Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

GSPSPOT
Topic Author

What ORD airport hotel(s) Have the best Views of the Action?

Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:32 pm

Will be passing thru Chicago on a Labor Day weekend road trip. What hotel would afford the best views of aircraft and/or the field itself?

northstardc4m

Re: What ORD airport hotel(s) Have the best Views of the Action?

Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:08 pm

Pretty much the O'Hare Hilton is the one far and above the others... pricey but if you really want to have a view of ORD the Hilton being in the center of the terminals pretty much has your views covered.

kbmiflyer

Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:43 am

As mentioned, the Hilton O'hare is by far the best. It will cost you a little extra for the runway view rooms. It can be a good deal on weekends but is usually expensive during the week.

Assuming you don't want to shell out for the Hilton, the Holiday Inn Express at the corner of Higgins and Mannheim can offer pretty good views out both sides, the South side is much better though. The nearby Hyatt Place is actually in the landing path for the 27R but you won't see any more of the airport.

The Aloft off river road is also pretty good. It will have good views of takeoff or landing traffic on the 28C . 28R combination. Most of the other hotels along River Road will have at least some view of traffic landing on the 28's / 27's.

csturdiv

Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:58 pm

kbmiflyer wrote:
Assuming you don't want to shell out for the Hilton, the Holiday Inn Express at the corner of Higgins and Mannheim can offer pretty good views out both sides, the South side is much better though. The nearby Hyatt Place is actually in the landing path for the 27R but you won't see any more of the airport.

I stayed at the Holiday In Express last June when I was back in the US and Chicago. Do not really remember much of it as when I got there I had just flown SYD-LAX-ORD. Room was nice and it did offer a view of some of ORD and had some air traffic views from the parking lot. Unfortunately the first day I was there I was pretty much asleep, I asked the front desk to please have the house keeping respect the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door. Then the next day I was out and about, hitting Portillos, stopping by the company's' US office to see it (they moved to a nice new office as soon as they moved me to the SYD office) and seeing old friends in the area. I'm heading back to the northwest suburbs of Chicago for New Years Eve, and that hotel is on my list again of possible hotels to stay at,