Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Stropi
Topic Author

Boeing 747 lovers

Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:36 am

Hello folks ! I am a Boeing 747 lover and i am doing this new topic for all boeing 747 lovers :)))
I am a 747 lover because this plane is a big one, a nice one and a cool one !!!
If you are a 747 lover, please replay to this new topic and we can start a conversation.

quintinsoloviev

Re: Boeing 747 lovers

Mon May 01, 2017 3:55 am

The 747 is a great aircraft... but its a gas guzzler, and I believe within the next 30 years or so its gonna disappear like the DC 9, MD 80, 727, early 737s, 717, & 767-200.

Stropi
Topic Author

Mon May 01, 2017 2:55 pm

Yeah... you know that it no longer manufactured the 747-400 and i belive that is the same to a 747-8i? But i am very curious why is no longer manufactured. Maybe you know... if you know please say :)
By the way, in that video from the YouTube, you are in a plane and you did that video? :) Very nice. I appreciate your work ;)

thewizbizman

Fri May 05, 2017 4:17 pm

This may be a bit biased as I am a Boeing Guy but, I think the B747 is an amazing airplane and is the clear winner when compared to planes like the a380 and other large jumbo jets. However, it does have its downfalls, as stated above it is a gas guzzler. And Stropi I think it is no longer manufactured because no airlines are buying at the moment. But I do believe FedEx or UPS just bought 14 of them.

But I don't think they will disappear as they are great airplanes and get the job done, they just need some minor improvements.

Thanks,
Zachary
Pilot and Entrepreneur

Bostrom

Sun May 21, 2017 10:50 pm

Stropi wrote:
Yeah... you know that it no longer manufactured the 747-400 and i belive that is the same to a 747-8i? But i am very curious why is no longer manufactured. Maybe you know... if you know please say :)

The 747-8 is still manufactured, but at a rather slow rate. Boeing has only managed to sell 134 of them and 113 have been delivered so far, so there are 21 left to build. The airlines just haven't been interested in it, only Lufthansa, Korean and Air China have bought the passenger version.

jaylink

Mon May 22, 2017 4:03 pm

Yes, that was a glamorous plane when it first came out, and I've enjoyed being on it, but does it have much of a place anymore?

Today's world is about smaller capacity planes serving longer direct routes, rather than behemoths going from New York to London, say, and then people making connections.

Originally, 747 was intended for military cargo, hence the bulge on the top, but Boeing lost out to Lockheed's C5. Boeing turned lemons into lemonade by making it an innovative, wide-body passenger liner. Now it seems to be mainly useful for cargo, its originally designed purpose.

Yes, 787 was somewhat of a let-down, but it meets today's reality.

Pan Am is gone, miniskirts are gone, and the economy of long distance travel has also changed.

SalmaHareb

Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:18 am

None other than its look. it is simply unique and beautiful.. . Passengers can enjoy sitting in the nose or on the upper deck behind the pilot...which is also a loving factor. :smile:

Stropi
Topic Author

Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:18 pm

thewizbizman wrote:
This may be a bit biased as I am a Boeing Guy but, I think the B747 is an amazing airplane and is the clear winner when compared to planes like the a380 and other large jumbo jets. However, it does have its downfalls, as stated above it is a gas guzzler. And Stropi I think it is no longer manufactured because no airlines are buying at the moment. But I do believe FedEx or UPS just bought 14 of them.

But I don't think they will disappear as they are great airplanes and get the job done, they just need some minor improvements.

Thanks,
Zachary
Pilot and Entrepreneur

Yeah ... :( thy are no longer manufactured :( But they are great planes ! And you are a pilot? :) That it is sooo cool ! What planes are you piloting? :)

Stropi
Topic Author

Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:21 pm

Bostrom wrote:
Stropi wrote:

The 747-8 is still manufactured, but at a rather slow rate. Boeing has only managed to sell 134 of them and 113 have been delivered so far, so there are 21 left to build. The airlines just haven't been interested in it, only Lufthansa, Korean and Air China have bought the passenger version.

Ahh ... :( :( 747-8i it is my favorite plane. And it is a very good plane. It dosen't make sense : why a good plane is not bought by the airlines? i don't know.... And the cargo version (747-8F) i know that Cargolux bought it. Did FedEx bought a 747-8F? :)

Stropi
Topic Author

Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:24 pm

SalmaHareb wrote:
None other than its look. it is simply unique and beautiful.. . Passengers can enjoy sitting in the nose or on the upper deck behind the pilot...which is also a loving factor. :smile:

Haha :))) Yes :))) It really is a nice plane ;) :smile: :airplane: :airplane: :checkmark: :checkeredflag:

Stropi
Topic Author

Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:28 pm

jaylink wrote:
Yes, that was a glamorous plane when it first came out, and I've enjoyed being on it, but does it have much of a place anymore?

