Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airkas1

Re: General announcements & discussions

Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:40 pm

Hey E! :wave: Long time indeed, hope all is well.

IL76 wrote:
What happened?

Got some time? ;)
Basically it comes down to: Johan selling the place --> people leaving. Buyers messing up the site relaunch/modernization --> people leaving. Buyers then sold the site again to new and current owners. Others simply lost interest and left. The upcoming of social media likely also took A.net users/posters/photographers with them. Things seem to be relatively stable at the moment, although there is still a long list of improvements that need to be made. And yeah, some things never change.

IL76 wrote:
(PS, I wonder if Johan still visits occasionally, just for his own curiosity :smile: )

He hasn't given a sign of life here ever since he sold the site I think.

airkas1

Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:09 pm

Hi all,

We've updated the guidelines for creative photos. Have sent an e-mail to ask for the upload form to be updated, so hopefully that will be online soon. In the mean time, the guidelines can be found in this post:

-----

Creative guidelines

As a general guideline, creative photos may include (but are not limited to) some of the following attributes which are not commonly associated with database-type photograppy;

- The composition needs to be balanced (rule of thirds is a good baseline) and the aircraft can be off-center, provided there is some motivation for it.
- Distance can be judged less strictly – crop does not have to be as close as a database-style photo.
- The aircraft may not be the main focus of the image.

In some cases, other types are photos are judged as creative as well. To help clarify this, we have listed some examples below:

Q: Are photos that require the extreme limits of photographic equipment, skills, technique and processing, considered creative?
A: Not by default, but all factors combined, and depending on the situation and composition, they may be. Judged on a case by case basis.

Q: Are light trails creative?
A: Not by default and not if they’re just light trails only.

Q: Are silhouette photos creative?
A: Only in some cases, but not by default. A standard silhouette photo at dusk/dawn sky is not considered creative.

Q: Are low light photos creative?
A: Not by default.

Q: Are panning photos creative?

Q: Are high ISO photos creative?

Q: Is a wide crop due to smoke/flares/etc. considered creative?
A: No.

Q: Is an off-center aircraft with reflections in a water puddle creative?
A: Yes
(please note that the amount of aircraft reflected needs to be significant)

Q: Is a black & white photo creative?
A: Only when ‘it works’, such as for vintage aircraft or vintage looking scenes.

All photos are subject to screener discretion and interpretation.

airkas1

Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:01 pm

Hi all,

Unfortunately we've experienced a bug again where photo info/photographers get mixed up. A few of the names we've identified are Madpilot44, Denis Gonzalez Diaz, Bjorn Huke, Joop de Groot and Alexander Listopad. However, there are likely more photos/photographers affected.

If your photo is affected, please submit the necessary corrections using the photo corrections form. Sorry for any inconvenience.

airkas1

Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:56 pm

In the past day or so we've experienced some issues again.

- There is a chance that there are lost photos again. If you received an E-mail that your photo was accepted but the photo does not show, then please upload the photo again as priority, with a message to the screeners that it is a lost photo. DO NOT use the reupload feature for this! You can't replace a photo that is not there in the first place. This procedure goes for all instances that this happens, so I don't have to repeat myself so often in the future.

- The view counters are also stuck and we are aware. The screeners have been instructed to stop screening until it works again. It wouldn't really be fair to continue adding photos when the counters aren't working.

airkas1

Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:51 pm

A server has been restarted and at least the view counters should come to life again.

airkas1

Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:35 pm

View counters seem to be stuck again :sigh:

airkas1

Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:36 am

Counters seem to work again.

airkas1

Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:37 am

Counters seem to work again.

CassidysVacay

Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:31 pm

Thanks for the update Kas.

