Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AmricanShamrok
Topic Author

Flight Diary Or Flight Memory?

Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:13 pm

Does anyone else keep a log of their flights? Do you use either or both of the above websites? If so, how would you rate it/them? Which is better?

http://flightdiary.net/
http://www.flightmemory.com/

TupolevTu154

RE: Flight Diary Or Flight Memory?

Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:08 pm

I have flight memory, but after looking at a friends flight diary, I wish I had one. Unfortunately 800+ flights won't be easy to transfer!

Go for flight diary. Flight memory is pretty basic and has alot less cool stuff to look at.

wilco737

Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:55 am

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Thread starter):

I prefer flight memory. It is simple, but all you need, no frills.
I tried flight diary, but I found it a hassle to use.

And transferring 2300+ flights would be a hassle too   

wilco737

Fabo

Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:13 am

Apparently, the transfer can be done, not quite officially and via intermediaries though.
And I think you would have to shell out for flightmemory premium...

Hywel

Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:40 pm

I use all the common websites - flightmemory.com, openflights.org, flightdiary.net etc.

But my favourite is ba97.com - http://www.ba97.com/ba97/calendar/report.asp?handle=hywel.phillips

wilco737

Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:51 pm

Quoting Fabo (Reply 3):
Apparently, the transfer can be done, not quite officially and via intermediaries though.
And I think you would have to shell out for flightmemory premium...

You cannot transfer from flightmemory to flightdiary, just double checked.

What I like about flightmemory, is the statistics. It shows you where you have flown the 744, 742, 733, 738 etc and you can sort it via airport as well. More options in the statistics menu.

Oh and you can mark the flight as CREW which is not possible on flight diary.

wilco737

Fabo

Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:22 am

Quoting wilco737 (Reply 5):
You cannot transfer from flightmemory to flightdiary, just double checked.

Not directly. But you can export to xls from flightmemory, then rearrange it to (I think) Openflights csv, and import Openflights.

Or so was I told. Never tried.

MbahGondrong

Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:27 am

I use flight diary, much cooler with the graphs for me.

Tommy Mogren

Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:40 pm

Yeah, me too.. I use Flightdiary.net

Works very well for me. And you can export/import all your data too, whenever you want.
Nice graphics and stats about your flights. Filter by years etc...

I left Flightmemory and when I did it was not possible to export your flights in any way.

Knowing I can export my stuff at any time over at FlightDiary.net makes the choice easy for me.

Tommy

MaverickM11

Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:34 pm

Does either/any of them have an app for mobile devices?

CXB77L

Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:37 am

Does FlightDiary offer an option where one flight with an intermediate stop can be recorded as such, rather than two separate flights?

That's my issue with FlightMemory, which I'm using at present. I couldn't work out how to put down SIN-ICN-YVR as one flight. I've yet to try FlightDiary but I might switch over, depending on its features.

hawaiian717

Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:16 pm

CXB77L, I don't see a way of treating flights with an intermediate stop as a single flight on FlightDiary, OpenFlights, or FlightMemory. But I'd rater list them separately anyway, since some of the ones I've been on involved changing aircraft and seats.

I've had FlightMemory for a while and am mostly happy with it. The lack of standardization of airline names, types, etc., makes their aggregation of statistics somewhat less than useful, though as long as I keep my own data consistent my individual stats are reasonable. The inability to zoom the map does make regions with multiple airports a bit hard to read; in my case LAX/LGB/ONT/SNA/CLD/SAN is a big mess and I can't really tell which lines go where.

A while back I downloaded the OpenFights source code and set up a private installation on my own server to play with. I was able to save off the FlightMemory pages as HTML, which OF was able to scrape together to import. I like OF's ability to perform all sorts of searches of the flight data. I can easily get a list of all flights operated by a particular airline or aircraft type, for instance. But the whole thing feels a bit clunky, with the map always taking up a big portion of the window and other things in small frames along the side. Entering flight details feels clunky, too. But since I'm running my own installation (which required some hacking of the source code to get to work since it has some hard coded assumptions that its running on OpenFlights.org) which I haven't kept up to date, it's possible that they've improved the UI.

