Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

patsonluk
Topic Author

New Airline management simulation online game

Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:02 am

Hi all!

I started this hobby project a while ago and put in a several months of time to build an airline management simulation game. This is my first stab at writing a game (I am a software developer but my job has nothing to do with games at all...)

I want to write an airline simulation game that has good depth in simulation, and focus on things that are fun and challenging.

The game is close to a playable stage and I plan to release it as a free-game. (it's my hobby project anyway). But the problem is I would need to start putting in money to get at least an online cloud server and the SSL certificate. So I wish to gauge interest from this forum and see if anyone would like to give it a try :wave:

The main highlights are:
1. Real passengers that make decisions on what route to take based on various factors : Awareness of your airline, Loyalty to your airline, ticket pricing, seat class, service quality, # of connections, total travel time etc etc. This is different from several games that I played before which appeared to oversimplify flight demand with no connection flights. Having realistic simulation here provides many different strategic options

2. Thousands of airports with basic data driven by real geographical information (surrounding city population, income, airport scale etc)

3. Demand from airport to airport is calculated dynamically (not really based on real world data), which means various changes in game condition (not yet implemented, conditions are static for now) will affect demand accordingly

4. Reactive UI - not a UI expert here. But at least I tried to make the code runs fast and the control flow reasonable

Some screenshots:

World Map View showing the routes flown by an airline based in SFO:

Airport View showing details of an airport (HND):

Showing the passengers map of the route from SFO to HND with all the connection flights taken by virtual passengers

Here's a short clip of the gameplay

There are many other things that I have implemented to try to keep the gameplay strategic and fun. Various rules and constraints are placed to make the game challenging in various ways, and the real passenger simulation also help here. For example I tried to start from various cities as HQ:
a. Pyongyang - domestic demand is very weak. It's a closed country that does not allow international connection flight. The demand to fly out of the country is also low (due to low income). Other major western countries do not allow direct flight neither. The most lucrative routes are those to China - though people from Pyongyang do not travel much, the are a good number of business and tourist passengers from China. Also as it's a closed country, it does not allow international airline to operate to the country, which means my airline at least can dominate the domestic market and any foreigners want to travel to any of the country's cities would need to use my airline for both the flight to Pyongyang and any other domestic flights

b. Anchorage - domestic demand is relatively weak for all the closer cities. It's relatively stronger linking to major west coast cities like San Francisco and Los Angles, unfortunately to fly those routes, it would need airplane with longer range - which also has higher capacity. Those routes simply do not have enough demand to keep profitable. However, one option is to borrow loan from bank and operate flights to closer Asian country like Japan. Now it provides a route from say San Francisco to Anchorage and then from Anchorage to Tokyo. This will benefit all the the domestic routes operated by the airline as it now opens up a route to Asia. However, intercontinental route is NOT allowed for new airline that has not accumulated enough reputation. So the airline need to find someway to expand it's passenger base while still keeping the airline afloat

c. San Diego - domestic demand is quite strong, but operating from a major airport increases the expense alot : office upkeep, renting airport slots etc. Major destinations are mostly already have other competitors (since i don't have real player now, I pre-generated airlines in 250 major airports). The most lucrative flights are actually the ones flying to Mexico, as the airline can charge more flying international and those routes are mostly shorter ones that allow smaller airplanes the new airline can afford

Thank you for reading my long post! All your thoughts, suggestions and questions are greatly appreciated!

SumChristianus

Re: New Airline management simulation online game

Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:34 pm

Thank you for doing this, looks and sounds great?
So can you input actual O/D demand and yields and choose routes?