Runway28L

Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:51 pm

Just had two images accepted this morning and the counter on one appears to be broken. Stuck at 0 views whereas the other image is at 25.

airkas1

Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:11 pm

Everything's still stuck or unreliable :( We've been told it will get looked into tomorrow.

spompert

Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:20 am

Any news on the stuck view counters? It seems that they still don`t work. Hoping it can be fixed as the views are always a fun part of uploading photos here. Happy new year everybody!

airkas1

Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:49 am

Unfortunately no news on the view counters. Timing is horrible with the holidays and weekends. Hopefully it can be fixed swiftly when the holidays are over and everyone is back to the normal working days.

In any case, happy new year everyone!

spompert

Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:49 pm

Understandable. There seems to be some kind of view counter. Some photos do get views while others don't. So the top 24 is just random now or do popular photos still get to the frontpage? Good new years day everyone!

airkas1

Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:59 pm

I’ve been trying to find out why some photos do gather hits and others don’t, but so far I have no idea. So for whatever reason some photos do show views and those photos make the top/frontpage.

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:58 am

Hi All

As Kas noted some shots are getting views while others not. The developers are aware of the issue and have made some improvements for all shots but more work needs to be done. That will most likely happen tomorrow from the last I heard from them. Sorry for the inconvenience and happy new year to you all.

Paul

Miguel1982

Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:45 am

Counters are already looking better and more consistent! :)

spompert

Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:32 pm

To me it seems view counters are not working again. Not sure if it`s correct but a lot of photos are stuck at 0 views.

airkas1

Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:48 pm

spompert wrote:
To me it seems view counters are not working again. Not sure if it`s correct but a lot of photos are stuck at 0 views.

Thanks! Just reported it to the higher ups.

solro

Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:08 am

I think the counters are stuck again...Over 40 pics with zero views

airkas1

Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:20 am

solro wrote:
I think the counters are stuck again...Over 40 pics with zero views

I did notice what you meant, although it could have also been the interval at which the view counters are updated. I don't know what the exact interval is though. In any case, the counters are working now and this mornigns photos have views now as well. But thanks for reporting!

spompert

Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:56 pm

I noticed that the view counter is not working properly. A lot of interesting photos without views, some less interesting ones do get views. Seems there is a problem again.

Runway28L

Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:46 am

I too am seeing an unusually high number of images still stuck at 0 views.

airkas1

Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:29 am

They seem to be working again. Thanks for reporting though!

airkas1

Wed May 15, 2019 8:51 pm

Hi all,

It seems that we’re experiencing a bug that prevents the sending of screening result E-mails. We are aware and it has the attention of the developers. I will try to post hete again when it’s sorted.

If you receive a rejection with a personal message and you really don’t have a clue what it might say, you can reach us at screeners at airliners dot net.

airkas1

Thu May 16, 2019 5:24 pm

The cause of the above issue is related to a potential fix regarding the appeal E-mails to the screeners (we receive an overview of the appeal results to calibrate our screening). The update was rolled back some 2 - 2,5 hours, so in theory people should be receiving screening E-mails again. If anyone can confirm this, it would be highly appreciated!

Starfuryt

Fri May 17, 2019 7:39 pm

airkas1 wrote:
The cause of the above issue is related to a potential fix regarding the appeal E-mails to the screeners (we receive an overview of the appeal results to calibrate our screening). The update was rolled back some 2 - 2,5 hours, so in theory people should be receiving screening E-mails again. If anyone can confirm this, it would be highly appreciated!

received screening e-mails about an hour ago so seems to be working, thanks for the fix

airkas1

Fri May 17, 2019 10:33 pm

Thanks for confirming!

airkas1

Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:01 pm

Hi all,

The following has just been communicated within the screening team regarding judging whether a photo is level. Use it to your advantage.

When a photo is taken using a long focal length:
- Any vertical will do for a level reference
- If there are no verticals, check the horizon
- If the horizon can't be reliably judged, check if the subject looks level
- Benefit of the doubt may be given (for example when the photographer indicates that the location slopes)

When the photo is taken with a short focal length:
- Check for a middle vertical
- If there is no middle vertical, compare the horizon on both sides of the frame
- If the horizon can't be reliably judged, check if the subject looks level
- Benefit of the doubt may be given (for example when the photographer indicates that the location slopes)

When there are conflicting level indicators:
Does it look level? If yes, accept the photo. If it doesn't, reject it for CW/CCW.

