Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Classa64
Topic Author

FSX Steam Edition issues.

Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:13 pm

My laptop Specs...

Alienware M14xR2 - 14" - Core i7 3630QM - 8 GB RAM - 750 GB HDD
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M Video

I ran this game in moderate detail with my old AMD Dinosaur of a Desktop PC, using a GeForce 9800GT..

My laptop struggles with this game especially rendering between switching views from inside cockpit to outside etc. Chugs a bit in the clouds as well. If I am inside cockpit view and look left right or what ever and switch back to inside I loose half my screen to it trying to render the panel. Flickers and flashes, Its like its trying to un-draw the scenery and cant draw the panel, eventually it renders. I can run FS2004 Full rip no issues , and ya its an older game with a lot less detail etc but it runs flawless. I can run , Sniper Ghost warrior on High, Sniper V2 on high and great frame rates but FSX forget it. I tried the usual uninstall and re-downloaded it, tried to adjust visuals and details but still has the rendering issue.

Love the game but now its really to frustrating to play.... any suggestions, Ideas ? Is it possible its just not enough video card to handle the work.

Thanks
C.

Aptivaboy

Re: FSX Steam Edition issues.

Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:27 pm

Do you have the latest version of Direct X 9? From reading a few online boards, that seems to be an issue with this game/sim.

Also, the Steam page for this game says, "DirectX®9 compliant video card or greater, 256 MB video RAM or higher, Shader Model 1.1 or higher (Laptop versions of these chipsets may work but are not supported. Updates to your video and sound card drivers may be required)."

So... You could be looking at a hardware (in)compatibility issue if it ran fine on a desktop but not on a laptop, even a newer one.

Classa64
Topic Author

Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:55 am

Aptivaboy wrote:
Do you have the latest version of Direct X 9? From reading a few online boards, that seems to be an issue with this game/sim.

Also, the Steam page for this game says, "DirectX®9 compliant video card or greater, 256 MB video RAM or higher, Shader Model 1.1 or higher (Laptop versions of these chipsets may work but are not supported. Updates to your video and sound card drivers may be required)."

So... You could be looking at a hardware (in)compatibility issue if it ran fine on a desktop but not on a laptop, even a newer one.

Thanks for the info/thoughts... I will dig into The 650M card that's in this Laptop and see what I can figure out, like you said I bet its an incompatibility issue and may just have to move on from it till I upgrade or find a solution.

C

ChrisKen

Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:48 am

Graphics card makes little difference to FSX, it's all processor dependant, as is FS9. The usual choke point after processor is the RAM/HDD access.
FSX was also a buggy pile of poo to start with, which was never addressed with MS deciding to shelve it instead.