Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jetsetterusa
Topic Author

Good place to spot in SEA!

Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:20 pm

I'm going to Seattle for the first time this weekend and I would love to go and take a look at the Boeing factory in are all that good stuff but most importantly I like to see the new American Airlines Max where is a good place that I could might see that does anyone know?
Last edited by atcsundevil on Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title updated

SomebodyInTLS

Re: Good place to spot in sea!

Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:00 pm

Next time you use a code, put it in CAPS...

I genuinely thought this thread was about some tropical island with excellent spotting opportunities...

Gr8Circle

Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:19 pm

SomebodyInTLS wrote:
Next time you use a code, put it in CAPS...

I genuinely thought this thread was about some tropical island with excellent spotting opportunities...

Ditto.....same here.... :lol:

cschleic

Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:54 pm

Likewise.

But for a short answer to the question, there are two Boeing factories in the SEA area. 737s are assembled in Renton. There's a parking lot along Rainier Ave. S. on the south side of the airport with a view of the airport. Not sure what business is located there, though, so...have to consider that. The widebodies are assembled in Everett, about 40 minutes north. There's the viewing deck at the Future of Flight, although it's a long way from the factory.

RobK

Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:02 pm

jetsetterusa wrote:
I'm going to Seattle for the first time this weekend and I would love to go and take a look at the Boeing factory in are all that good stuff but most importantly I like to see the new American Airlines Max where is a good place that I could might see that does anyone know?

No chance of seeing of the AA Max from ground level if it's still in the position it's in now. Views from the north, west and south and blocked by buildings and your only potential views from one of the FBOs on the east side of the airport are blocked by the 787 test bed and one of the 787-10 test frames which are in the two stalls to the east side of it.

LH707330

Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:47 pm

I'll be in Renton on Saturday, PM me if you'd like to meet up.

admanager

Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:02 am

In Renton, you want to go to the park on the east side of the Cedar River. There is great public transit access, take Rapid Ride "F" bus and get off at corner of Logan and North 6th Street. Walk down 6th Street. to the river and the trail goes from one end of the airport at the Rowing Club (on the lake) to the other end of the airport. You are allowed to walk out to the Rowing Club across the taxiway where Boeing pulls the aircraft from the assembly plant to the airport
Great walk, great spotting. Be aware you're looking west, so photography is better earlier in the day. You'll also be able to walk just a couple blocks to "The Landing" where there are dozens of restaurants and shops. With any luck, from the Red Robin restaurant corner you'll see a load of 737 fuselages arriving by rail along Logan Ave. The train was there just within the last hour.
I also plan to be there Saturday at some point.

F9Animal

Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:32 am

If the MAX is at BFI, you can easily spot around the area from different areas, including the main terminal. Some FBO's offer a decent view as well. Of course the Museum Of Flight is a necessary stop. Maybe you might catch a glimpse of a MAX doing some test flying!

Paine field is a bit of a pain by the way. Of course they do offer a factory tour, which also comes recommended. They also have a very small museum from where the tour bus for the tour picks you up. Lots of cool displays and Interactive cabin mockups. They also have a cockpit section of a 727, which you can sit inside and play with all the controls. Spotting is a bit tougher at PAE. It's a massive airport, but not very spotter friendly.

Renton is probably the dullest in terms of spotting. Not much activity, besides an occasional 737 leaving. More GA aircraft activity. Not much in terms of getting any really good views of the 737's.

SEA itself is fun, but no areas really specialized for airplane nerds. You can find a park at the north end of the runway near the employee parking areas. For the South end, there are some industrial areas where you can spot from. I wish SEA would put a spotters area out there! I like LAS off of Runway 25. It would be great if SEA would do the same.

So, if action is in your books, Boeing Field and the Museum Of Flight will offer a full day of fun for sure! Have fun, and hope the weather holds up for you! Hope this helps a little!