Notes:
- If the sea is visible on the entire horizon, then the sea should be level.
- The CW/CCW rejection indicates what the photo needs, not what it is.

clickhappy

Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:25 pm

Awesome. Thank you for communicating this.

airkas1

Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:39 pm

Hi all,

We're currently experiencing some issues; photos are not showing up and the counters seem to be stuck again. We are aware and have informed the higher ups. Sorry for the inconvenience.

airkas1

Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:58 am

airkas1 wrote:
Hi all,

We're currently experiencing some issues; photos are not showing up and the counters seem to be stuck again. We are aware and have informed the higher ups. Sorry for the inconvenience.

^ this again :sigh:

Also photos uploaded in the past 1-2 hours may be broken; suggest to check your queue once things are back to normal. If the thumbnail is showing, things should be fine. If it's not, I suggest to upload the photo again.

airkas1

Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:55 pm

Screening will be suspended until the above is fixed.

airkas1

Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:09 pm

- All missing photos should be visible now/in the next few minutes. If a photo of yours is missing, please provide the ID.
- I'm going to assume the view counters are back online now as well, will keep an eye on that.
- Photos I uploaded today are now visible in my photo corner, so I'm going to assume that this is working OK now as well. But to be sure, if you uploaded photos today, check your photo corner. If the thumbnail is visible, you should be OK.

airkas1

Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:38 am

Same sh*t, different day :sigh:

flee

Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:14 pm

Oh dear, this is getting to be serious!

airkas1

Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:30 am

We are aware of recently accepted images not loading properly.

airkas1

Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:46 pm

Fixed again.

airkas1

Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:03 pm

Hi all,

Some of you may have noticed, but the reupload feature is quite buggy. Some users experience a bug where their reuploaded photos are not replacing the original image. Recently, I've experienced the bug where I reupload a photo in a larger size and instead of it replacing the original photo, the original photo gets blown up to the size of the new image. Resulting in a seemingly very poor quality image. I've reported this a couple of times, but it's still buggy. That's why until further notice, we will not be accepting any reuploads. Very sorry for any inconvenience.

airkas1

Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:04 pm

Hi all,

Regarding photos sometimes being shown in the wrong order of views:

VS:
The page is rendered based on the view counters that are stored in the DB. The counters are compiled using stats which are saved in X by the website. The gathering of the counter statistics is done by a few scripts which run on the Y server.

Me:
So if I understand it correctly, photos are sorted/shown in the order of the internal DB view counters, which may not always be the same as the visible view counters? I assume that has to do with the 'certain amount of views needed for a visible increase' principle?

VS:
Kas, I think you are on the right track - Having a constant real time update for every bit of changing information isn't possible. Only some information is updated immediately. Other information (like view counts Brandon confirmed above) would be updated via jobs/scripts that run at defined intervals.

So ideally, job would run, the counters would update, the page would be rendered with that updated information, and all is well. but as we've seen with Airliners before, sometimes those jobs don't always finish in a defined time, may run slow due to other factors, perhaps another job is set to do a specific thing - (I don't know all the detailed ins and outs of Airliners - it's a really complex thing - so this is just general info). So it looks like the page is rendered while that job may still be running and gathering new information.All the complicated behind the scenes happenings with the way Airliners is built contributes to these sorts of issues, like where counters get stuck (which doesn't seem like it's happened as often as it used to, after our team made some behind the scenes changes).