I recently imported my flights from OF to FlightDiary. As with the previous import, it required some going through to clean up; notably, arrival times were omitted. It also had some issues when I was dealing with flights involving PHX and Hawaii since their non-observance of daylight saving time was causing it to incorrectly compute the flight duration when I entered the arrival time. It was also awkward to work through my flight history, since it loads 50 flights at a time with a Load More button at the bottom, like Facebook and Twitter do, rather than 50 flights per page like FM. As a result, each flight I'd edit, save, then it would bring me back to the top of the list and I'd have to keep hitting Load More to get back to where I was. FM blends you back to the page you were on after editing an old flight. The detailed statistics for airline, airport, aircraft type are nice, but it would be nice to be able to see the flight details for them as well, not just showing them on the map. Overall the UI feels nice and modern, though I don't care for not having the flight details paginated. It would also be nice if they got rid of the Flash for the graphs; the animation is pretty but ultimately unnecessary, and they have a non-Flash version that is used when I load my profile on my iPad.

My bigger concern with FD though is whether its still being actively worked on. They haven't posted on their Twitter or Facebook in several months. I sent them some feedback a couple of weeks ago regarding missing airlines and they've yet to add them or respond.

In summary, FD feels the most modem, OF has the best search capabilities, and FM is best for dealing with unusual situations where the back end database is missing your airport, airline, or aircraft type. In other words, I haven't found the perfect site yet.

SRQKEF

Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:17 pm

Definitely flightdiary for me, as in flightmemory you can't choose Iceland as your 'domestic' country. Therefore, my maps don't look good at all as most of my domestic flying is inside Iceland or the US which is on the wrong continent.

FD, on the other hand, offer great looking maps with nice looking statistics.  

B747forever

Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:53 am

Quoting CXB77L (Reply 10):
That's my issue with FlightMemory, which I'm using at present. I couldn't work out how to put down SIN-ICN-YVR as one flight. I've yet to try FlightDiary but I might switch over, depending on its features.

But in reality, it should be counted as two flights. A flight is the same thing as a cycle which equals a take off and a landing. Even though it is sold as a one (through) flight, it takes two cycles to complete that route, therefore it should be counted as two flights.

At least that is how I see it.

Scooter

Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:03 pm

Quoting hawaiian717 (Reply 11):
My bigger concern with FD though is whether its still being actively worked on. They haven't posted on their Twitter or Facebook in several months. I sent them some feedback a couple of weeks ago regarding missing airlines and they've yet to add them or respond.

This is my concern as well. FD is by far my favorite flight logging tool, but it is a bit worrisome that the developers don't seem to be very active with it.

ptknight

Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:56 pm

Two weeks ago I tried to contact the FD staff to offer a donation but I haven't had a reply yet... I hope they'll continue to maintain the website because, to me, it is the nicest one

hawaiian717

Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:17 am

I don't think the developers are working on FD anymore. They still haven't responded to the missing airlines I reported in January.

CrimsonNL

Thu May 16, 2013 7:59 pm

I'm still loyal to Flight Memory. I don't really care for FlightDiary and the CO2 statistics really look stupid to me. FM is nice and simple. I use it as a simplified version of my actual flight log where I keep more subtypes and technical details. I just use FM for the statistics and the maps. I know a certain Anetter who has taken flight for the sole reason of getting a new line on his map!

Martijn

flyforever

Sat May 18, 2013 2:17 pm

I've been using flightdiary.net for quite a while, I find it very user friendly. Check my profile if you fancy: http://flightdiary.net/Coratella

Why don't we share our flights map??? 

AirPacific747

Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:31 am

Do it like the pro's.. LogTen app on itunes store is an electronic logbook fully capable of replacing your physical logbook if you're a pilot. You can export your flights as a .xml file and take a look at them in Google Earth   I decided to make a complete backup of my physical logbook a few weeks ago and spent a few days copying everything over.