Today's world is about smaller capacity planes serving longer direct routes, rather than behemoths going from New York to London, say, and then people making connections.

Originally, 747 was intended for military cargo, hence the bulge on the top, but Boeing lost out to Lockheed's C5. Boeing turned lemons into lemonade by making it an innovative, wide-body passenger liner. Now it seems to be mainly useful for cargo, its originally designed purpose.

Pan Am is gone, miniskirts are gone, and the economy of long distance travel has also changed.

Yes :) 787 it is a very good plane too. And the new 737 MAX it is very good. I actually like almost all boeing aircrafts. I like 737, 747, 767, 777, 787. But 747-8i my favorite ;) And i didn't know about that ... ("Originally, 747 was intended for military cargo") but know i know and thanks for all your information :) i love to learn about Boeing 747 :).

Stropi
Topic Author

Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:29 pm

jaylink wrote:

Yes :) 787 it is a very good plane too. And the new 737 MAX it is very good. I actually like almost all boeing aircrafts. I like 737, 747, 767, 777, 787. But 747-8i my favorite ;) And i didn't know about that ... ("Originally, 747 was intended for military cargo") but know i know and thanks for all your information :) i love to learn about Boeing 747 :).

Bostrom

Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:47 pm

Stropi wrote:
Bostrom wrote:
Stropi wrote:

Ahh ... :( :( 747-8i it is my favorite plane. And it is a very good plane. It dosen't make sense : why a good plane is not bought by the airlines? i don't know.... And the cargo version (747-8F) i know that Cargolux bought it. Did FedEx bought a 747-8F? :)

Because there are other planes that fits their route better, it actually makes a lot more sense. When the 747-400 was introduced, there wasn't a lot of competition. The 2nd largest Boeing was the 767 and Airbus had nothing bigger than the A300. So the closest competition was the MD11 that still was a bit smaller.

Since then, ETOPS has made it possible to use twins on long routes and while the 777 and A350 carries a bit less passengers than a 747, they use a lot less fuel. And airlines that needed a lot of capacity have already bought the A380. So when the 747-8i was launched, the market was a lot smaller.

thewizbizman

Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:48 pm

Bostrom wrote:
Stropi wrote:
Bostrom wrote:

Because there are other planes that fits their route better, it actually makes a lot more sense. When the 747-400 was introduced, there wasn't a lot of competition. The 2nd largest Boeing was the 767 and Airbus had nothing bigger than the A300. So the closest competition was the MD11 that still was a bit smaller.

Since then, ETOPS has made it possible to use twins on long routes and while the 777 and A350 carries a bit less passengers than a 747, they use a lot less fuel. And airlines that needed a lot of capacity have already bought the A380. So when the 747-8i was launched, the market was a lot smaller.

Yeah, competition (a380, 777, a340, a330, 787) is one of the things that killed the 747. The airlines don't need a huge 650 passenger plane for most of the routes they are flying. Putting multiple 777's on the route than 1 747. Also ETOPS was arguably the biggest blade involved in killing the 747 with passenger airlines. Note how the US airlines (Delta, United) are getting rid of their 747s but other countries airlines are not. The US just does not have a demand for that hence why no US carriers have bought a380s.

Bostrom

Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:53 pm

thewizbizman wrote:
Yeah, competition (a380, 777, a340, a330, 787) is one of the things that killed the 747. The airlines don't need a huge 650 passenger plane for most of the routes they are flying. Putting multiple 777's on the route than 1 747. Also ETOPS was arguably the biggest blade involved in killing the 747 with passenger airlines. Note how the US airlines (Delta, United) are getting rid of their 747s but other countries airlines are not. The US just does not have a demand for that hence why no US carriers have bought a380s.

Many non US airlines are phasing out the 747 as well. Air New Zealand retired their last 747 in 2014, JAL has no 747s left in their fleet and KLM and Thai is currently in the process of phasing out the 747.

thewizbizman

Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:07 pm

Bostrom wrote:
thewizbizman wrote:

Many non US airlines are phasing out the 747 as well. Air New Zealand retired their last 747 in 2014, JAL has no 747s left in their fleet and KLM and Thai is currently in the process of phasing out the 747.

Boeing really just started competing with themselves with the 767, 777, 787 and again ETOPS assisted in killing the 747. The airlines just chose the smaller planes that could go the same distance. They are more cost efficient, they were not filling the seats with the 747. Also, some of those airlines 747 routes that DID have a market got killed by other airlines a380's and they had to back out. Hopefully, a market for them reopens.