rotation18L
Topic Author

Any Non-Pilots Out There Who are Flight Simulation Veterans?

Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:27 am

Just curious....anyone out there a non-pilot for whatever reason; i.e., lack of time, money, nausea :lol: but long-time home-based flight simulator enthusiasts to the point that you would call yourself a flight sim veteran? I am a non-pilot but after 20 years of flight simulation, the opportunity to obtain my PPL is still intriguing.

My question is: How did you begin flight simulation and why; i.e., how did you discover it??

For me, I just happened upon MSFS while doing some surfing one day, and I've never looked back. That was in 1999. Today: Still piloting flights on x-plane.

I have about 1.5 hours from such experiences as Discovery Flights but no serious reality flight.....hmmmm... at least not yet. :D

BWIAirport

Re: Any Non-Pilots Out There Who are Flight Simulation Veterans?

Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:38 pm

My friend got me FS2004 for my 8th birthday and I was hooked. A couple years later, I successfully landed my first plane. Since then, I've been teaching myself more and more about how to fly. Got FSX in 2011. Since then, I've learned how to properly use autopilot, FMCs, ILS, and so on. Now, I still play every chance I get when I'm home from break, squeezing every last bit out of my computer to make it work.
SWA, UAL, DAL, AWE, ASA, TRS, DLH, CLH, AFR, BAW, EIN | E190 DC9 712 733 737 738 739 744 752 762 77W A319 A320 A321 A333 A343 A388 MD88

gift4tbone

Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:50 am

I dont normally post much on here, after once drunken stupid post haha. BUT this is a topic i can answer.

I think anyone who really enjoys flightsim alot, can recall with fondness how they began their journey. For me personally it was summer 1996, shortly after twa 800. I had just moved cross country and was not at all, at the age of 12, looking fwd to getting on an airplane. My dad, recommended i use a flight sim to learn more about and eventually feel less hesitation about flying. He handed me a floppy disk, yes FLOPPY, haha, with FS5 on it. The internet was still in it early stages, and i recall reading on flightsim.com, about this great addon for FS5, called FSFlightShop. It allowed the ability to download 727s and pretty much any other airliner from the web, and fly it. One day at costco, i found the box for FSFS sitting out, grabbed it and begged, and i mean begged my parents to get it for me.

After that i was hooked, ive had every version of "FS" since except FS95, mostly becuz by the time i learned enough to keep upgrading, FS98 was already out.

I did wish to become a real world pilot, but life didn't work out that way. Tho i do work for a major airline. To this day i fly P3Dv4, in my home cockpit flying the latest 787 around the world. I have even gotten a few of my fellow coworkers to get into FS. Its a great hobby for any AVgeek. And unlike realworld plilpts i can fly almost any aircraft anywhere!

-Tony@PVD
Top 3 airports: PVD 22.1%(142 flights), PHL 13.6%(87 flights), PHX 9.3%(60 flights)

csturdiv

Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:18 am

I first saw a flight sim many, many, many moons ago, at a show and tell when I was in middle school. My first sim was an early version of MSFS. Now I've progressed to P3Dv4, but haven't touched it in months. Maybe the last time was when I took some screenshots for the screenshot thread here.

I've done a couple flights, but haven't taken any lessons. I would love to pick it up again, but who knows.
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

northstardc4m

Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:48 am

FS 2 (on 5.25" on a 286...), FS 3, FS 4.1 (came on both 3.5 and 5.25 disks), FS 5, FS FW95 (on CD wow!), FS 98, FS 2000pro, FS2002, FS2004*, FSX* P3Dv1/2/3, Sierra Pro Pilot, XP9/10/11, Aerofly FS2* ( *= still using)

Not to mention things like F-15 Strike Eagle, F-19, Falcon 4.0, IL-2, LOMAC, Total Air War... of those i think IL-2 is the only one I'd consider a decent flight sim...

Still doing dev work for FS2004 and use it primarily just cause I'd rather be flying in my 1989ish world in it than a modern world in FSX and with the mods i run there is very little better in FSX that i care about over FS2004... P3D I've given up on with my current system, it just doesn't like something... FS2 I'm warming to but it's still not as "ready"as FS2004/FSX/XP11. XP11 I'm slowly expanding into but I'm not sure I like parts of it... we will see.

Only problem is once Windows 7 gives in... I don't know if FS2004 will maintain it's edge.

I likely will never be a real pilot... :(
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

conaly

Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:36 pm

Not a pilot. Been using Flight Simulator in different versions since 2001. I'm pretty sure I have already more than 15k hours spend if I count everything in regards to flight sim, that includes flying, testing, tweaking, supporting, painting, creating and agonizing about things that did not work as planned.
Airports 2018: ADB, ALG, CAI, DAC, DEL, DUS, FRA, GRU, HAM, HAU, HND, IST, KTM, LYS, MUC, NUE, OSL, PKR
Planned: QSF
Cancelled: Lukla :/

Pomie

Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:53 am

In 1989 I was flying flightsim, on a commodor 64 computer.
I am now 61 and still fly FSX SE 3 days a week and I love it.

In the late 70s I signed up for an introductry flight an was hooked. I simply could not
afford to continue to obtain my private license but always infactuated with aircraft.
I have flown MSFS for 25 years, Have become a decent sim pilot, have learned much
about the industry, the aircrat, and many of the great pilots of past and present.
A really great hobby !
Thank you for asking
Pomie