callumconroydub
Topic Author

Best place to get REAL parts off 747/757/767/777

Sat May 13, 2017 7:34 pm

Hi,

As has been previously mentioned, I have been looking for parts off Boeing planes, such as a small but not tiny part of the fuselage or a throttle, yoke, window or nosecone.

I am living in Dublin, Ireland near the airport and my max budget would be €100 and I would be willing to pay a decent price for shipping, but not too overboard. Also, I am looking for commercial jet planes, that, preferably are scrapped, that would be easy to ship from wherever to Dublin. The states, UK, Europe would probably buy limit.

Thanks

ryan78

Re: Best place to get REAL parts off 747/757/767/777

Sat May 13, 2017 9:39 pm

There are parts out there but the good ones are hard to come across and not cheap... When an airplane is scrapped it is essentially stripped of all useful material for as much money as possible, all the metal, aluminum, copper etc is all removed. All of the avionics components and parts that can be used as spares for other airplanes are removed and re-purposed as well. Engines, nacelles, nose cones, rudders, doors etc. are usually taken off and reused to service other airplanes in the fleet.

I work with all these airplane parts every day and it is very rare for avionic components or other "repairable" parts to be scraped unless they are beyond repair. In that case it is company policy (and is usually an FAA/EASA/Transport Canada etc policy) to remove all the plates/tags showing the part number and serial number and to physically damage/destroy the unit to prevent it from finding its way back onto an aircraft. Black market aircraft parts is a big issue in some of the still developing countries and can be a huge risk to aviation. I have personally smashed a few avionic components with great joy, it's a great way to release some stress on something you know is worth more than your yearly salary! :P

For example the airline I work for went through a seat modification a few years ago and all of the old seats were stripped down, PN plates removed or scratched out, all the arm rests, seat cushions/covers, belts were taken off and put back into stock and the remaining aluminum from the chairs was cut into manageable pieces and taken to the scrap yard. The money we got from the aluminum was then used to buy all the employees pizza for lunch.

The best bet for some parts would be off an older aircraft, like the 747, many have been scrapped and there are more parts available for purchase then say the much newer 777. Ebay would be a good start, I did a quick search and found a few items although not many of them were under $100. There is some 747 yokes that were listed for $900 each and presumably an item that large and heavy would come with a hefty shipping cost. Nose cone's, forget it, they are almost always taken off as they are interchangeable, not to mention that a 737 nosecone alone is worth $125,000 and almost 6' tall. There is definitely a few cool pieces for sale but finding a section of fuselage or a throttle quadrant would be extremely pricey as the only way to get your hands on something like that would be via someone who has an inside advantage.

callumconroydub
Topic Author

Sun May 14, 2017 1:20 am

Thanks, but do any scrapyards offer to sell parts of the fuselage for a fair enough price and ship to Ireland? Preferably EI-BED.

CplKlinger

Sun May 14, 2017 9:36 pm

I think after your escapades the other day trying to go grave robbing in NYC for parts of the 9/11 planes, no one wants to answer your questions. They are more than likely fearful that you may have a hidden agenda, as they rightly should be. Perhaps you should take the silence here as something of a "clue" that no one wants to answer these questions for you.

callumconroydub
Topic Author

Sun May 14, 2017 9:52 pm

What 'hidden agenda' are you talking about? I'm asking for parts off scrapped planes, not conspiring to blow up the entire world!

EI202

Mon May 15, 2017 8:32 am

Ask around New York about whether you could get parts of the plane and see what kind of reaction you get....