Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

vishaljo
Topic Author

General announcements & discussions

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:20 am

EDIT Kas:
This thread was previously called "Photographer(s) Feedback on the new site". With the 'new' site launch 1,5 years ago already, I renamed this thread so we can use it for future general photography-related announcements & discussions.

Hello!

I appreciate the resolve to make the site better and on that, I offer my sincerest commendation.

The following is just request to add/alter something that I feel may make the photo browsing & viewing experience a bit better IMO.

I know the management may not like to hear it but i’ll say it anyways and I hope other passionate Anet supporters like myself may chip-in to add their thoughts/suggestions.

✈ Make available the cool blue, easy on the eyes background

✈ Ability to edit own remarks right away, currently even the photos in queue don't have any edit option available

✈ Comments with location like before & name of the person. Right now all comments show as anonymous

✈ The photo albums displayed below the photos don't have any titles or album info, if you can please make the album title & album info visible.

✈ Standard photo urls. Earlier https://www.airliners.net/photo/2828814/L/ or /M/ would do it, now there’s this long elaborate url https://www.airliners.net/photo/Antonov-Airlines-%28Antonov-Design-Bureau%29/Antonov-An-225-Mriya/2828814 and if someone makes a change to the airline name like just Antonov Airlines or ADB then would the url still link to the same photo right away or there may be a "The server returned a "404 Not Found" like how its now when you click on any of the legacy links?
I hope Anet can make the older legacy links https://www.airliners.net/photo/xxxxxx/L/ usable

✈ Return of the legacy Photographer’s Corner photo stats, analytics which showed how many photos you had from a particular location, airplane type, year, etc……

✈ Currently, if you click on a photographer name it takes you to the profile page - which is great!
Right below the photographer name is the PHOTOS in db stat but, its not hyperlinked. You can hyperlink that so it takes you directly to the photos by that particular photographer like earlier.
On that same subject actually, the info next to it VIEWS & LIKES can be also be hyperlinked to show photos by that photog sorted as per views & likes respectively.

✈ The info below the AIRCRAFT field has wayy too much empty space & it makes for a very long scroll on the mobile screens when viewing top of 24 or from India etc.... Perhaps cn & l/n can be clubbed in one like earlier? In all my years on Anet I have never searched for l/n.

✈ Because there is so much space available on this left aligned ^ field, Anet can also consider putting a small PC, EC or a TOD badge aligned to the right for the particular decorated image¿

moderators wrote:
We are committed to maintaining our position as the #1 aviation photography site, and to continue introducing our talented photographers from over 171 countries to aviation enthusiasts around the globe.

This noble endeavor may suffer due to the daily instapromotion of LAX photos & it's subsequent plugging of the front-page

✈ The TOP 100 link on the top bar can actually be renamed as Top Shots with a dropdown containing: Top of 24, 48, week, month, year, all time

✈ I just took screenshots of the current length of screenspace it takes to scroll through 1 image on the phone (where i feel a growing majority of visitors will be from) vs the proposed display roll which actually can be viewed in profile > photos: https://www.airliners.net/user/vishaljo/profile/photos

Anyways, I appreciate all the hardwork that must have gone into the redesign and look forward to a smooth experience.

Cheers - VJ

johnr

Re: Photographer(s) Feedback on the new site

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:34 am

How do you access the upload que information? Before the "upgrade" I had one photo in the que but I'm not sure if it's still there. Regards.

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:45 am

There is one Point I am really missing.

I see a lot of complaints about the new forums, but for me airliners is still an aviaition photography website after all.
The new design looks fresh to me, and I think one needs to get used to it.

Still I don't get while seemingly every aviation website goes for a system where you click on a photo and yet it doesn't open in full size. Unfortunately airliners made it quite complicated as well.
I open a photo and you have twice an enlarge option. Yet I can't tell which one the original size is, as on every size photos look heavily compressed and not really sharp. To me that is a really unpleasing experience.

How is this for everybody else?

vishaljo
Topic Author

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:55 am

johnr wrote:
How do you access the upload que information? Before the "upgrade" I had one photo in the que but I'm not sure if it's still there. Regards.

Profile > Photo Corner > Screening

johnr

Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:01 am

Thanks Vishaljo, I can't even see where "Profile" is though!

ptrjong

Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:05 am

Head symbol top right when you're logged in.

johnr

Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:10 am

Thanks, I can get as far as "Profile" but it has no options re photos etc.

airkas1

Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:29 am

johnr wrote:
Thanks, I can get as far as "Profile" but it has no options re photos etc.

