06 pm

Thanks, guess thats what I'll have to do. Hope the delete button is added soon!

HarryLi
Screener

Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:51 pm

If my photo my got HQ1 and is waiting for the second screener .How long should i wait?

airkas1
Topic Author

Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:45 am

HarryLi wrote:
If my photo my got HQ1 and is waiting for the second screener .How long should i wait?

Anywhere from a few minutes to a day or 2-3. Depends on when a screener decided to work on the HQ1.

HarryLi
Screener

Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:38 am

airkas1 wrote:
HarryLi wrote:

Anywhere from a few minutes to a day or 2-3. Depends on when a screener decided to work on the HQ1.

Ok thank you. :)

unattendedbag

Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:01 pm

I notice that, currently in the queue, there are a few days with <75 photos "in screening". 3 days, in fact, have photos in some sort of "limbo" while screeners continue to work on subsequent days.

Why are screeners continuing to screen new photos when these photos have been "in screening" for 3 days or more? There is no indication that they have been left for the head screeners.

airkas1
Topic Author

Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:29 pm

unattendedbag wrote:
I notice that, currently in the queue, there are a few days with <75 photos "in screening". 3 days, in fact, have photos in some sort of "limbo" while screeners continue to work on subsequent days.

Why are screeners continuing to screen new photos when these photos have been "in screening" for 3 days or more? There is no indication that they have been left for the head screeners.

Those are the photos that have been SO'd or HQ1'd. So one screener passed judgement on those and the photo are now waiting for another screener to look at the photos. But the first screener just continues to screen other photos. Otherwise we would have to stop screening all the time until that original small batch would be completely processed. That means we can only screen ~20 photos in 2-3 days. As you can imagine, that's not desirable.

Currently we also have 2 screeners in training, who only screen the HQ in the early stages of their training. So we try to leave the HQ1 as populated as we can (within limits obviously), so those people always have enough photos to screen. So it also depends a bit on when they have time to go through that queue.

I hope I managed to explain it well enough.

unattendedbag

Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:12 pm

airkas1 wrote:
Those are the photos that have been SO'd or HQ1'd. So one screener passed judgement on those and the photo are now waiting for another screener to look at the photos. But the first screener just continues to screen other photos.

I understand the process that a photo may need a second look by a separate screener. I, however, thought a screener not associated with the first judgement and not training would take a look at the SO'd and HQ1'd photos before continuing to screen new photos.

Prior to this update, I had never seen chunks of photos from multiple days sit in the queue waiting for a second look. I would figure a "second opinion" screener would screen the SO and HQ1 photos before "new" or "unscreened" photos. Is that not how it works?

airkas1
Topic Author

Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:50 pm

unattendedbag wrote:
I understand the process that a photo may need a second look by a separate screener. I, however, thought a screener not associated with the first judgement and not training would take a look at the SO'd and HQ1'd photos before continuing to screen new photos.

Prior to this update, I had never seen chunks of photos from multiple days sit in the queue waiting for a second look. I would figure a "second opinion" screener would screen the SO and HQ1 photos before "new" or "unscreened" photos. Is that not how it works?

It's not really how it works. All screeners are free to screen whichever queue they want. Some only do the main queue, some do the HQ1 most of the time. For me personally, it depends on what I'm in the mood for. The only exception are the priority screeners. They are supposed to first clear the priority queue, before continuing with any other queue.

All photos that have only had an SO stay in the main queue and are the first that a screener doing the main queue will see. So for example: there are 3 photos with 2 SO's and my photo is behind them and hasn't been seen by a screener yet. All 4 photos are in the same main queue, but the SO'd photos will show at the top.

On the old site, the equivalent was "XX photos in screening and XXX photos waiting to be screened", where "XX photos in screening" were the SO'd/HQ1'd photos. So the process hasn't really changed all that much.

HarryLi
Screener

Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:07 pm

Actually I wonder that why HQ need to wait a long time ?

unattendedbag

Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:03 pm

Does a photo of a 'new airline' get priority screening? I don't see where it says that in the "Priority Screening Guidelines".

unattendedbag

Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:53 pm

unattendedbag wrote:
Does a photo of a 'new airline' get priority screening? I don't see where it says that in the "Priority Screening Guidelines".

does anyone answer these questions anymore?

airkas1
Topic Author

Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:55 pm

Sorry, didn't see this before.

In short: yes.
As far as I know, the priority guidelines do state that new airlines get priority screening. I will double-check later.

unattendedbag

Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:24 pm

airkas1 wrote:
Sorry, didn't see this before.

In short: yes.
As far as I know, the priority guidelines do state that new airlines get priority screening. I will double-check later.

thank you sir.