DerekCZ
Topic Author

I'm working on an airline simulator...

Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:18 pm

Something like AirTycoon, except different.
I still haven't started coding, I am just making some lists and graphics, I need to know exactly what I'm aiming for before I start coding.
And that's where I need YOUR help guys. I have some questions that I would like to ask;
- Should I include never-built planes like KR-860?
- Should I include undeveloped variants like the double decker 747?
- All airports everywhere (North Korea)?
- How graphics-based should it be (text-based/full world map with routes)?
- Is actual map with routes necessary? Bcz I am lazy
- Should plane production end like IRL or based on in-game orders?
- Should planes be bought instantly, with fixed-time delay (like AirTycoon) or should there be production queues?
Etc, just say anything. I need opinions and ideas. I don't want to start the development "blind".
Also, I need to name it somehow, the current project name is... well... Airline Simulator, so I am ready for suggestions
#etopskilledquads

PanzerPowner

Re: I'm working on an airline simulator...

Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:10 am

[quote="DerekCZ"]
- How graphics-based should it be (text-based/full world map with routes)
Enough to make my GTX 1080 cry!
Says he likes Boeing and dispises Airbus but freaks out when he sees an A350, Aircraft Foaming at it's finest. :arrow: :!:

Raventech

Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:45 am

DerekCZ wrote:
I still haven't started coding, I am just making some lists and graphics, I need to know exactly what I'm aiming for before I start coding.

How much coding do you know already as that will help in determining how much detail you should go into.

DerekCZ wrote:
- Should I include never-built planes like KR-860?

I would focus on real aircraft and the sim engine first before expanding to fictional aircraft

DerekCZ wrote:
- Should I include undeveloped variants like the double decker 747?

/\ See Above /\

DerekCZ wrote:
- All airports everywhere (North Korea)?

I would only model a small part of the world as of now because you will find adding all the airports everywhere is time consuming and you shouldn't waste time coding the airports in until you know that your airport format will work

DerekCZ wrote:
- How graphics-based should it be (text-based/full world map with routes)?

it depends on your skill set, if your a master in which ever language is used then you can probably develop the engine with graphics at the same time. If not then I would develop it initially just using console text to make the engine and then start adding in graphics and a proper UI once you know you core engine is working.

DerekCZ wrote:
- Is actual map with routes necessary? Bcz I am lazy

your probably going to want to at some point, but I think just a route map is fine. probably something like GCMap etc, no need to make google earth level maps

DerekCZ wrote:
- Should plane production end like IRL or based on in-game orders?

If your going for realism then yes

DerekCZ wrote:
- Should planes be bought instantly, with fixed-time delay (like AirTycoon) or should there be production queues?

If your going for realism then yes, but then that's going to be another part of the engine so you might do instant at first and then add it in as you near completion

DerekCZ wrote:

Etc, just say anything. I need opinions and ideas. I don't want to start the development "blind".

I may be reading in between the lines so if I'm underestimating you then apologies but it seems that you might be new to developing a program of that scale, it's not going to be a simple program. I'm a hobbyist programmer (C# mainly) and have done not quite as big programs but some of similar difficulty and here is some tips I've learned.

- Map out the logic first - Don't code anything until you have written a flow chart with the methods logic charted. If you do that before doing then coding it becomes pretty trivial.
- Game Engine First - Make sure it works before working on the UI so that you don't have to redo UI components when you find a bug in the engine side
- Comparment As Much As Practical - This way then your not breaking a lot of stuff if you have to debug or re-write methods.

If your mainly a hobbyist programmer like me then the kind of program you might want to look to as an example is Airpro 7/8. It's an airline sim that is pretty simple and i have lost many hours in but does leave room for additional realism to be added

http://www.airpro-game.com/index.html

PanzerPowner wrote:
DerekCZ wrote:
- How graphics-based should it be (text-based/full world map with routes)

Enough to make my GTX 1080 cry!

Interface it with Prepar3d V4 :P

DerekCZ
Topic Author

Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:07 am

Raventech wrote:
If your mainly a hobbyist programmer like me then the kind of program you might want to look to as an example is Airpro 7/8. It's an airline sim that is pretty simple and i have lost many hours in but does leave room for additional realism to be added

http://www.airpro-game.com/index.html

Well damn, that's exactly how I imagined it :D But yes, I want to include more realism, and I developed a formula that takes distance from 2D mercator projected map and turns it into a distance that it would be on globe, so that's a start.
Also, I'm finishing OpenOffice fake-Excel document including all airplane variants, their speed, range and capacity, I will propably post it once it's finished so if someone's bored you can check if you can find mistakes in it :)

Anyhow, thanks for the feedback.

EDIT: the list right now is Boeing-only, so any hardcore Boeing fans out there who like to explain why other people are wrong are welcome here :D
#etopskilledquads

DerekCZ
Topic Author

Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:51 pm

Here it is, reply if you think I did something wrong, thanks :)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxpJDhtKa8FJU3h1d3c3MFFKZjg/view?usp=sharing
Green is for passanger aircraft, yellow for combi, convertible, and freight
#etopskilledquads

AntonioMartin

Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:03 am

I'd say I like the airports added idea.

Plus..if you could, real airlines, please. I personally hate unrealistic games.

Good luck!

DerekCZ
Topic Author

Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:50 am

AntonioMartin wrote:

Good luck!

I think that I will add two gamemodes, one will be dynamic, where the game world, airlines, and manufacturers would be shaped by the way you play (e.g.: the player orders 50 MD-12s, so McDonnel actualy starts to produce them, so other airlines can order, etc.), and then there would be a gamemode that would follow real-world timeline and it's responses to the player would be limited (but still enjoyable :))
#etopskilledquads

AntonioMartin

Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:25 am

DerekCZ wrote:
AntonioMartin wrote:

Good luck!

I think that I will add two gamemodes, one will be dynamic, where the game world, airlines, and manufacturers would be shaped by the way you play (e.g.: the player orders 50 MD-12s, so McDonnel actualy starts to produce them, so other airlines can order, etc.), and then there would be a gamemode that would follow real-world timeline and it's responses to the player would be limited (but still enjoyable :))

Very nice!