Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Navigator

Re: Photographer(s) Feedback on the new site

Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:44 am

The new site makes you completely lose your overview. It is messy and parts of the images are often hidden by navigation arrows that must be removed with the mouse. Now A:net also seems to scale up pictures with lower resolution which makes picture blurry and uninteresting to view in certain modes. One problem that has existed since before is that news pictures are not separated enough from the other images in the screening. It makes the news value of A:net partially lost unfortunately. It takes much too long for newsworthy pictures to get its way into A: net if they turn up at all. This is a very sad development and unfortunately I think A:net has already lost important ground on the internet. Because overview is lost , I think the site will lose popularity.

Fly-K

Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:14 pm

airkas1 wrote:
miamivice wrote:
Update: now it seems to be back all ok! All the photos are visible.

Good to hear! :)

I still have this problem, but I can narrow it down to those cases where the Image is in a certain category, e.g. airport overview. Then it only becomes visible 24 hours after acceptance, which is a shame as normally this Image category receives a lot of views, but now it completely drops out of the 24h rotation and afterwards goes almost unnoticed. I've had this happen 4 times until now. It would be great if this could be fixed - thanks!

airkas1

Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:28 pm

Fly-K wrote:
I still have this problem, but I can narrow it down to those cases where the Image is in a certain category, e.g. airport overview. Then it only becomes visible 24 hours after acceptance, which is a shame as normally this Image category receives a lot of views, but now it completely drops out of the 24h rotation and afterwards goes almost unnoticed. I've had this happen 4 times until now. It would be great if this could be fixed - thanks!

Thanks! I've passed your words on to the developers. They will investigate today.

Fly-K

Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:03 pm

airkas1 wrote:
Fly-K wrote:

Thanks! I've passed your words on to the developers. They will investigate today.

Thanks a lot!
Specifically, it is currently these two images that are affected:
https://www.airliners.net/user/photo-cor ... to/3940191
https://www.airliners.net/user/photo-cor ... to/3940213

ptrjong

Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:33 pm

The aircraft type displayed on the search pages is now finally the version rather than the generic type, which is so much better! Thanks for the efforts to improve the site.

The 'detail view' of the search pages still does not look good, with very small thumbnails on many screens. If the developers are struggling with this, I have a suggestion: get rid of the detail view altogether and expand the card view (which looks pleasant now) with one more bit of information, the photo caption. It needs to be only two or three lines - if a caption exceeds this length, we'll have to click on the picture to read the rest, which yields clicks to the site and the photographer.

Peter

airkas1

Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:02 pm

That's not a bad suggestion Peter, I'll pass it on. No guarantees of course.

airkas1

Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:42 pm

We're excited to announce a new way to embed A.net photos into forum posts. We've created three new BBCodes called: photoid, twoid, and threeid. Pick one of these BBCodes (see examples below) and enter it into your post's body on the editing page. Then, enter the photo ID/s of the photo/s you'd like to embed in between the opening and closing BBCode brackets. Make sure to enter 1, 2 or 3 photo IDs to match the BBCode you select. Also, please separate multiple photo IDs with commas (and no spaces!). If you are having trouble, please remove any spaces in between the opening and closing BBCode brackets and then use the preview feature to double check your work!

Please leave any feedback regarding photo embedding in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1335263

rpd14

Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:37 pm

I have little problem when I try to fill up Generic type in manual because this registration doesn't yet on the database. I want to upload the plane with register LD-0113, it should be Korea Aerospace KT-1/KO-1 Woong-Bee but when I tick new entry, it just appear KT-1 and KT1-P on the version. What should I do for this upload for the correct information? thanks

airkas1

Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:46 am

rpd14 wrote:
I have little problem when I try to fill up Generic type in manual because this registration doesn't yet on the database. I want to upload the plane with register LD-0113, it should be Korea Aerospace KT-1/KO-1 Woong-Bee but when I tick new entry, it just appear KT-1 and KT1-P on the version. What should I do for this upload for the correct information? thanks

