andre855
Topic Author

X Plane ...impressive video!

Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:15 am

Hello, what do you think about graphics?

https://youtu.be/onDWK-BaMb0

invertalon

Re: X Plane ...impressive video!

Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:47 pm

X Plane is amazing! I make a few flights a week in it, and with the right aircraft it's very in depth. It also looks amazing and some mods can make it really like photo-realistic if you have the hard drive space for it (many TB's can be filled up with scenery!). Far, far, farrrrr better than FSX.

andre855
Topic Author

Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:03 am

invertalon wrote:
X Plane is amazing! I make a few flights a week in it, and with the right aircraft it's very in depth. It also looks amazing and some mods can make it really like photo-realistic if you have the hard drive space for it (many TB's can be filled up with scenery!). Far, far, farrrrr better than FSX.

sure...better than fsx and p3d

cranberrysaus

Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:19 pm

I've fully switched over from P3D to X-Plane and love it. Only thing I miss is that FSX/P3D had much more robust AI traffic and ATC. Made the world feel a lot more alive.

andre855
Topic Author

Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:10 am

cranberrysaus wrote:
I've fully switched over from P3D to X-Plane and love it. Only thing I miss is that FSX/P3D had much more robust AI traffic and ATC. Made the world feel a lot more alive.

with some plug in you can solve it...but yes, p3d was nice about ai traffic

426Shadow

Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:27 am

You ever notice X-Plane fanboys always have to try to convince everyone that it's better, always talking down on P3D and what not. You don't really see that the other way around. If you go onto an X-plane Facebook group, they are talking about P3D more than X-Plane, and they occasionally come on the P3D group talking shit.That should say something.......
Do it on three, One.....THREEEEEEE! Just got the nuts hangin out.

foxxray

Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:40 pm

426Shadow wrote:
You ever notice X-Plane fanboys always have to try to convince everyone that it's better, always talking down on P3D and what not. You don't really see that the other way around. If you go onto an X-plane Facebook group, they are talking about P3D more than X-Plane, and they occasionally come on the P3D group talking shit.That should say something.......

I used to be a Microsoft FS (and then P3D) user for about 20 years. I didn't wanted to hear anything about X-Plane until last year. After seeing the incredible graphics (especially at night) of XP11 and being tired of the multiple crashes I used to have on FSX/P3D, I decide to switch over. I can tell you that I don't regret it. It is much more stable, better graphics, better flight dynamics, way more intuitive…
The only negative point is that there is much less addons than on FSX/P3D.

426Shadow

Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:02 pm

foxxray wrote:
426Shadow wrote:

I used to be a Microsoft FS (and then P3D) user for about 20 years. I didn't wanted to hear anything about X-Plane until last year. After seeing the incredible graphics (especially at night) of XP11 and being tired of the multiple crashes I used to have on FSX/P3D, I decide to switch over. I can tell you that I don't regret it. It is much more stable, better graphics, better flight dynamics, way more intuitive…

You just proved my point.
Do it on three, One.....THREEEEEEE! Just got the nuts hangin out.

foxxray

Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:58 pm

426Shadow wrote:

I'm not trying to convince you that XP11 is better than P3D. Both are great sim. It's just that Xplane fits my expectations better. If for you P3D is better, then it's great.

speedbird52

Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:44 am

andre855 wrote:
invertalon wrote:

sure...better than fsx and p3d

I have yet to find a single X Plane commercial airliner that beats what we have in P3D
Proud to be a sl*t shamer of both sexes

speedbird52

Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:46 am

426Shadow wrote:
foxxray wrote:
426Shadow wrote:

Some of these people treat X Plane like it is a religion. It's honestly a little scary. I don't spend ages talking about how superior P3D is to X Plane. I simply point out that I like certain parts of P3D more. If X Plane can fix the few pitfalls it has, maybe I will completely quit P3D. Who knows. Who cares. It's a video game. Get over yourselves. I personally use both
Proud to be a sl*t shamer of both sexes

invertalon

Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:00 pm

Having come from FSX, X-Plane is a HUGE jump. Almost in every single way, IMO.

In X-Plane, I personally fly the Zibo 737 (honestly, not sure it gets much better in terms of aircraft available) along with the Flight Factor 757 and 767. All three are great aircraft to fly.