This complicated structure also contributes to issues like user or forum permissions being a bit inconsistent or not working as they are set to be - like the team forum. What settings look like should grant someone permission to view may not, because of something somewhere else which may conflict. I'm not a developer, but I do get how complex it can be on a site like this, with pieces and parts built at different times by different people over time. It makes it really challenging to support and even more challenging to try to plan out a long term resolution when a site has grown to the scale that Airliners has, especially as platforms age over time and get more difficult to support or deprecated entirely.

In short, this means there likely isn't a short term solution for this.

solro

Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:27 pm

airkas1 wrote:
I'm not a developer, but I do get how complex it can be on a site like this, with pieces and parts built at different times by different people over time. It makes it really challenging to support and even more challenging to try to plan out a long term resolution when a site has grown to the scale that Airliners has, especially as platforms age over time and get more difficult to support or deprecated entirely.

I am not a developer but this clearly shows that the second built of the site was from proffesionals who didn't show any proffesionalism. All of us can understand that the previous site was written by amateurs over the years. Listening the same argument for something that was supposed to cure this exact problem is the last thing I expected to hear.

PS. I am aware that the current owner didn't built the current version of the site.

airkas1

Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:40 am

solro wrote:
I am not a developer but this clearly shows that the second built of the site was from proffesionals who didn't show any proffesionalism. All of us can understand that the previous site was written by amateurs over the years. Listening the same argument for something that was supposed to cure this exact problem is the last thing I expected to hear.

PS. I am aware that the current owner didn't built the current version of the site.

I share your thoughts. The previous owners (the ones who did the site relaunch) pushed their deadline, even though the site was far from fully operational (and fully tested).

airkas1

Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:23 am

airkas1 wrote:
Hi all,

Some of you may have noticed, but the reupload feature is quite buggy. Some users experience a bug where their reuploaded photos are not replacing the original image. Recently, I've experienced the bug where I reupload a photo in a larger size and instead of it replacing the original photo, the original photo gets blown up to the size of the new image. Resulting in a seemingly very poor quality image. I've reported this a couple of times, but it's still buggy. That's why until further notice, we will not be accepting any reuploads. Very sorry for any inconvenience.

We will try to add reuploads, but please keep in mind:
For the people that the reupload function does work for, a replacement image needs to be the exact same size as the photo that will be replaced. This to avoid replaced photos being 'blown up'.

airkas1

Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:45 pm

Hi all,

The screeners have been instructed to be more on the lookout for incorrect info accompanying photos. This also includes locations. We are aware that that duplicate entries exist, so please take the extra second to make sure you tick the correct box. This also goes for all other info. The autocomplete is not always correct, especially as previous users have corrupted the feature by supplying incorrect incormation. Information on what we regard to be correct info is can be found in the upload & acceptance guide.

We prefer to not reject for information, especially if it's a relatively minor issue, but sometimes it has to be done to bring the point across. When in doubt, please ask via E-mail or in a feedback thread and we will gladly help.

airkas1

Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:40 pm

Hi all,

As you probably noticed, newly added photos aren't showing. We're aware and hoping for a fix as soon as possible. Sorry for the inconvenience.

airkas1

Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:10 am

airkas1 wrote:
Hi all,

As you probably noticed, newly added photos aren't showing. We're aware and hoping for a fix as soon as possible. Sorry for the inconvenience.

This again.
You may also notice thumbnails not working in your photo corner and currently queued photos seemingly stuck in limbo. This should all be back to normal once the issue is fixed, but please do check your queue before the photos hit screening! Any photos uploaded in the mean time should go through fine, but one-offs may happen.

airkas1

Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:10 pm

airkas1 wrote:
airkas1 wrote:
Hi all,

This again.
You may also notice thumbnails not working in your photo corner and currently queued photos seemingly stuck in limbo. This should all be back to normal once the issue is fixed, but please do check your queue before the photos hit screening! Any photos uploaded in the mean time should go through fine, but one-offs may happen.

Same sh*t, different day.

spompert

Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:59 pm

airkas1 wrote:
Hi all,

Not sure but it looks like this is happening again, at least with my accepted photo.