I also use FD though so my family can follow my progress. I only log flights on FD where I was the pilot.

flyforever

Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:34 pm

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 19):
I also use FD though so my family can follow my progress. I only log flights on FD where I was the pilot.

Would be nice to see it!!

AirPacific747

Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:10 pm

Quoting flyforever (Reply 20):

Would be nice to see it!!

There you go. Not so impressive yet, but I am at the early stages of my career  

I haven't logged my school flights on FD though.

[Edited 2013-06-06 06:12:11]

larshjort

Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:13 am

How does flight diary handle airports that are not in the database? I am currently on a drilling rig in the north sea and would like to enter the airport with the current location.

/Lars

hawaiian717

Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:11 am

You have to contact them and ask them to add it. And thus the problem with FlightDiary: Nobody seems to be maintaining it anymore. They've yet to add or respond to the missing airlines I reported to them 6 months ago.

388crazy

Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:05 pm

Hi,

If you guys have a flight booked on a codeshare do you put the Codeshare number or the actual flight number?

I have a flight booked with UA so has a UA number but it is operated by AC

Thanks

CrimsonNL

Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:57 pm

I always log the actual flight number and operator, I don't really care much for code share flight numbers even though I might be booked on the code share flight instead.

Martijn

hawaiian717

Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:14 am

I log the operating carrier's name and flight number, and put the marketing carrier details in the comments field. So I'd log your flight as AC123, and in the comments filed note that the flight was booked as UA8123. I do the same for regional flights: Log the flight as OO5123, and note in the comments field that it was a United Express flight.

WesternFlyer

Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:22 pm

Is anyone else having issues with the statistics-page on FlightMemory?

WesternFlyer

Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:58 pm

Further investigation reveals that the statistics page on FlightMemory is working fine on a computer with Windows. But not on Apple hardware with iOS and OSx software.

dj6969

Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:50 am

I still use a bound book "Passenger Flying Log" started it in 1979. I also transfer the data to an Excel sheet. Include hours flown, miles and a pic of the A/C in the livery of the day if available..

A333MSPtoAMS

Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:01 am

I liked various aspects of both websites, so I went and created my own website for all of my details. It's been a work in progress, and I've learned a lot, but it's been a great time.

it's written in both English & Dutch.

I have a place where I can enter all of the details about the flight itself. Then there is a section where i have all sorts of statistics based around all of those details. With my own website, I can calcluate all sorts of other interesting details that the other websites may not offer. Or I can exclude the details that I may not find interesting or care about (as CrimsonNL stated above, I really don't care about the CO2 emissions). I've also included all sorts of reports based on airports (with maps): listing all, just arrival, just departure, by country, from north to south, east to west, highest to lowest, Airline stats, Airplane Stats (with graphs). On the flight information pages, you can also click a button to see a photo of the aircraft, a seat map if available, and other details about the plane (coming soon).

The flight information is here:
EN: http://globe-trekking.com/vluchtgegevens/index_en.php
NL: http://globe-trekking.com/vluchtgegevens

The statistcs are here:
EN: http://globe-trekking.com/vluchtgegevens/stats/index_en_entry.php
NL: http://globe-trekking.com/vluchtgegevens/stats

wilco737

Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:36 pm

Quoting A333MSPtoAMS (Reply 30):

That looks quite good. I guess a lot of work you had to put in to enter all the details.

My problem is, I have over 7500 hours and over 2500 flights and it is not easy to enter them somewhere else now. So I am pretty much stuck to flightmemory.com. (http://meine.flugstatistik.de/wilco737)

Something to import these information would be great of course.

Building my own website? no, too much work. I have an excel sheet with all my flights, this is quite helpful as well. But no real statistics possible there.

wilco737

Luftfahrer

Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:51 pm

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 19):
Do it like the pro's.. LogTen app on itunes store

My choice as well.   They used to have a free basic version on offer, but alas, not anymore. But since I liked it back then, I decided to spend some money on the pro version and haven't regretted it ever since. What I especially like is that the app lets me differentiate between the flights I take as a passenger, do in the simulator (that would be FS X) or possibly as a pilot some time in the future.