Amazed at the "connection" map!

patsonluk
Topic Author

Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:07 pm

Thanks for the reply! :D

Currently the O/D demand is simulated by the "conditions/boundaries" for each airport (country relationships, freedom of the air restrictions, population, income, airport scale and other attributes - vacation hub, international city, isolated town etc), so it's not a direct input. (no hard number on city X to city Y is Z amount)

My goal is to have a simulation good enough to generate data similar to real world's, while giving flexibility to simulate new outcome based on the dynamics of the conditions. For example one can start a really successful airline in a city that can actually alter demand distribution that is different from those observed in our current world (some part that I have not implemented yet but on the list for more end-game type - Airlines can make heavy investment in city/airport such as funding airport expansion, city projects to enhance a city's attributes etc)

Routes right now are chosen by virtual passengers with different preferences. Some will put high emphasis on price, some will be more on the quality of the flight while others might want shortest flight time (ie less connections)

Ya the connection map is my favorite too! I sometimes would just keep clicking around and see how people would travel. It's not 100% realistic yet it sometimes shows some rather interesting pattern

My approach is to "tweak" the conditions/restrictions to

SumChristianus

Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:33 pm

Thanks for doing this, I guess you've found a way to do QSI. Realism already sounds great.

luman

Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:39 pm

This looks really good. Interested to see how it turns out. Kudos for putting it together. I've got a load of unfinished gaming projects, so have a lot of respect for those that actually see things to fruition.

I'm also a firm believer in paying for decent software, so would definitely stump up for a licence. I say 'go for it!' :o)

patsonluk
Topic Author

Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:32 pm

Thanks all for the replies!!!!

I actually bought a domain name and pushed it to Amazon Web Services ($$$)

Which means, http://www.airline-club.com is now live!!!! :hyper:

Please take note that the game is still at a pre-pre-pre-pre-alpha stage so quite a few things might not work properly / not yet implemented

Several REALLY important notes:
1. The website is NOT yet SSL protected (no https://) with means it's vulnerable to middle-man attack. So please do NOT use sensitive password. Your password however, is hashed and protected in the database (which means even someone manages to hack the database, they will not be able to figure out your password). Using password generation service is advised (lastpass etc)
2. You will likely be a confused with the flow and certain mechanics in the game. I tried to at least make the initial flow relatively reasonable. A forum will be added to the game (at the minimum) later today (or this week) to explain the basic mechanics
3. The website will go down occasionally w/o notice as it's still under very active development
4. As much as I would like to avoid, sometimes data flush might happen if there are major code changes

But otherwise, the game should be playable (I have been playing it myself ...)

Hope to see you playing soon (and pssst it's free)! :hyper:

drdisque

Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:21 am

I just played a few hours. Obviously there was a few bugs (mainly getting stuck looking at a certain route and not being able to go to the map view to "clear it out". I would design the main map view as a neutral "home screen" that can be blanked out to nothing.

Also, the frequency that the financials on the Routes page refresh is unclear to me. It would help if there were some sort of counter or meter.

Also, one time period my traffic just tanked on two of my biggest routes. I had made no changes to the routes other than one I added an extra flight. Is this seasonality? If so it would be nice to have like a seasonality overlay or something. You said that competition isn't dynamic yet.

The pace of the game, yeah, is really slow. I started up as sort of a regional and got nowhere. I realized that the economics of the ERJ and E120 were insufficient to support themselves but then I had nowhere near the budget to buy mainline aircraft. So you really have to start as a commuter? That would turn a lot of people off. Maybe there's some places in the world where you can make it work as a regional from the get go and then the challenge is finding those places?

Is there a way to start over and keep your same account?

I also noticed some airports were missing (for example Omaha wasn't there but Council Bluffs was).

Definitely playable though and definitely has the possibility to be fun.

patsonluk
Topic Author

Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:41 am

Wow many thanks for the feedbacks and your time!! It's so nice to know someone is looking at it :D

Yes! Certain concepts and mechanics I put in could be very confusing without explanation. I will try to put up some sort of FAQ for that later on my site

Trying to quickly address those questions here before the FAQ is up

1. For frequency (basically how many flights you airline can fly within a week) is controlled by 3 factors - slots the from airport offers, slots that destination airport offers and # of airplanes assigned. In the beginning, the airport slots is going to be the limiting factor - especially the destination airport. Number of slots offered by airport is affected by many things in the equation (i count 7-8 factors in the code), but the dominating ones are : 1. Reputation of your airline and 2. Loyalty to your airline.

