Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

aussieben
Topic Author

Request - SQ interior photos or timetable from 1987

Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:02 am

Hi all

This is a request for info but includes a very sketchy trip report to give context to why I'm requesting the details. So please bear with me.

It's now been just over 30 years since my first flight. The flight that kicked off my never-ending enthusiasm for all things aviation. If I could turn back time I would have kept everything - Itinerary/tickets, inflight magazines etc. I would have taken photos and written down registrations. Unfortunately the only thing I currently have from back then is my passport. This is stamped to show that I left SYD on March 12 1987. Returning to SYD April 12 1987.

Flights were with SQ. I think mostly on 747-200. Although I think at least 1 sector was on a 743 as I distinctly remember seeing the 'Big Top' lettering on the upper deck. Sectors are as follows

SYD-SIN March 12, 1987
SIN-DXB-ZRH March 12-13, 1987
ZRH-SIN April 10, 1987
SIN-MEL-SYD April 11-12, 1987

Outbound trip

I was only 8 years old. However, even 30 years later, if there's a day in my life I wish I could relive it would be March 12, 1987. The day just seemed to have a magical quality to it. I remember the flight left probably mid afternoon. It was delayed about half an hour due to the baggage conveyor belt breaking down, so the aircraft had to be loaded manually. I was travelling with my Dad and I remember him being really concerned about the delay. I did initially think this was due to him being Swiss and expecting absolute precision and punctuality. However, it was probably more to do with being concerned about missing the connecting flight to ZRH. Anyway it was a runway 16 departure (no 16L or 16R in those days at SYD) It was a crystal clear day with not a cloud in the sky. Crossing the outback that afternoon I got a true appreciation of the vastness of Australia. The onward trip to DXB and Zurich was notable for getting off the aircraft via stairs rather than jetway at DXB. I remember this allowed me to view the engine intakes close up for the first time. It kind of scared me a little. The approach to Zurich was in very poor visibility and it was snowing when we touched down. This is the first time in my life I had seen snow.

Return trip

This was less memorable probably because I didn't want my holiday to end. We departed ZRH right on dusk. I have no memory of us stopping in DXB this time. I think this may have been a direct ZRH-SIN flight. This would seem strange in the days before the 747-400 so I could be wrong. This flight also may have been on the 747-300 as I distinctly remember the Big Top wording when getting off at Singapore. We seemed to have quite a long time in transit in Singapore before departing for MEL and SYD in the evening. We landed in MEL right at daybreak and then continued on to SYD.

Anyway to get to my request: With the power of the internet I've searched several times over the years for interior photos of the SQ economy cabin as it was in 1987, to be able to relive my memories of these first flights. I can't find anything on this site or anything on the internet in general, through a wider google search. I do remember the seats themselves were a kind of light grey colour with a chequered pattern and the headrest coverings were pink or possibly red with a stripped pattern.

Why do I need to see a photo you ask? Who cares what colour the seats were? Well no reason in particular but for a trip down memory lane. This was the standout journey that kindled the fire in my belly for aviation enthusiasm that hasn't died since. Also I'm curious why I can't seem to find a single photo anywhere of the SQ economy cabin from that time.

Also if anyone happens to have an SQ timetable from then. I would then be able to know flight numbers, aircraft type, the departure and arrival times that were involved etc. Something more than just a date stamp in my passport. This would just be nice to know. Also I could redo the flight on FSX :D

I've tried searching for the timetables - There are sites that publish complete historical timetables, but I can't find anything for SQ in 1987.

Anyway, if anyone has any details can they let me know and post a reply. Many thanks.

Flightsimboy

Re: Request - SQ interior photos or timetable from 1987

Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:37 pm

I had posted a trip report on here from my flights on SQ in 1988. Though there is no pic of the aircraft we flew on the BIG TOP.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=968897&p=12967113&hilit=Singapore+Airlines#p12967113

aussieben
Topic Author

Re: Request - SQ interior photos or timetable from 1987

Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:07 pm

Flightsimboy Wow. Thanks that is great. Shows the old façade of the SYD international terminal. I remember the old brown bricks, a far cry from what it is now. I think the way the SYD terminal was back in the late 1980's was in it's original design from when it was opened in 1970. Which meant even back then, it was in desperate need of a renovation.

I have a distinct memory of the meal trays being blue. Even though the interior shots are a bit fuzzy, it at least confirms this.

Thanks again :)