Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

seaniez
Topic Author

Is there a 747-200 cockpit on public display in U.S.?

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:56 pm

I'm trying to develop a 747-200 addon for a flight simulator and I want to get realistic measurements and closeup photos of all the panels and use that information in 3D modelling software. I know there is a simulator center in Miami that has a 747-200 sim but it is a little too pricey for me at this time. I've also read of an ex Pan Am 747-200 being stored at OQU airport in Rhode Island but I think that it would be near impossible to get the permission to actually be able to see the aircraft up close, let alone sit in the flight deck taking measurements and photos. So the best idea out of all of these is to go to a museum or something where they have a salvaged flight deck for public display that someone can actually sit in. A really good example of this is what I believe to be a Fed Ex 727 that has the flight deck sawed off and people can sit down in it.

seaniez
Topic Author

Re: Is there a 747-200 cockpit on public display in U.S.?

Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:49 pm

ojjunior wrote:

That's perfect, how many differences are there as far as the cockpit goes between the 747-200 and 747-100? Because from what I know the only differences in the two are different fuselage lengths and different fuel systems.

ojjunior

Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:16 pm

seaniez wrote:
That's perfect, how many differences are there as far as the cockpit goes between the 747-200 and 747-100? Because from what I know the only differences in the two are different fuselage lengths and different fuel systems.

Let's keep this answer to our valuable technical backgrounded folks...

seaniez
Topic Author

Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:33 pm

ojjunior wrote:
seaniez wrote:

Let's keep this answer to our valuable technical backgrounded folks...

True

It's fine though, I forgot that I have an entire suitcase of training manuals for the 747-100/-200/-SP and there is a page that explains the differences in the cockpit between the two types. Thank you very much for the answer, it's exactly what I was looking for.

friendlyskies22

Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:44 am

There's a cockpit and FC section of a Flying Tigers 747-100 at the Hiller Museum in San Carlos, CA
(just south of SFO).
Last time I sat in there I had plenty of time to look things over and pretend I was the pilot. Nice.

TWA772LR

Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:38 am

Check the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum (main complex) in DC. They may still have the Northwest 747-100 nose (with cockpit, and open to be walked in) there.

DL_Mech

Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:33 am

Just remember that Pan Am preferred round dial engine instruments, while TWA preferred vertical tape instruments. The NWA plane above has an aftermarket engine display.

m007j

Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:30 am

I have some pictures and panoramas taken while sitting in the FO seat and just behind the pedestal of the NWA cockpit in the Air and Space Museum (these are closer than most publicly available images of that plane) if you'd like some other angles. Just let me know, because it'll take me some time to upload them here as they're on my phone. You cannot sit in the seats of this airplane as a normal visitor.