Hi John,

You should find it as pictured below:

If the screening tab still doesn't show, could you please provide a ascreenshot?
I will see what I can do them (although the developers are most likely busy with more urgent matters, no offense).

airkas1

Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:35 am

JKPhotos wrote:
I open a photo and you have twice an enlarge option. Yet I can't tell which one the original size is, as on every size photos look heavily compressed and not really sharp. To me that is a really unpleasing experience.

Same. However the photo compression/quality issues are known and will be fixed.

johnr

Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:42 am

Thanks Kas,
When I click on the head I get a green edit profile prompt. Clicking on this allows me to then click on the profile box which only has a date of birth option. I'd show a screenshot if I knew how to do it but I'm not that computer literate.

vishaljo
Topic Author

Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:01 am

johnr wrote:
Thanks Kas,
When I click on the head I get a green edit profile prompt. Clicking on this allows me to then click on the profile box which only has a date of birth option. I'd show a screenshot if I knew how to do it but I'm not that computer literate.

Hi John

Pls bookmark this page: https://www.airliners.net/user/photo-cor ... /screening

airkas1

Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:02 am

Hi Vishaljo,

Trying to answer to some of your feedback:

vishaljo wrote:
✈ Make available the cool blue, easy on the eyes background
This has been mentioned a few times already to the developers and is on the to-do list.

✈ Ability to edit own remarks right away, currently even the photos in queue don't have any edit option available
That would be nice. It's been suggested to the developers to add, but probably not on the high priority list for now.

✈ Comments with location like before & name of the person. Right now all comments show as anonymous
Under the photos you mean? I guess this is nice to have, but again probably on the low priority list, considering the other bigger fixes the site needs at the moment.

✈ The photo albums displayed below the photos don't have any titles or album info, if you can please make the album title & album info visible.
I guess this is nice to have, but again probably on the low priority list, considering the other bigger fixes the site needs at the moment.

✈ Standard photo urls. Earlier https://www.airliners.net/photo/2828814/L/ or /M/ would do it, now there’s this long elaborate url https://www.airliners.net/photo/Antonov-Airlines-%28Antonov-Design-Bureau%29/Antonov-An-225-Mriya/2828814 and if someone makes a change to the airline name like just Antonov Airlines or ADB then would the url still link to the same photo right away or there may be a "The server returned a "404 Not Found" like how its now when you click on any of the legacy links?
I hope Anet can make the older legacy links https://www.airliners.net/photo/xxxxxx/L/ usable
It's been mentioned a few times in the site related thread as well, so when there is time, I think this will get taken care of.

✈ Return of the legacy Photographer’s Corner photo stats, analytics which showed how many photos you had from a particular location, airplane type, year, etc……
This would be good. I listed this in the to-do spreadsheet last night. But not sure what priority it will get.

✈ The TOP 100 link on the top bar can actually be renamed as Top Shots with a dropdown containing: Top of 24, 48, week, month, year, all time
I can suggest this, but it will probably be very low on the priority list right now (as I'm sure you will understand).

If there is anything else anyone would like to contribute or ask, please feel free to do so in this thread.

I'm genuinely relieved to see you guys aren't mass-attacking everything and have listed things in a constructive way (unlike the majoriy of feedback in the site related thread..). It's much nicer to answer to posts like these. Thanks for that! I realize some things will need fixes urgently and the developers are working hard on these. Please bear with me in the mean time. It's as annoying for us as it is for you.

airkas1

Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:05 am

John,

Vishaljo's method works.
But by the way you're describing where you're looking, I suspect you may have been looking in the wrong place.

If you go to the top of the page, it's the most upper right icon that you need to click to go to photog corner. The one below that will lead to the forum things.
See image:

johnr

Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:07 am

Thanks Vishaljo,
That seems to have done the trick.
Regards,
John.

johnr

Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:09 am

Kas,
I've only got the welcome icon. The one that you're pointing to with the red arrow does not appear on my screen.

airkas1

Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:14 am

There is a "sign in" link there. Use your a.net username and password to sign in. It should appear after doing that.

