Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AntonioMartin
Topic Author

Airlines you'd like to see on Matchbox Skybusters...and why don't they produce airplanes with more real airline liveries

Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:41 pm

Hi everyone! After reading only for about 15 years, this is the first time i have been able to afford membership and thus post anything here.

This is my first post, I apologize if its been discussed before but I decided to make it about something I always felt curious about:

i grew up in the era when toy makers like Dyna Flites and Matchbox mass produced airline toy planes and sold them at Toys R us, K-Mart etc. Back then, I was a huge fan of both brands.

I believe the golden era of the Skybusters was the late 80s when they had plane models in the colors of airlines like Aer Lingus, Aeromexico, Korean Air, Pan Am, American, Iberia, Thai, etc.

This brings me to the question, me always getting disappointed when I go to stores and find Matchbox planes in the livery of "Air 90" or something like that only: if Matchbox ever gets back to making plane model toys with real airline liveries on them, which airlines would you like to see on their Skybusters series?

Also why don't Matterl produce planes with real airline liveries anymore and why don't the airlines use this method to promote their brands among the larger public?

Finally why don't we ever find the Majorette airline series in stores in the United States?

Ill give you the list of airlines I'd love seeing on future Matchbox Skybusters models:

Aeroflot
Aerolineas Argentinas
Air Austral
All Nippon Airways
Avianca
Bahamasair
Buffalo Airways
China Airlines
China Southern
DELTA-capitalizing this one since its my favorite airline and for the world of it I never understood why Delta never had a Skybuster plane model.
Dominicana
Emirates
Iraqi
JetBlue
Latam
Prinair
Southwest
TWA-American could sell Mattel license rights?
Vieques Air Link-the Puerto Rican in me would love to get some Puerto Rican airline models on Matchbox, hence wanting then old Prinair and also VAl models..
Yemenia

How about you all?

PanzerPowner

Re: Airlines you'd like to see on Matchbox Skybusters...and why don't they produce airplanes with more real airline live

Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:14 am

AirCal - American should also sell Mattel license rights.

AntonioMartin
Topic Author

Re: Airlines you'd like to see on Matchbox Skybusters...and why don't they produce airplanes with more real airline live

Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:03 am

PanzerPowner wrote:
AirCal - American should also sell Mattel license rights.

For real! And, American always had a relationship with Matchbox..and until 2007 or so with Mattel so tghey should!

flymia

Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:09 pm

It seems like all toys get more and more unrealistic. I grew up in the 90s and early 2000s. I remember when matchbox was about real cars in normal paint. An airport shuttle, a FedEx truck, USPS van, a dark green E-Class etc.. Now its just crazy paints, and don't get me started with Hot Wheels, those are not even cars anymore. I was surprised when I saw a normal looking Honda Jet in the aisle as a supermarket.

I remember buying Matchbox UA 727 an AA 777, LH A300 and Continental 777. Not sure what others there where. Maybe FedEx A300 too.

I just don't think kids care these days about real things like that. I doubt we will ever see it again.

AntonioMartin
Topic Author

Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:57 am

flymia wrote:
It seems like all toys get more and more unrealistic. I grew up in the 90s and early 2000s. I remember when matchbox was about real cars in normal paint. An airport shuttle, a FedEx truck, USPS van, a dark green E-Class etc.. Now its just crazy paints, and don't get me started with Hot Wheels, those are not even cars anymore. I was surprised when I saw a normal looking Honda Jet in the aisle as a supermarket.

I remember buying Matchbox UA 727 an AA 777, LH A300 and Continental 777. Not sure what others there where. Maybe FedEx A300 too.

I just don't think kids care these days about real things like that. I doubt we will ever see it again.

They had Pan Am 747, Iberia a300, Aeromexico DC-10, Air France Concorde...Virgin Atlantic, Aer Lingus, Cathay Pacific, British Airways, Saudia, El Al, South African, Middle East airlines Boeing 747...but this was late 80s.

From what you tell me you got them early 00's when they also had Lufthansa and Northwest 747, the British Airways 777 and DHL in every type DHL NEVER operated lol...(like DC-3?) :lol: oh and the UPS Md11 of course...

These days kids all they care is about dumb designs like the toilet car (really?) I myself am buying a Hot Wheels supermarket car tomorrow at Target so even I think a couple of these fakes are kind of cool but you are right, kids dont care about real looking toys anymore.

Oh yeah...not to forget there was a man who used to sell custom Skybusters on Ebay with different airline colors. he died of Cancer sadly. He was an African descent man from Britain, I remember seeing his Ghana Airways dc-10 and Polar Air Cargo 747 for sale but I couldnt buy it since I wasnt an ebay member. When I became a member they told me he had passed on already. Id paid a fortune had I seen one of his customs in a DELTA livery!!

Oh and the United 727 I need to find that one for my collection!!

Cadet985

Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:09 am

flymia wrote:

Matchbox, Hot Wheels, others...I still have all my toy cars, trucks, and planes....all were played with, and all still look new.

Now if you want realistic cars, you basically have NASCAR cars, or cars distributed by small makers that are easier to find online than in stores. That's how I got my local police department's car, local fire department's rescue squad, and a USCG Police car.

Anybody remember Micro Machines?

Marc

AntonioMartin
Topic Author

Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:24 am

Cadet985 wrote:
flymia wrote:

Anybody remember Micro Machines?

Marc

My brother used to collect those big time, 86-89! On a trip to get these (or dad's GIJOES, Dad was a Marine) to Kay Bee toys is that I first discovered the Skybusters!

I always thought the MM 747 was a United Airlines promo..sad to discover later on Ebay that it was only "Bad airline" or something like it...