Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

psa188
Topic Author

John Wegg RIP

Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:39 pm

I've heard from multiple sources that John Wegg, original editor of Airliners magazine, founder of Airways magazine, Caravelle expert and author of several books, recently died in New Zealand. More here: http://nzcivair.blogspot.com/2018/01/jo ... 0-rip.html.

RIP John.

dcaviation

Re: John Wegg RIP

Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:46 am

Very sad indeed. RIP John

flyPIT

Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:58 am

Sad news. Both Airliners magazine and Airways magazine were at their prime when Mr. Wegg was at the helm. Tailwinds....

alberchico

Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:48 am

:tombstone: R.I.P. One has to wonder where Airliners would be today had he been managing it....

crownvic

Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:27 am

A true legend..thank you John..

Hawkeagle

Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:28 pm

John was my "brother in law for a few years". He was like the TRUE older brother I never had. He bought me my first VHF Air band Radio and we had happy times visiting Gatwick airport and taking photographs which he processed in his tiny bedsit and dried the prints on the window pane. He was working at West Drayton London ATC and used to give me tips on forthcoming "RARE" over flights on the "Green1" Airway, 123.800Mhz that was visible from the house. The flights were apparently "troop charters" as the Vietnam war was at its height. Planes such as Trans Caribbean DC8s, and Eastern DC8s that NEVER landed in the UK were overflying regularly, my "Plane Spotter" friends were really jealous!!! His aviation records at that time were massive and impeccably kept. He was also responsible for spotting the advert in "Air Pictorial" which became my first job for Hawker Siddeley Aviation. I was later able to repay the favour in tracking down the ONLY glass negative in existence from the vast HSA photographic files, of a photo of a Yugoslav Hawker Fury which my dear friend Mr John Tweddell The "Chief Photographer" had numerous 10x8 copies printed for John's Book. John was born in Ipswich, sadly he never knew his real farther and was actually brought up by his lovely kind Grand Parents, there are still a number of "Weggs" listed in the phone directory in this area, I assume they are related? Strangely enough after travelling thousands of miles over the years I now live very near to Ipswich, I remember I used to tease him about his Suffolk pronunciation. In the "HIPPY" period he became a very colourful character and I remember him driving a Citroen 2CV that he painted purple to match the boots he also painted purple with gold stars. Which I also remember he wore to the London ATC Christmas party at the old Heathrow Control Tower which my then partner (Ingrid) and I attended thanks to John. He also introduced me to Led Zeppelin and Santana etc etc and broadened my musical horizons beyond belief. He left ATC and went to work for "World Airways and also Lufthansa if my memory serves me well, as a "Ramp Agent" ?."I am so sad he is no longer with us. It is a sad loss for his dear wife and all his many friends he was always in my thoughts as a kind and gifted "brother figure" and I also admired his many wonderful talents.

Archer

Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:30 pm

So sorry to hear John Wegg has "gone West". I was an early subscriber to Airliners and then Airways so long ago. Probably still have most of those issues.
Only last week, reading the March issue, did I learn of John's passing. One of my fondest memories and trips was the DC-3 tour of New Zealand in 2002.
Airways (I'm sure by then) sponsored it and I still get the videos out every few years to re-live it again. Can you imagine landing an airliner in a grass field!
We did several times. Someone always had the uncomfortable jump seat for each landing and takeoff. Wow!
I often would send airliner questions to John and he always answered. So glad I knew him. RIP

aeromoe

Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:21 am

I was please to personally know John for a number of years, specifically the late 80s through the 90s. We traded Christmas cards for most of that time. I stayed over his place one night in Pollock Pines, CA. His home office was a true airline enthusiasts playground...massive book case loaded with volumes of interesting material and display models all over the place. Truly a gentleman's gentleman, at least from my perspective. R.I.P. John and condolences to his family.