As when an airline is rather new, reputation will not give u much edge in negotiating new slots, so loyalty is something that's easier to build up. And that requires providing decent service to that airport, the rate it increases depends how many passengers you transported and how populated a city is (larger the city, harder to build up). In most cases, it goes up slowly and eventually the airport will open up more slots to your airline.

There are many other factors in the equation too, such as presence of HQ/base, how busy is the airport, is that your home country, the country's relationship with your airline etc etc.

2. Fluctuation in passengers - there's no seasonal changes. So w/o other competing airlines it could be
a. A simulation bug - entirely possible lol
b. Randomness - for flight with lower volume, it can have very big swing in demand week by week. Such a fluctuation should be relatively mild for route with higher volume

3. Is there a way to start over and keep the account - definitely on the list. Sorry it's just not implemented yet.

4. Missing airports - yes. That would be something i need to work on too. Now I generated those data based on various source, but i need to "patch" the data source to make it more accurate. Just don't have time yet. Besides, i also need to fill in the data for various "boosts" for airports (you will notice the little icons on some of the airport popup on the top left). Those modifiers give extra bonus to airports - for example airports in Hawaii are "vacation hubs" that attract alot of inbound passengers even with relatively low population on the island. There are many many many work to be done, and i will fill those up later on

5.As for starting off as commuter airline, it's not totally necessary, i'm still trying to tweak the game to make all options viable. I have tried starting off with CS100 with some loans and operate a single route between 2 large cities, it's profitable. However doing smaller airplanes might be easier if the airline is the sole provider for certain smaller towns, the airline can charge a very high price as there are no other competition

One more concept in this game is "Awareness of airline" (that's different from loyalty). Each airport will start off with 0 awareness of your airline, which means people/travel agent simply do not know about your airline, therefore they will not travel with your route (not because of pricing or anything, just because they are not aware). It also takes time to build awareness, but it should be much easier than loyalty, as far as you have flights going to that city, awareness will build up. Starting off with ERJ and E120s are okay as far as there are very huge demand between the airports (so even if only a tiny fraction knows about your airline).

Again, this is something i think require adjustments cause i know it's quite confusing to user

Many many many other things on my list. (adding more airplane models, more game mechanics etc)

Please DO let me know about your thoughts, those are all greatly appreciated!

SocalApproach

Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:26 am

Ill give it a go. Thank you for doing this. The pictures look great! I havent played yet but I did not see anything about cargo or codeshares? I would think the airlines in real life make most of their money off cargo flying in/out of Alaska. Every airline management game I have ever played, Alaska has always been the hardest to make money and Its obviously because the nice people like you that make these sort of games know the traffic isnt really the money maker on these flights. Do you think cargo would be an option to add one day? How about codeshares so people can work as a team to service places that they would not otherwise be allowed to. I get that can get out of control with people cheating/making multiple accounts or just spamming entirely.

Thanks again

patsonluk
Topic Author

Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:58 am

Cargo - not on the top of my list right now. It might happen , but there are many many many things on the list kekeke

Code share - YES! that's one of the top of my list. But this is something that I need to design/implement carefully - the most important parts are:
1. Constraints to make it fun - can't just let the whole world be one happy alliance...
2. Communication channel to allow people from within the game to negotiate terms. I just setup a forum so that's a minimum
3. Implementation of it - in fact, code sharing should not be hard to integrate into current "virtual passenger" logic - virtual passenger is much more willing to take connection flight if both the flights are from the same airline (in other word - switching airline gives "penalty") so in some sense if the flights are within the same "code-share" i can just change the code to add less penalty.

There are probably a lot of other UIs and logic to make it work nicely, but i put that very high up on my list cause it's a very fun idea to have code share! I'm just waiting to see if I get enough player base before doing it. Cause it wouldn't make much sense if all the airlines in the game are those auto-generated ones :lol:

drdisque

Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:23 pm

Oh yeah, one thing that was frustrating, especially in the early stages of the game is that if you want to serve a destination 1x daily, even on a very short route, it uses the entire aircraft and that aircraft can't be used for other routes.