GregB145

Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:23 am

Just a small ask. I have just uploaded some photos and noticed in two I had the date wrong. There is no way to edit the info now (or i cannot fathom it out!) once they have gone in for screening.

johnr

Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:23 am

I was already logged in. I logged off an on again but still no icon.

vzlet

Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:13 am

The first thing that struck me is the large amount of scrolling necessary to see what used to be available at a glance. Bigger isn't necessarily better! Other points:
- On most pages the photographer's comment can't be seen at the same time as the photo. It's either not there or is a scroll or two further down the page.
- Photos are so large that in many cases, they're clipped:
What's the point of rigorous screening if this is how the premier aviation photo site chooses to present images to the public? As I'm writing this, this is how the current #2 photo is displayed on the home page:
Is that a good or bad thing for Lars Henschel?
Should a viewer click on the above shot on the front page, they're rewarded with the entire image, yet it's now smaller than the version they originally saw. Should they choose to enlarge that smaller (yet complete) version, they'll be presented with a near-full-screen-width version that (depending on their device/browser/window) may well look poor because it's now upscaled to larger than its original resolution.
I understand that this site is a commercial effort, and exists to make money for the owners. What has always drawn the "creative fuel" that powers that process, however, has been the fact that this is a great place for photographers to make their work visible. The format of the new site makes it harder to see and appreciate the photos that the photographers have shared.
-Mark

photopilot

Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:46 am

As an aviation "PHOTO" site, I can't believe how poorly images are displayed.

Here's a hint to the developers...... NOT ALL PHOTOS ARE HORIZONTAL!!!!!!
I have several (including award winning images) that are VERTICAL in format, yet the photo search pages only show images as a horizontal. This means that you only see a small horizontal slice of the vertical image. Heck, I have one vertical image and in the photo search results it basically only shows clouds and nothing of the aircraft. Who is going to click on that to view the real image?

What a poor way to display a photographer's hard work..... makes me wonder why I would even bother leaving my images on A.net.

But I also realize this site is supposedly still in development. So I'll give it until mid-September (90 days) or so to see if there are any improvements. If not.... time to say goodbye and delete my account and all my images. I'm frankly stunned to think that a site like A.net would change to a design that is so poorly thought out, so poorly tested, and so poorly represents their product (the photographers and photos). For shame!!!

Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:56 am

airkas1 wrote:
JKPhotos wrote:

Same. However the photo compression/quality issues are known and will be fixed.

Hi Kas,

thanks for the info. To me that is the biggest issue. After all, I visit the site to enjoy some high-quality shots.

Greetings fron Frankfurt,
Julien

vzlet

Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:57 pm

Despite the liberal use of white space elsewhere on the site, there's no gap between the primary image and the thumbnail bar:

airkas1

Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:48 pm

Hi guys,

The photo issues are something we are well aware of and it has our top priority. This goes for the the cut-off photos and upscaled photos.
With that, I'm hoping that the vertical photo issue will also be solved.

packman

Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:12 pm

Hi all
I can see in Photo Corner that I have two photos that are shown as screening but I don't seem to be able to find the queue status in order to ascertain whereabouts in the queue they are. I hope that somewhere you are still able to see the numbers of photos being loaded for screening and the length of the queue?

Also looking forward to a move away from the bright white screens which are affecting my eyes even though I have reset my monitor to minimum brightness!

Kind regards
Howard

airkas1

Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:24 pm

Hi Howard,

The forum colors are very high on the priority list as well.
As for the photo queue details, at the moment we don't have that function yet. I'm hoping it will be coming back soon.

Ytraveller

Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:07 pm

Airkas1, I suggest you open a separate FAQ thread under Civil Aviation (where it will get the most coverage), showing that you are working on the issues (from the photograph copyright bar to the color scheme). I think this will calm some people down to know the issues are being worked on.

miamivice

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:04 pm

Looking the new site, I'm pretty convinced that with the proper fixing of bugs and errors and after a period of running-in (for the crew) and acclimatization (for the users) it will express all its great potential. ;)

I'd like to report some bugs I've noticed while surfing the pages of the new site.

- From this morning I noticed some photos of mine are missing from the database if I search them using the search function, while they are all ok visiting my photo corner. I'm pretty sure it depends on the interventions of bug-fixing still in progress, but I thought it would be appropriate to share this information, in case it might be useful to fix any other bugs!

- The remember function related to the sign in seems that is not working properly as I have to repeat the sign in every time I'm visiting the site (using Chrome).

I have a question for screeners and all the crew: do you suggest to suspend the photo upload until at least major bugs will be fixed? Could it be useful for the work of developers?

Thank you! :)

Carlo
Last edited by miamivice on Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:05 pm

airkas1 wrote:
vishaljo wrote:

Under the photos you mean? I guess this is nice to have, but again probably on the low priority list, considering the other bigger fixes the site needs at the moment.

