Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

m0ssy
Topic Author

Scanner advice wanted...

Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:26 am

I have about $100 to spend on a handheld scanner and am considering the Uniden BC75XLT 300-Channel Handheld Scanner. This would be my fo st handheld so I know nothing of this subject.

Any reason I should consider an alternate option? It’s simply for when I’m out spotting, nothing fancy. I doubt I’d ever try and stream a feed or anything.

How far out can a typical handheld scanner like this pick up traffic?

Thanks for the help in advance!

James

Moose135

Re: Scanner advice wanted...

Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:39 pm

I'm not familiar with that model, but I have a Uniden BCD396, a higher-end model. Uniden has been making scanners a long time - I got one of their older models over 20 years ago and it worked very well. I broke the antenna, and while looking for a replacement, saw this newer model and decided to upgrade, or I might still be using the old one.

Scanner range will depend on the source of the signal - you will pick up an ATC tower at a shorter range due to line-of-sight and other issues. When I'm out at CLT, I can pick up the tower from a couple of miles away, but usually hear aircraft on approach from 10+ miles away. Aircraft at altitude should be picked up even further away.

Check to see if Uniden has software that will allow you to program the scanner - my 396 has a desktop program that lets me enter frequencies, set up frequency lists (so I can have all the frequencies for a specific airport/region in one group), and then upload them to the scanner via a USB cable. That makes programming the scanner much easier and quicker.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Uniden scanner.

SheikhDjibouti

Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:34 pm

m0ssy wrote:
I have about $100 to spend on a handheld scanner....
James

I'm not sure that Aviation Photography is the best place to ask your question, but you got a good result anyway, so no probs.
Suggest you check this recent thread under Aviation Hobby section.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1376169
And especially note the web link given for live ATC coverage.

m0ssy
Topic Author

Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:29 pm

Moose135 wrote:
I'm not familiar with that model, but I have a Uniden BCD396, a higher-end model. Uniden has been making scanners a long time - I got one of their older models over 20 years ago and it worked very well. I broke the antenna, and while looking for a replacement, saw this newer model and decided to upgrade, or I might still be using the old one.

Scanner range will depend on the source of the signal - you will pick up an ATC tower at a shorter range due to line-of-sight and other issues. When I'm out at CLT, I can pick up the tower from a couple of miles away, but usually hear aircraft on approach from 10+ miles away. Aircraft at altitude should be picked up even further away.

Check to see if Uniden has software that will allow you to program the scanner - my 396 has a desktop program that lets me enter frequencies, set up frequency lists (so I can have all the frequencies for a specific airport/region in one group), and then upload them to the scanner via a USB cable. That makes programming the scanner much easier and quicker.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Uniden scanner.

Thanks for the feedback! That's exactly what I was after. I wanted to ensure that I'd be able to hear landing clearance for approaching aircraft when switching to tower frequency.

James

m0ssy
Topic Author

Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:30 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
m0ssy wrote:
I have about $100 to spend on a handheld scanner....
James

I'm not sure that Aviation Photography is the best place to ask your question, but you got a good result anyway, so no probs.
Suggest you check this recent thread under Aviation Hobby section.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1376169
And especially note the web link given for live ATC coverage.

Thanks for the feedback. I honestly wasn't sure if I was in the right forum myself, but thanks for the info. :)

James