Redwood839

Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:57 pm

patsonluk wrote:
Cargo - not on the top of my list right now. It might happen , but there are many many many things on the list kekeke

Code share - YES! that's one of the top of my list. But this is something that I need to design/implement carefully - the most important parts are:
1. Constraints to make it fun - can't just let the whole world be one happy alliance...
2. Communication channel to allow people from within the game to negotiate terms. I just setup a forum so that's a minimum
3. Implementation of it - in fact, code sharing should not be hard to integrate into current "virtual passenger" logic - virtual passenger is much more willing to take connection flight if both the flights are from the same airline (in other word - switching airline gives "penalty") so in some sense if the flights are within the same "code-share" i can just change the code to add less penalty.

There are probably a lot of other UIs and logic to make it work nicely, but i put that very high up on my list cause it's a very fun idea to have code share! I'm just waiting to see if I get enough player base before doing it. Cause it wouldn't make much sense if all the airlines in the game are those auto-generated ones :lol:

It would be nice to have a password reset feature. I forgot my username lol. PM sent.

imperialairways

Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:57 pm

Hey, very nice indeed, already having quite a bit of fun!
One question though, is there a way to change planes between routes without having to cancel and then re-establishing said routes? I'm trying to right-size certain routes.

patsonluk
Topic Author

Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:47 pm

imperialairways wrote:
One question though, is there a way to change planes between routes without having to cancel and then re-establishing said routes? I'm trying to right-size certain routes.

Thanks!!! You should be able to edit the route and just change the plane model in the dropdown.

Is it not working for you? Take note that it might show zero frequency and warning of"limited by airplane" as you might have any stock of the newly selected model. If that's the case, simply click purchase aircraft in the box below.

Take note that in some cases you might have limited choice in the drop down due to flight range or airport size.

Please let me know if it still doesn't work.

Sorry about all the missing documentation and possibly bugs. The game development is still at very early stage and please do let me know if anything is not working!

patsonluk
Topic Author

Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:12 pm

Added a new "startup profile" that when a player starts a new airline, he/she gets to choose from one of the 3 different profiles - giving an option to own 2 aged B737-700C but with heavy debt. So players can choose a different path from starting off as a commuter airline (Thanks for the feedback from @drdisque :) )

Adding a new "Country Champion" system (work in progress, pushed out some changes this morning already). That the airline carries most passengers for a country will be considered the "Champion" of that country and based on the country's market size, various reputation point will be awarded (to be implemented very soon)

The existing country screen has already been updated to show who's the current champion as well as market share of each airline for that country. Office view is also enhanced to show a list of countries your airlines have championed in so far

As always, feedbacks are welcome :hyper:

imperialairways

Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:26 am

patsonluk wrote:
imperialairways wrote:

Thanks!!! You should be able to edit the route and just change the plane model in the dropdown.

Is it not working for you? Take note that it might show zero frequency and warning of"limited by airplane" as you might have any stock of the newly selected model. If that's the case, simply click purchase aircraft in the box below.

Take note that in some cases you might have limited choice in the drop down due to flight range or airport size.

Sorry about all the missing documentation and possibly bugs. The game development is still at very early stage and please do let me know if anything is not working!

Still hooked on it, actually more than before! ;-)
I had two routes and two planes which I would have liked to switch, but apparently the game does not allow that. My work-around was just buying a third plane and then readjusting.
Forum is up and running, that's great, so more input through that channel.

JonathanNg

Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:52 am

Hi patsonluk, I would appreciate it if your map is of a brighter/lighter colour. Right now it's a little hard to see where everything is. Thanks. :wave:

patsonluk
Topic Author

Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:36 pm

imperialairways wrote:
patsonluk wrote:
imperialairways wrote:

Still hooked on it, actually more than before! ;-)
I had two routes and two planes which I would have liked to switch, but apparently the game does not allow that. My work-around was just buying a third plane and then readjusting.
Forum is up and running, that's great, so more input through that channel.

yay!!! Thanks for playing! :hyper:

I am adding new contents and tweaking the game everyday :) !

