Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

vanman9599
Topic Author

First airplane purchase, new pilot.

Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:37 pm

If you were a beginner pilot and you had the means to buy any airplane, what would you buy? Any options other than a single engine piston aircraft? How about a single engine turboprop?

trijetsonly

Re: First airplane purchase, new pilot.

Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:59 am

I'd go for a SR22T. You can do almost everything with it.

beaconinbound

Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:07 pm

It all depends as even small aircraft are very specific. For example, the SR22T can do much, but it needs looooots of runway and it is very heavy. The SR22 (non-turbo) is in my view much more versatile and only a tad slower. Even the SR-20 has its role.

Start to ask: What are my flying skills and what do I want to achieve? What range do I need. What runways are of interest?

For low time beginners the best standard allrounder are the true classics like the Piper PA-28 or the Cessna 172 and 182. They are doing everything and are very safe to operate. Want something more? Look at the Bonanza. A time proven aircraft with an amazing wing being like a swiss army knife in aviation - for centuries.

Can you energy-manage your descent and final to the point? Than a Mooney of some flavour can be your plane.

Turboprop, what Turboprop? Even with a PC-6 you are entering another world of flying - which is mostly about complex aircraft (new rating) and IFR. Than yes, the PC-12 and TBM are great workers. Don't go for the little Turbopro hotrods or small twins. Just beleive me.

Have fun choosing your first craft. I've had mine!

VSMUT

Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:22 pm

beaconinbound wrote:
Don't go for the little Turbopro hotrods or small twins. Just beleive me.

What's a little turboprop hotrod? And why should they be avoided?

beaconinbound

Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:30 pm

I have no idea what you mean by "New Pilot". If you are a new ATP or a new CPL/IR or new VFR pilot does make a huge difference.

So, any flying time less than 1000 hours poses a huge challenge for operating fast aircraft like the Lanceair Propjet ("hotrod") or even a Malibu Mirage. But that also all depends, really. If you fly them only in good weather from 4000 ft runways, than, well, things might go well. On the other hand, intense use under varying conditions increases the workload by multiple times. And you can't fly ahead of your aircraft, if its too fast for you.

Same with twins (i.e. Seminole etc.). We have a joke here in Germany nailing it: What does a pilot of a light twin do, when one of the engines quit? Answer: He flies directly to the crash scene.

Have fun,

Stefan

FlyHossD

Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:37 am

Once you think you know what you want, do these three key suggestions:
1. Check with your insurance company BEFORE you buy.
2. Check with your insurance company BEFORE you buy.
3. Check with your insurance company BEFORE you buy.

Himanshu747

Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:28 am

As a beginner pilot one should look into becoming proficient with flying skills. In case your basic purpose is to learn flying than C172 is the best option. Other options depend on the money you can spend.