Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Elshad
Topic Author

So-called "Guide to Planespotting"

Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:33 pm

I was searching for some sort of guide to plane spotting for a non-enthusiast friend and this came up as one of the first hits on Google: https://thepointsguy.com/2017/04/beginn ... -spotting/

What the hell is this article talking about?

For one thing, it keeps making misleading claims about the nose! For example, the 767-300 vs -400 section mentions that a key difference is the "body styles" (huh?), with the -400 having a "longer and more rounded nose" (errr. the noses are exactly the same). Similarly with the A320 section, it states that as the aircraft gets longer the nose becomes "increasingly elongated" (errr. no it's the fuselage getting longer not the nose).

Likewise, in the 737 section it states that older 737-600 have winglets (no -600 have winglets), and the entire 747-400 vs -8 manages to avoid mentioning the length difference.

I understand that things have to be dumbed-down to help beginners etc. but not to the point of misleading!

richiemo

Re: So-called "Guide to Planespotting"

Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:02 pm

Isn't it funny how us true airline geeks get really upset when people mis-state things about our beloved aircraft. Very often I'm at the terminal gate or even on the plane and I'll hear someone mis-state something about a plane passing by the window or something incorrect about the plane we're on, and I want to interrupt and correct them. Happens all the time on the A320, when the power transfer unit makes all that noise (barking dog) and people say it's the breaks or something. Or recently I was sitting next to a kid who couldn't have been more than 10. We could hear the flaps extending for takeoff and he was asking his mother why the wheels were making noise. I just minded my own business.

BWIAirport

Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:26 pm

It also didn't mention the raked wingtips on the 767-400ER, and it's entire section on the 737 almost made me abandon my passion for aviation

DALMD80

Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:07 pm

richiemo wrote:
Isn't it funny how us true airline geeks get really upset when people mis-state things about our beloved aircraft. Very often I'm at the terminal gate or even on the plane and I'll hear someone mis-state something about a plane passing by the window or something incorrect about the plane we're on, and I want to interrupt and correct them. Happens all the time on the A320, when the power transfer unit makes all that noise (barking dog) and people say it's the breaks or something. Or recently I was sitting next to a kid who couldn't have been more than 10. We could hear the flaps extending for takeoff and he was asking his mother why the wheels were making noise. I just minded my own business.

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I HATE when people do that. If I EVER heard ANYTHING like that... I would correct the person or people that said it. Both examples you used... I almost started shaking. That article too... 763 nose is smaller? WHO THE HECK WROTE THAT? IT'S THE SAME EXACT NOSE! The THREE? Members of the A320 family? THERE ARE 4! A318, A319, A320, and A321! Elongated nose? Now on to the 737 section. Oh boy. The newest versions of the 737, the 700 and MAX variants... WAIT. Hold the phone. Newest versions... 700 and MAX? Not so, bud. The 900 and the MAX. Sure, I've seen 700's with scimitars, but that was fitted after they were bought. They come standard on the 900ER. *Sigh* IMO, this guy knows very little about planespotting or aircraft, and should let more reliable sources tell people what to look for instead of misleading them.