I will try to make huge tweak to minimal but certain big changes are needed to ensure the game is challenging all the time (and my airline, for one, is subjected to those changes too)

Have you championed your home country and surround countries yet? That should reap you nice reputation bonus (means higher airline grade) to further expand your network!

Again many thanks for playing this game at such an early stage. Sorry you guys are kinda my guinea pigs before i try to push to games to more forums. Sometimes the game might be down momentarily as I am pushing updates quite often

I deliberately tried to go aggressive on some airline (Sorry China Air...you were my attack target, just to test things out :lol: ) to operate on the same routes and undercut them by lower ticket price.

End result : I borrowed too much loan and was in debt for like 2 days and the whole airline was paralyzed due to negative balance. Guess it's a good thing cause it does simulate bad result for my ruthless moves :shock: . But watch out for my random attacks again when i accumulate enough $$$, i will come back kekeke :box:

patsonluk
Topic Author

Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:39 pm

JonathanNg wrote:
Hi patsonluk, I would appreciate it if your map is of a brighter/lighter colour. Right now it's a little hard to see where everything is. Thanks. :wave:

Sure sir! I am planning to add a switch for light and dark themes :hyper:

Meanwhile, would switching to satellite view on google map alleviate the issue?

joshrice

Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:42 pm

patsonluk wrote:

I deliberately tried to go aggressive on some airline (Sorry China Air...you were my attack target, just to test things out :lol: ) to operate on the same routes and undercut them by lower ticket price.

End result : I borrowed too much loan and was in debt for like 2 days and the whole airline was paralyzed due to negative balance. Guess it's a good thing cause it does simulate bad result for my ruthless moves :shock: . But watch out for my random attacks again when i accumulate enough $$$, i will come back kekeke :box:

So you are "Air Canada" then...lol

Enjoying the game play, spent a fair bit of time playing and tinkering with it. Not sure about other people, but the website seems to be a drain on my CPU, everything else slows down when i have the tab open.

Little stuck at the moment though as I can't seem to add any routes since you updated something with the slots. I've upgraded my hub twice to Cat 7 but no new slots become available. I have 14 planes sat waiting to be set up that I can't do anything with...Also not sure if you tinkered something with the finances, but some routes which would do okay before are bleeding money now.

Couple of requests from me;

Ability to see other airlines route maps
Marketing to improve rep of airline (think you are adding this anyway as there is a line in office for it?)
Most Demanded unserved routes from an airport list
More planes (and ability to lease not just buy)
And if there is a way to make the route demands a bit more accurate that would be great too (PEK-HAN only has a demand of like 50pax a week)

Finally a question. Which day is "finance day", ie when everything updates to show results from previous week?

Look forward to seeing what else is in store for the game! Keep it up

patsonluk
Topic Author

Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:09 am

>>>
So you are "Air Canada" then...lol
<<<
ouch busted :scared:

>>>
Enjoying the game play, spent a fair bit of time playing and tinkering with it. Not sure about other people, but the website seems to be a drain on my CPU, everything else slows down when i have the tab open.
<<<
I noticed that performance is the best on chrome, but ya, i would need to fix something. I believe it's all the dots that i draw for the flights...but it could be something else

>>>
Little stuck at the moment though as I can't seem to add any routes since you updated something with the slots. I've upgraded my hub twice to Cat 7 but no new slots become available. I have 14 planes sat waiting to be set up that I can't do anything with
<<<
Ya. Sorry i did make a big change to slot assignment. This is to encourage people to use hubs in 2nd tier city (smaller airport) for domestic routes that have lower volume (to keep the HQ operate most of the higher volume route). Try to spread out your flights a bit and see if it helps. At Level 7 hub, you should be able to get around 400 slots at 50 loyalty, is that not enough?