Using a manual upload:
- Upload photo
- Add watermark (optional)
- "Aircraft Manufacturer Filter Enabled?" --> tick "no"
- Select Generic Type (Korea Aerospace KT-1/KO-1 Woong-Bee)
- Select version (from the dropdown list)
- Select airline
- Input c/n
- Input serial (LD-0113)
- Select country
- Select location
- Select year/month/date
- Tick all applicable categories
- Write a caption (optional)
- Tick the priority box (a new military serial for the DB warrants priority screening)
- Write a comment to the screeners about why this photo warrants priority screening (mandatory when ticking the priority box. You can copy my reason from this post if you wish)
- Click "Submit"

airkas1

Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:39 am

Hi all,

Since not everyone might look in Site Related often, I'm posting this here as well to maximize exposure/awareness. Currently a complete overhaul of the photo pages is in the works. We're making some good progress and it will look a lot like the photo pages on the old site. Please note that the screenshot below is not the final version.

miamivice

Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:27 am

Looks nice!

spompert

Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:23 am

Hello, I notice when someone comments on one of my photos I won`t get a notification although I have selected this feature in options of my profile. So now I have to check manually for comments. Also the feature of following other photographers is not working yet, I should get a notification if someone I follow uploads a photo. It would be great if this is really working. To be honest I think the whole notification feature is not working at all. Am I the only one with this problem and when will this be fixed? Would really improve the site I think. Thanks

spompert

Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:30 pm

spompert wrote:
Hello, I notice when someone comments on one of my photos I won`t get a notification although I have selected this feature in options of my profile. So now I have to check manually for comments. Also the feature of following other photographers is not working yet, I should get a notification if someone I follow uploads a photo. It would be great if this is really working. To be honest I think the whole notification feature is not working at all. Am I the only one with this problem and when will this be fixed? Would really improve the site I think. Thanks

Unfortunately it`s still not clear to me if I am the only one that is having troubles with the notification of photos posted, likes, etc. Thanks Stefan

airkas1

Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:57 pm

It doesn't show for me either. The item is still on the list, ever since you first reported it. But the developers have been busy with more pressing issues and currently working on a major overhaul of the photo details pages. It'll get fixed, I just don't know when.

spompert

Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:17 pm

Okay thank you Kas, I hope this can be fixed because I really think it would be a pleasure to follow particular other photographers and have some more interaction between the photographers on the site.

Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:21 pm

Hi,

I appreciate the effort being made, but the "medium" size on the new photo detail page is way too small, it has the size of a larger thumbnail? I actually liked the modern photo detail page of the new site, for me not everything on the old site was better.

airkas1

Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:49 am

Hi Julien, I think this is solved now and that the large photo shows by default if you have selected that option in your profile. Can you confirm?

airkas1

Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:05 am

Hi all,

Perhaps some or most of you are already aware, but the photo details pages have been completely overhauled. It resembles the old site much closer now and we hope it brings back some of the viewing pleasure.

ptrjong

Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:26 am

Thanks for your efforts, Kas.

I like how you now get a number of thumbnails below a opened photo. However, it's seems strange to me that you cannot go to the next relevant thumbnails page from there.

Especially as it's even more difficult now to go to 'all photos by this photographer' - this now cannot be done at all any more by just clicking, only through the search function, and for me it's a major irritation. I'd still like the photographer link to lead to the photos, not to his/her profile, but at least there should be a possibility to do this easily.

Peter:)

Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:14 am

airkas1 wrote:
Hi Julien, I think this is solved now and that the large photo shows by default if you have selected that option in your profile. Can you confirm?

I haven't select that feature, as my browser setting is at 125% Zoom, so when openeing a shot at full size, I would have to change the zoom everytime I want to see a quality pic.
I was always happily watching the medium size with the new site, but now the medium size is very, very small, almost like a thumbnail. Even on my mobile the medium size doesn't fill the whole Screen (!).