Comments have always been anonymous, it said "A visitor from Sweden wrote:" if a name was shown it was due to the commenter writing it, as I always did. From now on the username should be shown, and a thread like reply function has been added.

airkas1

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:15 pm

miamivice wrote:
- From this morning I noticed some photos of mine are missing from the database. I'm pretty sure it depends on the interventions of bug-fixing still in progress, but I thought it would be appropriate to share this information, in case it might be useful to fix any other bugs!

- The remember function related to the sign in seems that is not working properly as I have to repeat the sign in every time I'm visiting the site (using Chrome).

I have a question for screeners and all the crew: do you suggest to suspend the photo upload until at least major bugs will be fixed? Could it be useful for the work of developers?

Thank you! :)

Carlo

Hi Carlo,

-) The login issue (not remembering your username/password) is an issue we are aware of and this will get fixed
-) There are photos missing and some have been replaced by test photos. WE don;t know why this happened, but it's on our radar as well.
-) Screening is indeed suspended until the major issues are resolved. For the time being, some crew images will be screened to keep the homepage populated. These photos will be deleted once everything is up and running again.

miamivice

Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:23 am

Roger! Thank you for explanations!

airkas1

Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:55 am

To all,

Heads up from my side:
- Linking photos from your photo corner does not work. If someone else clicks that link, he/she will end up in his/her own photo corner.
- As there is no edit/delete button yet, please only upload photos that you're 100% sure of for the moment. In my opinion we (screeners) should be lenient regarding the photos that people have uploaded, unaware that they wouldn't be able to delete them. I will advocate this to the screening team. This so no-one gets an official warning/ban.

Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:05 am

airkas1 wrote:
To all,

Heads up from my side:
- Linking photos from your photo corner does not work. If someone else clicks that link, he/she will end up in his/her own photo corner.
- As there is no edit/delete button yet, please only upload photos that you're 100% sure of for the moment. In my opinion we (screeners) should be lenient regarding the photos that people have uploaded, unaware that they wouldn't be able to delete them. I will advocate this to the screening team. This so no-one gets an official warning/ban.

Hi Kas, have exactly this problem.
I wanted to upload a shot and received the error that the file was missing, although I selected it before. As a result I selected the file again, but now I have the shot: ID 3855633 and 3855631 twice in the queue.
But I can't delete any.
Could you please report / be aware of this.

Honestly I cannot believe that the edit, delete button is low on the priority list, it'll create quite some extra work for screeners!

airkas1

Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:14 am

JKPhotos wrote:
Could you please report / be aware of this.

I've addressed this in an E-mail to the screening team, to be aware of photos in the queue that shouldn't be there, but that it's not the photog's fault. That we should be lenient with these for the time being (until we get an edit/delete) button. This issue is actually high on the priority list (I just checked).

In the mean time, I would like to ask you guys (the photographers) to also not upload test photos or photos that you're not 100% sure of. If you are looking for feedback, you can still link them other ways (other sites, dropbox, image hosting, etc.). I'll be happy to take a look.

vishaljo
Topic Author

Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:26 pm

JohnKrist wrote:
vishaljo wrote:

Comments have always been anonymous, it said "A visitor from Sweden wrote:" if a name was shown it was due to the commenter writing it, as I always did. From now on the username should be shown, and a thread like reply function has been added.

I know, the location from the IP address is what i meant like it was earlier except, it would be nice to know who the person commenting is so the username displaying should definitely help.
Alternatively, Anet can have a Google/fb/twitter login like many sites (especially news sites) have to post a comment as the vast majority of visitors would be non-Anet members.

Adding to my previous suggestions:

✈ merging the photographer profile & forum profile into one uniform profile page - like before so that you can easily tell who the person is.

airkas1 wrote:
Hi Vishal,

I'm genuinely relieved to see you guys aren't mass-attacking everything and have listed things in a constructive way (unlike the majoriy of feedback in the site related thread..). It's much nicer to answer to posts like these. Thanks for that! I realize some things will need fixes urgently and the developers are working hard on these. Please bear with me in the mean time. It's as annoying for us as it is for you.

Anet wasn't built in a day & is certainly not going to be rebuilt in as much time either. As long as you are noting all the feedback & its assured to be addressed, and
airkas1 wrote:
It's as annoying for us as it is for you.

As long as ^ we can be patient in awaiting the outcome. :mrgreen:

JK

Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:00 pm

Hey airliners.net's

First i wanna say that i am not happy with the new site.... :oops: :evil:
It looks ugly and cheap.
I think everyone would have seen back the "old" darkblue site !