>>>
...Also not sure if you tinkered something with the finances, but some routes which would do okay before are bleeding money now.
<<<
If it's a big drop in one week then back up to 100% next week then it's a bug i'm trying to figure out. But if it's a line that's bleeding red for an extended period of time then it's probably someone's else route is draining your passengers. Take note that not only direct competitor can steal customers, connection flights can too! The model is quite complicated and that could be many reasons ( for example a lot of passengers used to take that route as part of the connection flight but now there's another alternative; or there are connection flights that flies between those 2 cities with another stopover in the middle). I need to find someway to give analyst for those... :scratchchin:

Couple of requests from me;

>>>
Ability to see other airlines route maps
<<<
Yes, next thing im working on. Maybe not a route map yet. But at least you will get to see all the routes ur rival operates. Not going to show profit directly though :)

>>>
Marketing to improve rep of airline (think you are adding this anyway as there is a line in office for it?)
<<<
Im thinking about how to put it in correctly. The more i design it, reputation is almost like a very long term thing that can only build up using more fundamental means - increase passenger flow, dominate in countries. Marketing is supposed to give a temporary boon so i'm still pondering on it. One thing i could do is to make it a "awareness boost" (probably useful for new airlines). But I would have to strike the balance here - I don't want something too temporary (re-applying advertisement does not make the game more fun :) ), but it shouldn't be too powerful neither

>>>
Most Demanded unserved routes from an airport list
<<<
kekeke good idea...maybe not something so straight up telling player everything but sorta give some random suggestion once in a while.

>>>
More planes (and ability to lease not just buy)
<<<
Yes, I still need to fill in the data. Sorry, the game is still not completed (at all), so i just put in the skeleton to make it playable. Leasing is very realistic but again i need to make sure it doesn't mean a shortcut for winning :)

In fact, one kinda interesting idea i have is that since I have country mutual relationship. Airplanes will have a manufacturing country, and depending on ur home country relationship with that country. You might be charged differently (or not able to buy some model at all)

I'm also planning on having a 2nd hand market for airplanes too. so much to work on :hot:

>>>
And if there is a way to make the route demands a bit more accurate that would be great too (PEK-HAN only has a demand of like 50pax a week)
<<<
Yes. This is also the "fill in the data" type of thing. My algorithm never have any "hard" data to generate demand but there are factors that will affect it (in case if you didn't notice those little icons on the top right of city popup). Some cities have certain charms that attract more passengers. I believe HAN (Hangzhou or Hainan? or somewhere else?) is a popular tourist spot (im going to introduce more charms too)? So i just need to patch the cities to adjust the demand...fill in the data work.... :)

>>>
Finally a question. Which day is "finance day", ie when everything updates to show results from previous week?
<<<
The time on the top left is kinda a lie lol sorry. I run the simulation on a different process and a week is done when the computation is done. The computation is very intense and takes around 10 mins to finish the computation, so one week is around 10 mins I guess?

>>>
Look forward to seeing what else is in store for the game! Keep it up
<<<
Thanks for the awesome suggestions and more importantly playing my game again! I hope you dominate China and other countries soon (just leave North America to me lololol) ! I won't go down w/o a fight :box:

patsonluk
Topic Author

Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:50 am

Added various new elements to the game.

- Light/Dark map theme
- Option to start over again - declare bankruptcy (while keeping reputation, loyalty and city awareness)
- Old airplanes now breakdown and cause delays and even cancellations

Working on creating a pretty departures board next :D and going to add several more airplane models A380 woohooo - maybe i should make it super fuel intensive and bankrupt anyone that uses it XD

patsonluk
Topic Author

Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:07 am

Added Airliner illustration to the game woot! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Pretty illustrations courtesy of Noreobb! https://www.norebbo.com/tag/airliner-templates/

patsonluk
Topic Author

Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:27 pm

Just some updates to the game!

In the last few weeks there are quite a few new features introduced in the game. But I am just going to highlight the interesting one, departures board!