And let's also think about site visitors that can't select anything in their profile because they aren't members. They certainly won't like to see a very small shot upon opening it and having to click twice.
So for me there would be 2 Options: A) automatically open large size for everyone. Okay perhaps not suited for mobile visitors.
B) increase the medium size (like it was on the new site - better option for me)

Otherwise I can only echo Peter's Point. It is still quite irritating, that you it is quite hard to just access the gallery by any photographer and then preferably with the newest shots shown first.

airkas1

Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:55 am

ptrjong wrote:
However, it's seems strange to me that you cannot go to the next relevant thumbnails page from there.

Hi Peter, I'm not sure I get what you're trying to say with the above.

ptrjong wrote:
Especially as it's even more difficult now to go to 'all photos by this photographer' - this now cannot be done at all any more by just clicking, only through the search function, and for me it's a major irritation. I'd still like the photographer link to lead to the photos, not to his/her profile, but at least there should be a possibility to do this easily.

Go to the photographer name in the lower right corner of the box, click it. You will be taken to the profile page and all the photog's photos. In the upper left corner you can then select by date, most popular and by likes. Atleast, I'm assuming that's what you were looking for?

JKPhotos wrote:
I haven't select that feature, as my browser setting is at 125% Zoom, so when openeing a shot at full size, I would have to change the zoom everytime I want to see a quality pic.
I was always happily watching the medium size with the new site, but now the medium size is very, very small, almost like a thumbnail. Even on my mobile the medium size doesn't fill the whole Screen (!). And let's also think about site visitors that can't select anything in their profile because they aren't members. They certainly won't like to see a very small shot upon opening it and having to click twice.
So for me there would be 2 Options: A) automatically open large size for everyone. Okay perhaps not suited for mobile visitors.
B) increase the medium size (like it was on the new site - better option for me).

Hi Julien,
I have forwarded this to the developers. Wil get back to you here when I know more.

ptrjong

Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:18 pm

airkas1 wrote:
ptrjong wrote:
Go to the photographer name in the lower right corner of the box, click it. You will be taken to the profile page and all the photog's photos. In the upper left corner you can then select by date, most popular and by likes. Atleast, I'm assuming that's what you were looking for?

Well, no, because that profile page is butt ugly with all these photos glued toghther.. Certainly it's very difrent, so it breaks old the photo browsing pleasure that you were referring to in an annoying way.

Whether you clicked on location name, construction number, photographer name or whatever, you got a new selection of photos but presented in an uniform way., That worked beautifully.

I may sound like a child who doesn't get what he wants, but I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in this.

96adrian

Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:10 am

I had two photos accepted last night, but they still don't show up in the database. I posted it in the missing photos thread, buy there seem to be no one from the crew looking at that anymore. Can you please check that thread and make the photos appear?

Thank you!

airkas1

Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:32 am

ptrjong wrote:
[...]

Hi Peter, I think I now understand what you meant. Please correct me if still wrong. I will use myself as example:
If you are already looking at a photo of mine and are clicking my name, it should lead to the following page: https://www.airliners.net/search?user=68 ... lay=detail

The above does look much more pleasing and I would fully support such a change. Can you please confirm that that is also what you meant?

96adrian wrote:
I had two photos accepted last night, but they still don't show up in the database. I posted it in the missing photos thread, buy there seem to be no one from the crew looking at that anymore. Can you please check that thread and make the photos appear?

I will ask them (the people who can fix the photos) again to have a look at the thread.

ptrjong

Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:25 pm

Hi Kas,

Yes, that is exactly what I meant. Thank you! I hope the developers will agree.

lindy field

Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:55 pm

I'd like to support Peter (ptrjong) in his suggestion to improve the site. Clicking on the photographer name on the photo name should lead to a display of the photographer's photos and not their profile. It should be possible to link to the photographer profile through a separate button. Thanks, Kas.