[Edited 2014-03-27 14:59:33]

A333MSPtoAMS

Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:48 pm

Quoting wilco737 (Reply 31):

Quoting A333MSPtoAMS (Reply 30):

That looks quite good. I guess a lot of work you had to put in to enter all the details.

My problem is, I have over 7500 hours and over 2500 flights and it is not easy to enter them somewhere else now. So I am pretty much stuck to flightmemory.com. (http://meine.flugstatistik.de/wilco737)

Something to import these information would be great of course.

Building my own website? no, too much work. I have an excel sheet with all my flights, this is quite helpful as well. But no real statistics possible there.

wilco737

yes, it was quite a bit of work getting the site set up, but it was really quite fun. Now everything is automated from just one entry screen. the data entry screen works just like those of flightmemory or flightdiary or openflights, and then from there, everything is dynamically generated.

now, getting the data for the planes and airlines is constant battle. i'm constantly importing the data from planespotters.net to keep my personal database up to date. but, i'm a geek.

yes, for you it would be difficult, but for us mortals that don't work for an airline or fly for business it's not so much a big problem.... though, this year i have more flights than I have ever had, with several more flights planned but not booked.
http://globe-trekking.com/vluchtgege...ns/vluchtinfo/vbijjaar.php?id=2014

wilco737

Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:35 am

Quoting A333MSPtoAMS (Reply 33):
yes, it was quite a bit of work getting the site set up, but it was really quite fun. Now everything is automated from just one entry screen. the data entry screen works just like those of flightmemory or flightdiary or openflights, and then from there, everything is dynamically generated.

Excellent. Sounds like a great job you did there.

yes, for you it would be difficult,

Not difficult, it will simply take forever   

though, this year i have more flights than I have ever had

Excellent. The more the better   

wilco737

zizou

Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:08 pm

With flightdiary, is it possible to add flights if you don't know the date or flight number. I am having issues adding flights I took in the 80s. Flightdiary states this is a mandatory requirement  

Ned Kelly

Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:03 am

Quoting zizou (Reply 35):
With flightdiary, is it possible to add flights if you don't know the date or flight number. I am having issues adding flights I took in the 80s. Flightdiary states this is a mandatory requirement

Flightdiary allows you to add just the year, or month & year of a flight if the exact date is unknown. For example:

1992-04
1992-04-01

So, if you don't know the exact date just put in the approximate year of your flights. I have done this with many of mine from many years ago.

devron

Re: Flight Diary Or Flight Memory?

Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:22 pm

Flightdiary has been intergrated with flightradar nowadays and I love to use it. Flight times are a bit longer calculated than in reality based on my experience.

I have a question how can I enter flight that go off-airport in flightdiary? I Love mountaineering (besides flying) and got to rent a few chopter for that. How do I get to entre these cool flights (e.g. from a 7150 meter high moutain next to mount everest back to Kathandu)which was really cool and I have to brag about that) into flightdiary? I now "faked" it by taking the nearest airport (in my example above Lukla) but I am really unhappy about this (besides I flew this route 4 times)?

I guess the awnser is I can't but want a second opinion

hawaiian717

Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:37 pm

devron wrote:
Flightdiary has been intergrated with flightradar nowadays and I love to use it. Flight times are a bit longer calculated than in reality based on my experience.

My.Flightradar24 (formerly FlightDiary) seems to use the scheduled departure and arrival times, rather than the actual ones, when automatically filling in flight details based on flight number.

trijetsonly

Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:01 am

devron wrote:

I have a question how can I enter flight that go off-airport in flightdiary? I Love mountaineering (besides flying) and got to rent a few chopter for that. How do I get to entre these cool flights (e.g. from a 7150 meter high moutain next to mount everest back to Kathandu)which was really cool and I have to brag about that) into flightdiary? I now "faked" it by taking the nearest airport (in my example above Lukla) but I am really unhappy about this (besides I flew this route 4 times)?

I guess the awnser is I can't but want a second opinion

I'm having the same problem. Somewhere on this site there is an option to enter a new airfield/location. I did this once to add a heliport but it is now pending for 3 years...