This showcases several new features in the game:
1. Cancellation and delays - Older airplanes can cause delays and cancellation that affect the profitability and reputation of an airline
2. Airline logo - New airlines are free to choose from a number of logo templates, more successful airline can upload their own logos
3. Live local weather - The weather shown on the top right of the board indicates current local weather. Severe weather such as hurricane, thunderstorm or snow can cause major delays and flight cancellations

The game is growing in a healthy pace with new players joining everyday! :)

I am also going to work on the next expansion of the airline game and take it to the next level (literally)

The planned expansion is called "Airline Club - Space and Beyond"!!! This is going to be integrated into the existing airline world ... not going to disclose too much details now :P But there will be randomized planets to be discovered! (credit to another opensource project https://zarkonnen.itch.io/planet-generator)

And of course on the aviation front, more planes models are added to the game:
ATR 42-600, ATR 72-600, Bombardier Q400, Airbus A320neo, Boeing 737 MAX 9 and Airbus A340-500!

tempay

Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:23 am

Bravo!

I always want to build an airline management game that is different from those existing ones.
Just signed up for your game. (also this forum to reply to your post!)

I am a developer too, would love to contribute to your project if you see the need.

thanks for bringing the fresh blood into airline sim game world!

zuoyi

Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:01 am

Great game! Just wondering how to add the return flight.

patsonluk
Topic Author

Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:14 pm

O.... sorry about the late reply!

@tempay the project is opensource at https://github.com/patsonluk/airline so feel free to create PR or issues
@zuoyi Thanks! Routes set up between 2 cities will have flights going in both direction automatically. You can see that by clicking on the "View Passenger Map" button (multiple times to see different directions) when u inspect the route details :)

PatrickZ80

Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:44 pm

I've just discovered this game, it looks great. However I'm still figuring out the scheduling. I have 2 aircraft and 2 routes and when I try to add a third route it says I can't. However I want my routes to be less than daily, let's say once or twice weekly. That way I can add far more routes with those aircraft. After all that's how they do it in real life, the same aircraft is being used on multiple routes.

patsonluk
Topic Author

Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:40 pm

Hey Patrick thanks for playing the game!

Unfortunately a single aircraft can only be assigned to a single route for now. There are quite a few people asks for scheduling like you have suggested - it might be implemented in the future. But as for now, there are many items in the backlog so there's no promise on timeline ;)

Please let me know if you have other questions/thoughts!

PatrickZ80

Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:46 pm

patsonluk wrote:
Hey Patrick thanks for playing the game!

Unfortunately a single aircraft can only be assigned to a single route for now. There are quite a few people asks for scheduling like you have suggested - it might be implemented in the future. But as for now, there are many items in the backlog so there's no promise on timeline ;)

Please let me know if you have other questions/thoughts!

That's too bad since no scheduling makes it nearly impossible to play the game. I've just declared bankrupcy to my airline. I got the feeling with more routes it would have been profitable, but as it is now the game makes it impossible to make a profit.

I will return when scheduling has been implemented, so please keep me informed. It is a nice concept, but it's far from finished.

Another suggestion, however with less priority, is to specify your service level further. For example specify if you want to charge for luggage, if you want to provide free meals / snacks or if you want a buy-on-board program.

Flyingdevil737

Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:52 am

I have a problem...

I have $97,000,000 but I can’t buy any planes.

Any help/advice would be appreciated thanks

patsonluk
Topic Author

Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:42 am

Flyingdevil737 wrote:
I have a problem...

Would you mind to provide a bit more details? 97Mil should be enough for quite a few airplane models. You mean you cannot "order" any airplanes ? (building the airplane takes time)

There's also second hand airplane market and with 97M you should be able to get something

Anyway, if you have further problem with the game, feel free to leave a message in https://airlineclub.createaforum.com/

Flyingdevil737

Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:20 am

patsonluk wrote:
Flyingdevil737 wrote:
I have a problem...

Would you mind to provide a bit more details? 97Mil should be enough for quite a few airplane models. You mean you cannot "order" any airplanes ? (building the airplane takes time)

There's also second hand airplane market and with 97M you should be able to get something

Anyway, if you have further problem with the game, feel free to leave a message in https://airlineclub.createaforum.com/

I go to the airplane section and click on the CRJ700 and tells me “not enough cash to get this airplane” or something like that. And I can’t borrow anything from the bank either.....

patsonluk
Topic Author

Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:23 am

Flyingdevil737 wrote:
patsonluk wrote:
Flyingdevil737 wrote:
I have a problem...