Never used P3D personally, but I'm sure its fantastic.

foxxray

Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:13 am

invertalon wrote:
Having come from FSX, X-Plane is a HUGE jump. Almost in every single way, IMO.

In X-Plane, I personally fly the Zibo 737 (honestly, not sure it gets much better in terms of aircraft available) along with the Flight Factor 757 and 767. All three are great aircraft to fly.

Never used P3D personally, but I'm sure its fantastic.

You should try Ixeg 737 ! Probably the best airliner available !
Lately, Hot Start released the TBM900. All feedbacks seems to be great.

spacecadet

Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:35 am

speedbird52 wrote:
Some of these people treat X Plane like it is a religion. It's honestly a little scary.

I've noticed this too. I also run both sims and I think they're good at different things. X-Plane does have better graphics - it should, because it's using DirectX 11 whereas FSX is stuck on DirectX 9 (or 10 if you use the "experimental" setting, but that breaks certain things). X-Plane also has marginally better flight models maybe, although definitely not to the level of realism that some of its devotees seem to think (I've flown in both real life and in Level D commercial sims, and X-Plane has a ways to go to come close to either). But still, some people just lose their sh*t when you question anything that's lacking in X-Plane.

I've never gotten X-Plane to look anywhere near as good as this video on my mid-range setup. Either this guy has a screamin' rig, or he's using a separate system to off-load visuals (which X-Plane supports). Generally X-Plane looks pretty good for me, but I have to turn objects, reflections and other things down a bit. Except for things like uneven runway pavement, it doesn't look much different from FSX for me.

The thing that X-Plane really doesn't do well is creating a realistic flying environment. FSX/P3D don't do this perfectly either, but they come closer (especially with some free add-ons). X-Plane's ATC is just atrocious, for example, and I've learned that one big reason for that is that it doesn't actually treat non-player aircraft as real objects. There are no other persistent planes and flights in the sim - it's just you, and whatever happens to be transiting in your area at a given moment. So you're never going to arrive at a major airport and find traffic already stacked up in the pattern, for example. FSX/P3D can model actual flights on a persistent basis, so you can get semi-realistic backups and holds (the sim doesn't generally use real STARs for AI aircraft except by dumb luck, but it still creates a convincing illusion pretty often).

X-Plane also doesn't really offer any sort of ATC for VFR flights. You can't file a VFR flight plan (contrary to belief, you can do this in real life and any decent flight school will require you to), nobody cares when you take off and land, and you can't even request flight following. If you're doing VFR in X-Plane, all you can really do is ignore ATC completely, which is the opposite of realistic and a perfect example of negative training. (Since fans of the sim like to point out how it's really a trainer more than a game.)

X-Plane fans usually just suggest something like PilotEdge if you want to fly with other planes in a pattern using realistic ATC. And it's true, you can do that, but not everyone who talks about simulated ATC wants a *fully* realistic experience with human controllers who are going to berate you if you use incorrect terminology or don't file a flight plan according to FAA regulations. It would just be nice if the sim had a better built-in ATC and AI aircraft experience to create a more convincing environment. It's a simulation - it should be simulating ATC and other aircraft. These are integral parts of the flying experience.

I've tried various plugins and none of them really do the job.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

invertalon

Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:02 pm

I do miss the impressiveness of FSX in terms of traffic and such, that was one big benefit for sure. While the graphics and flying experience, to me, are much better in X-Plane, there are still some pros/cons between both. As mentioned, ATC is OK at best in X Plane so I simply don’t use it.

I am running a pretty hefty rig (8700K all cores overclocked to 5ghz, 1080 GTX GPU overclocked to 2000+Mhz core, 32GB DDR4, installed on SSD HD’s, etc…) and I can run the settings pretty high overall and keep 40-45 FPS on average unless very heavy cloud cover for the most part, where it might drop to 30 FPS-ish. Don’t really see it go lower than 30.

Setting wise… Visual effects is set at High (HDR), texture quality at highest, Antialiasing at one position from highest. World objects at highest, reflection detail at medium. Draw parked aircraft enabled. Shadows on scenery enabled.

Works for me and runs very well.