Jalap

Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:46 pm

A few issues:

- If I want to correct a date from a previously uploaded shot. Say from "Mid 1990's" to 15 June 1995, then I can't. I can uncheck "unknown year", but then I can's select an exact year.
- I cannot correct information with old uploads when my current upload queue is full. Think that correcting info should always be possible...
- If I use search function to find an old upload of mine, then open the shot, then there is no "reupload" button. And I can't search through my accepted shots where there is that reupload button. So when I come across a better shot of what's in the database already, it's hard to find it and reupload.
- When I reupload and select the new shot, it doesn't show on the page. I only assume it's uploaded when I sumbit.

airkas1

Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:56 am

Jalap wrote:
A few issues:

- If I want to correct a date from a previously uploaded shot. Say from "Mid 1990's" to 15 June 1995, then I can't. I can uncheck "unknown year", but then I can's select an exact year.
- I cannot correct information with old uploads when my current upload queue is full. Think that correcting info should always be possible...
- If I use search function to find an old upload of mine, then open the shot, then there is no "reupload" button. And I can't search through my accepted shots where there is that reupload button. So when I come across a better shot of what's in the database already, it's hard to find it and reupload.
- When I reupload and select the new shot, it doesn't show on the page. I only assume it's uploaded when I sumbit.

- Added to the list.
- This is already on the list, but I've added your remarks to the existing entry.
- In my opinion it makes sense to have the reupload button in the photo corner. When you go to the tab with your accepted photos, the reupload option should be apparent enough.
- Added to the list.

Thanks for the feedback!

Jalap

Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:42 pm

Thanks airkas1! And let me express my appreciation for the work you're doing. Sitting inbetween customers and developers/business is what I do for a living so I can relate to your efforts ;)

airkas1

Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:53 pm

Jalap wrote:

This is now solved / will be solved by today's update.

planespot

Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:50 pm

Hi Kas,

Do you have an update on additional watermark placement options (specifically 1/3rd and 2/3rd vertical positions)? Would really like this to better protect my photos without completely blocking the aircraft.

Thanks,
Cary

airkas1

Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:25 pm

I didn't really want to start another thread just to write this, so necroing this one for it. The reupload feature was broken, but is fixed again as of now.

planespot wrote:
Do you have an update on additional watermark placement options (specifically 1/3rd and 2/3rd vertical positions)? Would really like this to better protect my photos without completely blocking the aircraft.

Sorry for the super late reply!! I have no update on it, but it is on the list. Issues are getting fixed in a good pace at the moment, but I don't know when the watermarks will be on the agenda. I'll keep you/everyone posted through this thread regarding photography related fixes/changes.

airkas1

Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:33 pm

As per issues FAQ thread in Site Related:
- Added a pop-up upon trying to submit a photo without the registration field filled in (this to make the uploader aware of the fact that this piece of info is missing).
- We can now add multiple photos to a news banner.

airkas1

Tue May 02, 2017 8:35 pm

The help texts on the upload page have been updated/added.

airkas1

Tue May 30, 2017 9:41 am

We've added a link (in the form of a camera icon with # of photos next to it, underneath the photographer) on the photo details pages. Clicking this will take you to all the photos by that photographer.

HarryLi
Screener

Tue May 30, 2017 10:45 am

airkas1 wrote:
We've added a link (in the form of a camera icon with # of photos next to it, underneath the photographer) on the photo details pages. Clicking this will take you to all the photos by that photographer.

Such a good function !!!! :D

airkas1

Tue May 30, 2017 11:00 pm

Additional stats (incl. acceptance ratio) has returned to the upload page.

miamivice

Wed May 31, 2017 7:00 am

Great news, thanks!

airkas1

Wed May 31, 2017 9:27 am

- Fixed an issue where you got an error when trying to edit the info of a photo in your upload queue, while your queue was 100% full.
- Fixed the issue that it was possible to mark a photo both priority and creative. This has now been limited to only one.
- The creative queue is now incorporated in the overview of the general screening stats.

Kaphias

Wed May 31, 2017 10:22 pm

airkas1 wrote:
Additional stats (incl. acceptance ratio) has returned to the upload page.