I go to the airplane section and click on the CRJ700 and tells me “not enough cash to get this airplane” or something like that. And I can’t borrow anything from the bank either.....

Can you please PM me your registered email or your account name?

TheEuphorian

Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:56 pm

there should be an ability to wetlease planes from other airlines ingame.

ps. how do I sell planes from my fleet

patsonluk
Topic Author

Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:06 am

Go into airplane tab, click on the airplane model, and u should see the inventory section, click the airplane icon there and u should see a dialog for selling/replacing it

travelful

Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:28 am

This is awesome, was looking to build a virtual airline (more on the shopping side, airline website, booking, etc.) Does the simulator generate demand for your route? when do your airplanes start flying?

DawnFifer

Fri May 03, 2019 7:15 am

This looks interesting!!!

seanpmassey

Mon May 13, 2019 9:40 pm

Hi @patsonluk!

I tried out the game. It looks great.

A couple of comments and suggestions from my short time playing:
1. I second the request for enhanced scheduling. When starting out and building a regional airline, there is no reason that I shouldn't be able to use a regional jet like a CR200 or a E140 on multiple short routes in the same day or building an Allegiant-style airline where multiple destinations are served less-than-daily. I haven't done true long-haul yet, but I would assume the game doesn't account for long routes like LAX-SYD/MEL/AKL or LHR-PER where multiple planes would be needed to handle once-daily flights.
2. The ability to lease planes would be great.
3. The ability to refurbish planes would also be great when buying used or maintaining your current fleet. This should also be part of routine maintenance like C-checks where planes have to come out of service for a short time.
4. Fleet configuration manager - the ability to create certain seating configs on planes and manage them via templates. When I want to reconfigure a plane from say all Y to a mix of Y/J/F, I should have to take the plane out of service while the changes are made. This would add a more strategic element to fleet management.
5. Your fuel burn numbers seem off. A340-500s should not have lower fuel burn numbers than more modern planes like the A350-900. While getting real fuel-burn numbers would be difficult, it shouldn't be too hard to get approximations from people on here.
6. A cargo module to provide additional revenue or route opportunities.
7. A true reset button. There isn't a good way to start over besides "Rebuild Airline" and "Declare Bankruptcy." Both options don't really help a new player when there is a huge learning curve.

Overall, this is great. I have no doubt that you put a lot of work into this game, and it shows. Kudos on the good work.

DALMD80

Tue May 14, 2019 12:48 pm

Hey! It's Aloha in-game. I wanted to ask if you could add the 717 and MD-88. Thanks!

DALMD80

Tue May 14, 2019 12:59 pm

Also I would love the ability to make something like BWI=>MDW=>DFW=>MIA.

jonnyclam123

Wed May 15, 2019 4:43 pm

Weird question but is it possible to change the name of your airline and if so how?

AirKevin

Wed May 22, 2019 4:12 pm

Also, is it possible to sell a plane?

IQuit

Thu May 23, 2019 3:05 am

One thing I like about this game is that game balance is being given sufficient consideration with every aircraft model added instead of following biased sources blindly, although you still have some overbuffed aircraft like 787. Most other airline games offer hundreds of aircraft types, but less than 5 are truly useful in their games.

MJ8

Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:21 pm

It’s saying the link is not secure, and that the connection is not private. Is it just me or have you heard of this issue before?

patsonluk
Topic Author

Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:12 am

O nozzzz...so i have missed all of these replies... for the last few months!

Just so you guys know, the V 1.1 has just came out! See viewtopic.php?p=21314249#p21314249 for details

To quickly address some questions so far:
1. In V1.1, you CAN assign a single a/c to multiple routes, that's about the biggest change for V1.1
2. In V1.1, there are Seat configuration templates/management. All airlines can have up to 5 configurations per a/c model
3. Changing airline name is not available via UI, but you can also ask in-game or in the game forums and we can manually do it (depending on what change that is)
4. It has always been possible to sell airplane but perhaps not the flow in V1.0 was confusing. The flow in V1.1 should be much clearer now!
5. The link should be guarded by SSL and signed. Make sure to use "https" as in https://www.airline-club.com