Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

GaPrepper
Topic Author

1933 Vintage Photos-Floyd Bennett Field

Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:06 am

I hope this is the correct forum to post this. I recently acquired an old photo album with some incredible old photos in it. Most of the photos have period ink written on them explaining who, what and where the photos were taken or about. Most of these are about Floyd Bennett Field. I will list them in the order they are in the album.
**8 photos of a Sikorsky 39 on a lake. One is dated 7/12/31 in pen on the top of the photo. All the photos appear to be of the same format, same size and toning, so I'm assuming these are all early 1930's.
The next 10 photos have "Floyd Bennett Field" in ink at the top of the photo.
**1 photo of "Elinor Smith being loaded in the back of an ambulance after falling off her Lockheed" About 8 men standing around the back of an old style ambulance.
**1 photo of a white plane taking off with ink "Winnie Mae taking off with Post at the controls". Plane is about to lift off.
**1 photo with one plane in the background and a small part of a tail of another plane in the foreground, "Bellanca-Sky- rocket, Ellinor Smith's Lockheed on the left."
**1 photo with man standing with the Texaco Mystery Machine, with ink "Capt. Hawks preparing to take off"
**1 photo with Texaco plane with ink, "Capt. Hawks Mystery Ship"
**1 photo with Texaco plane with ink, "Capt Hawks Mystery Ship, Auto-Giro coming in for landing" Auto-Giro landing on the tarmac in the background.
**1 photo with a group of men and 2 planes, with ink " The round-the-world Lockheed. "The Winnie Mae." with Capt. Hawk's Mystery Ship" Group of men standing there with an arrow pointing at one "Capt Hawk" and another arrow pointing to "Al William's Navy Pilot"
**1 photo with plane and 3 men and plane "Miss Tait's Sr. Gee-Bee"
**1 photo with plane with ink, "F-32" "The largest land plane in the US, Curtiss Condor right in the back of it." "Auto-giro with arrow pointing" at Auto-Giro in sky.
**1 photo with men standing on tarmac, "MacFadden's Lockheed."
**1 photo "Auto-Giro coming in for a landing"
**1 photo with men standing in a group with an arrow pointing at one "Capt Hawks", crowd to the left and planes in the background.
** Several photos of bi-planes including one that was taken in air of a bi-plane from the upper back side of the plane.
** Several photos of frat boys in front of the frat house at Yale, assuming one of these young men was the photo album owner.
** 2 photos of the Dornier DO X.

All the photos are original, in great shape and are about 2 X 3 inch in size. I would say this was a aviation fan who went to Floyd Bennett Field to check out the heroes of flight.

I mainly collect WWII bomber, pilot, avaitor. etc., but this really intriged me. Can anyone give me a ballpark what they think this might be worth?

The Winnie Mae taking off on a world record flight would be a rare one. Thoughts?