Does this only take into account photos uploaded since the new site? Because mine says

"Based on your 50 most recently screened photos:
Accepted: 50 Rejected: 0 Acceptance Ratio: 100.00%"

which I'm pretty sure is not only incorrect, but impossible, haha. FYI I haven't uploaded any photos since the new site went live last year.

airkas1

Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:31 am

The priority rules on the upload page have now been updated. Some minor tweakings, with the most important ones being:
- Crops of aircraft don't qualify for priority (which has been true for a long time, but was never written down for some reason)
- The changes that were announced a few weeks ago have been incorporated on the page.

Also, renaming this thread to a a more suitable name, as I want to use it for more general photography-related announcements.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:51 am

airkas1 wrote:
The priority rules on the upload page have now been updated. Some minor tweakings, with the most important ones being:
- Crops of aircraft don't qualify for priority (which has been true for a long time, but was never written down for some reason)

Hey Kas,

I wasn't aware of this.
So even if one would only cut / crop out the wings for something similar like this:

It wouldn't qualify for prio screening?

Or did I misinterprete "crops"?

Cheers,
Julien

airkas1

Re: General announcements & discussions

Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:54 am

Ah, good question Julien. With crop, we mean actual cropping of the fuselage. So for example a close-up of the forward/aft fuselage section only (or similar).

Miguel1982

Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:52 am

JKPhotos wrote:

It wouldn't qualify for prio screening?

It would NOT qualify because you deliberately covered FC Barcelona's insignia with the wing, and that is, obviously, a no-go.

:biggrin: :biggrin:

Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:40 am

airkas1 wrote:
Ah, good question Julien. With crop, we mean actual cropping of the fuselage. So for example a close-up of the forward/aft fuselage section only (or similar).

Thanks for the clarification, Kas!

airkas1

Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:26 pm

A couple of photography-related issues have been fixed. See here for the full list: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1335403).

Specifically, I'd like to get your attention for these issues:
airkas1 wrote:
- Some users experienced a bug where their photo count was incorrect. This caused an incorrect photo count and incorrect number of upload slots. This has now been fixed.

I know that Dara and Degupukas epxerienced this bug, so I'd like to hear if this issue has now been solved. If anyone else experienced the same bug, please leave a message as well if it has been fixed for you. Dara's case might be fixed now due to the recent changes in his account, so I would love to hear from Degupukas or anyone else who previously experienced these issues.

I also got the following message, but I don't remember where I read it or who wrote it:
"Today I tried to vote for photographer's choice on a photo but the option is disabled for me and this message appears
under it: "In order to vote, you need to have at least one uploaded photo"
I have 4 uploaded photos now and I guess this is a site issue. Just wanted to report this to the crew."

I have a feeling that this last issue is connected to the one mentioned above. With that one now solved, I'm wondering if this one is now fixed along with it. Any response regarding this will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

airkas1

Tue May 01, 2018 9:58 pm

For the people that don't frequently visit the Site Related subforum, we would love some feedback on this: viewforum.php?f=12

airkas1

Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:08 pm

For a long time there has apparently been a counting error in the upload slot system. This has now been corrected:

1 - 5 images in the database: 2 upload slots
6 - 10 images in the database: 5 upload slots
11 - 100 images in the database: 10 upload slots
101 - 500 images in the database: 15 upload slots
501 - 1000 images in the database: 20 upload slots
>1000 images in the database: 40 upload slots

Kaphias

Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:57 pm

airkas1 wrote:
For a long time there has apparently been a counting error in the upload slot system. This has now been corrected:

1 - 5 images in the database: 2 upload slots
6 - 10 images in the database: 5 upload slots
11 - 100 images in the database: 10 upload slots
101 - 500 images in the database: 15 upload slots
501 - 1000 images in the database: 20 upload slots
>1000 images in the database: 40 upload slots

Not so sure. I have 100 images in the DB and have 14 in the queue...

IL76

Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:58 pm

Wow... I haven't really visited A.net in years (or an airport as a photographer for that matter), but not much has changed in the last 7 years. Except maybe the traffic. On this forum the most recent post today was four days old. Most topics have a last response more than a week ago. In the time that I used to visit A.net a lot (mid 2000's), it was quite a happening photography forum. What happened?

E

(PS, I wonder if Johan still visits occasionally, just for his own curiosity :smile: )