OA940
Topic Author

Any tips on getting the crew to let you in the cockpit?

Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:33 pm

I have a flight coming up soon and, like any enthusiast, I would absolutely adore to see how everything works first-hand from the cockpit. I know that being let into the cockpit of a plane during the flight is basically impossible nowadays, but it does happen occasionally, and I've been lucky enough to experience it myself on a short hop with a (now bankrupt) regional airline.

Basically I was wondering if there was anything I could do to maximize the odds of actually managing to be let in, either during the flight itself or on the ground. Of course I get there are tons of factors involved and post-9/11 regulations are incredibly strict, but a man can dream, right? :D
A350/CSeries = bae

BlueberryWheats

Re: Any tips on getting the crew to let you in the cockpit?

Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:28 pm

You might be getting a knock on the door soon from some friendly law enforcement officials with a thread title like that. :lol:

Flyingdevil737

Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:12 pm

I don’t really know about getting let in mid-flight, but I brought myself a nice 1:200 scale Virgin Australia 77W before I left and decided to put it together on the plane.

The FA saw me putting it together and asked if I would like to come up to the cockpit after the landing.....
The thunder from Down Under

747Whale

Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:56 pm

OA940 wrote:
Basically I was wondering if there was anything I could do to maximize the odds of actually managing to be let in, either during the flight itself or on the ground.

In flight; no. The regulation is very clear about cockpit access, and very strict.

On the ground, sure. It's simple. Just ask.

Woodreau

Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:43 pm

OA940 wrote:
I have a flight coming up soon and, like any enthusiast, I would absolutely adore to see how everything works first-hand from the cockpit. I know that being let into the cockpit of a plane during the flight is basically impossible nowadays, but it does happen occasionally, and I've been lucky enough to experience it myself on a short hop with a (now bankrupt) regional airline.

Basically I was wondering if there was anything I could do to maximize the odds of actually managing to be let in, either during the flight itself or on the ground. Of course I get there are tons of factors involved and post-9/11 regulations are incredibly strict, but a man can dream, right? :D

Just ask....

I have visitors up front all the time either before departure or after blocking in...

Lots of kids, sometimes kids who really aren't interested but the dad really is, some people afraid to fly and just want to see and inquire about the flight experience of the crew who is flying them to wherever they are going... Depending on their interest, I let them push engine fire test buttons, get an atis from the ACARS.push the autopilot disconnect "PRIORITY LEFT/RIGHT", turn on the seat belt sign. Everyone seems to enjoy visiting, I haven't heard any complaints yet.

The most number of people I've been able to stuff in the flight deck has been 8. (mom dad, 6 kids and the two of us behind all of them.)

At my first airline (post-9/11) our airplanes didn't have cockpit doors - it was just a flimsy curtain, we just left the curtain open and everyone could see what we were doing the whole flight. Sometimes on approach to landing after turning final with the FO flying, I'd turn around to look into the cabin, and everyone in the airplane had leaned into the aisle to try to look out through the front windows of the flight deck. (it's like looking through a straw - from the flight deck there wasn't a lot of relative movement - but to the people towards the back of the plane, they'd get a glimpse of the runway, then it'd shoot out of sight to the side, then come back, and shoot out of sight the other way...) Then I'd grin back at everyone, stick both hands up the air and yell "Look no hands!"
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

MIAspotter

Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:11 am

Yeah, just ask nicely, sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don´t.

I´ve had a few cockpit visits on some flights, (DY 787, LAN 787, LH A380, BA767) and the crew have been very welcoming.

I avoid asking for cockpit visits on short european flights since I know their turnarounds are quick and they need their time to run through their checks and prepare the next leg.

MIAspotter.
Nos vamos de Vueling?