Why this new site ??
It was perfect for me and many others !

-No regi's pictures by the pics ?
-Where is the uploadque ?
-The "Top" photo is so big at the home page , so you never have to clcik on it ?
I hope you are gonne bring it up to the level we are used to.......

Succes and kind regards Johan Knijn ;)

spompert

Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:35 am

Hello there,

This is my first respond to the new website. My first reaction is that I don`t like all the changes but I can imagine that it was needed after such a long time. I can imagine getting used to the new lay-out and functionality after a while. Thanks for the effort that was put in it! These are my main problems with the site right now and how it is working. I know some things are already mentioned before and worked at, but there is also some feedback I have not seen before. I have listed them with the most important on top.

- not possible to see photos in real size
- where can I see added photos from the last 24 hours quickly?
- uploadqueue and lot of functionality gone
- I have to login all the time, maybe because of logging in from different locations, but this was never the case before
- in photocorner I cannot order my photos (views, dates, etc) there is a lot of irrelevant info on the photo (like uploadtime)
- not possible to see someone photos when clicking on a username in the forum
- in my profile it`s impossible to see the views right away, would be nice to have some other info as well along with the photo (like it was before), but if I search with my name I can somehow!
- the top5 is too much hidden with the numbers 1 to 5
- in my profile ordering photos by date just doesn`t work
- lots of ads, rather pay small fee every month to get rid of them
- no top 15 PC anymore?
- there are lot of different ways to see photos with their info (search, profile, etc, every time there is a different way the photos are presented), keep it simple/in one way

Hope this feedback helps and is appreciated.
Greets Stefan

fabrycape

Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:57 am

As well mentioned above, in my opinion:
- I think it's important to have the uploadqueue, with all the photos uploaded, not only mine! It's nice to have a check when my photo will be screened..the global screening process..
- missing added photos from the last 24 hours, ordered by last added..not by views!
-one of the most important thing it's the Reg of the aircraft..too many spaces with the info.
- Vertical photos option;
-Edit and delete options..I have two photos that I have to remove (the same photos uploaded 3 times).

In these days I feel quite disappointed about the new website..
Best regards and good work!
Fabrizio Capenti

airkas1

Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:16 am

I think it's important to have the uploadqueue, with all the photos uploaded, not only mine!

Will be coming back..

- missing added photos from the last 24 hours, ordered by last added..not by views!

Photos --> Search. By default you see the latest accepted photos.

Edit and delete options..I have two photos that I have to remove (the same photos uploaded 3 times).

Will be coming back as well.

Chukcha

Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:24 am

airkas1 wrote:
Hi guys,

The photo issues are something we are well aware of and it has our top priority. This goes for the the cut-off photos and upscaled photos.
With that, I'm hoping that the vertical photo issue will also be solved.

Thumbnails are back which is good. But how about the copyright bars on the thumbnails? They look really ugly.

spompert

Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:58 pm

spompert wrote:
Hello there,

This is my first respond to the new website. My first reaction is that I don`t like all the changes but I can imagine that it was needed after such a long time. I can imagine getting used to the new lay-out and functionality after a while. Thanks for the effort that was put in it! These are my main problems with the site right now and how it is working. I know some things are already mentioned before and worked at, but there is also some feedback I have not seen before. I have listed them with the most important on top.

- I have to login all the time, maybe because of logging in from different locations, but this was never the case before
- in photocorner I cannot order my photos (views, dates, etc) there is a lot of irrelevant info on the photo (like uploadtime)
- in my profile it`s impossible to see the views right away, would be nice to have some other info as well along with the photo (like it was before), but if I search with my name I can somehow!
- no top 15 PC anymore?
- there are lot of different ways to see photos with their info (search, profile, etc, every time there is a different way the photos are presented), keep it simple/in one way

Hope this feedback helps and is appreciated.
Greets Stefan

Hello Kas, is my feedback noted? I might also be wrong and just don`t know yet how things work. In that case please let me know. And thanks (you and the whole crew) for the effort put in the new website and for the communication about the fixes! I am beginning to like the new site btw and looking forward to upload soon. Greets Stefan

bombayduck

Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:56 pm

Why is there no number of hits showing on your image when first viewed. The only way I can see is only when you click on detail, do you find how hits each image has received. Sorry if I have missed something. It seems annoying that you have to click on detail to view your hits for each picture.

JK

Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:48 pm

What a disaster.....
Is it possible to turn it all back to the old loved blue ??
Why this ??
We will forget this great mistake :-)

Greets Johan Knijn

airkas1

Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:01 pm

@Johan: We will go back to the A.net blue (confirmed by DM). It's in the works.

@bombayduck: I've put it on the wishlist. Thanks for the suggestion!

@Stefan, see below:

This is still being worked on as I write this.

In the top menu bar: Photos --> Search. You will now see the most recently accepted photos.

We are fully aware of this and it's high priority on our to-fix list.

We are aware of this and it's on the to-fix list.

We discussed this within the crew and DM last night and this will get cleaned up. But might take a few, since we have more pressing issues to deal with.

I've added it to the list.

I don't get what you're trying to say. Can you try it in Dutch please?

I'll put it on the list, but this will probably be low priority.

https://www.airliners.net/search?user=37 ... splay=card
Please note that the search function is pretty extensive as well. If you bookmark the above link, you can always see your own photos and order them as you want.

It's a free forum now. I probably shouldn't say this, but you can use an adblocker to deal with this.

- no top 15 PC anymore?
I guess not. Atleast not on the homepage. But now you can see every photo that has been photog.choice here: https://www.airliners.net/search?photoCa ... splay=card

Psych

Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:10 am

Good morning.

I am pleased to say I've found something I like about the revamped site - the inclusion of the 'Photo Log' at the bottom of each photo, which tells us photographers the decision-making of the screener's reviewing our photos.

I've often wanted to know whether a photo was instantly added after one HQ, or whether second opinions were sought. So I like this increased transparency in the screening process.

Paul

P.S. Is it no longer possible to order photos - e.g. View your own photos on the basis of 'most viewed first'?
Last edited by Psych on Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

spompert

Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:20 am

Hello Paul, what stands the HQ for and other abbreviations made in the screeners log? Thanks

Psych

Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:31 am

Not sure about all the abbreviations, but common ones I'm aware of are 'HQ' for 'High Quality', and 'SO' for 'Second Opinion'.

spompert

Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:09 am

Thanks, interesting. I have noticed there is a difference between the top 5 and the first 5 best shot in 24 hours. Should be the same I would say or at least a bit up to date. Greets

ghajdufi

Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:06 am

>P.S. Is it no longer possible to order photos - e.g. View your own photos on the basis of 'most viewed first'?

Yes, it is possible to that.
https://www.airliners.net/search?keyword ... splay=card

These aren't all yours, I only searched for your name and if it is mentioned anywhere on the photo page the shot is included in the search results.

ptrjong

Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:31 am

Hi all,

While I'm trying to be not too harsh on the new design, and some things have probably been thought out well, I'm certainly not jumping with joy. Generally it's rather bland, lacking character. The roomy setup of the forums is just annoying - only about ten threads, and very few posts visible on a screen.

As a contributing photographer and photo viewer I'm particularly unhhappy about the following things, which may or may not have been mentioned before:

:arrow: I guess in-your-face-photos attract more hits, but I find the clipping of the photos inthe thumbnails unacceptable and disrespectful to the photographer. It should be enough that the thumbnails are bigger now.

:arrow: The term for the photographer's remark has been upgraded to 'caption', but it's not a caption at all when you open a picture; it's in 18th place, below every other bit of information except the photo size! That is ridiculous. The caption needs to be right below the photo.

:arrow: The aircraft type information given in the search pages is the generic type, which is a mistake. You see a photo of a Thai UH-1H and then you get a 'Bell 204/205/210 (H-1/40 Iroquois)' letter soup, as if A.net has no idea which of these it actually is.
Also, the reg needs to be with the thumbnail as others have said.

Also, where has the simple but recognizable a.net bookmark of the white plane symbol in the blue box gone? Now I see a colourless unclear graph of a stealth fighter with one wing folded, perhaps. Way to go to kill your brand...

Peter (oh, I also want the old smileys back).

Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:13 pm

JK wrote:
-The "Top" photo is so big at the home page , so you never have to clcik on it ?
Johan Knijn ;)

Very good point, I mean you just need to look at the current photo views they are decreasing more and more.
A lot of them don't even have 1.000 views or just barely more.

ptrjong wrote:
:arrow: The term for the photographer's remark has been upgraded to 'caption', but it's not a caption at all when you open a picture; it's in 18th place, below every other bit of information except the photo size! That is ridiculous. The caption needs to be right below the photo.

Another very good point, I know opinions are divided on that subject, but personally I like to read the photographer's comments, but as they are the aren't even recognizable and barely anyone will read them.

Cheers,
JK