Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

kiffy
Editor
Topic Author

Gear-Down In Flight

Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:38 pm

This happened over a year ago (6/11/2010) but always interested me…
I was spotting aircraft from my yard when I noticed this Southwest Airlines 737-300 with its gear down. It was Flight 356 at 8,000ft and around 300mph. This photo was taken when the flight was still about 35 miles from PHL. So my question is why is the gear down so early?

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6023/6014732660_a556aae0f6_b.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6143/6014184675_b16e0d8e8b_b.jpg

*Also note that this is a very unusual flight path into PHL. (Sorry for the quality of the photo)
Thanks in advance
-Chris Gimmillaro

[Edited 2011-08-06 07:40:46]

crazyfoo88

RE: Gear-Down In Flight

Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:41 pm

Only real thing I can think of is they were trying to slow down as quick as possible, but even then it is strange.

NASBWI

Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:41 pm

The only thing I can think of is that it may have had a landing gear problem that they wanted to sort out (might also explain the flight path). Also, consider that the flaps aren't extended. So for $100, I'll go with troubleshooting  wink .

[Edited 2011-08-06 07:43:29]

ThePinnacleKid

Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:52 pm

While, I can't speak to the pic or why they were doing it... (I wasn't there)... it doesn't always mean there is a problem when the gear is down that early...

I've lowered the gear 60 miles out before to burn more gas and get below MLW...

Sometimes (especially on short runs) you find yourself with a heavy load and for unforeseen reasons the taxi is shorter than planned, the weather is better than expected, the enroute flight time is shorter than planned thanks to "short-cuts" and the next thing you know.. you're projected to be overweight for landing... Easiest way to burn a little extra is to add a little extra drag... initial flap settings don't add much drag and the latter highly restrict operating speed... so..easiest fix... lower the gear... Higher drag than flaps AND allows you to maintain speed for ATC... a win-win.

Ty134A

Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:12 pm

On some Russian Jets this is quite common, the tu-134 has no airbrakes, and therefore lowers the gear sometimes even at cruising alt. On the il-86 I witnessed it once, from flightlevel 320 on to the final landing. This is not standard procedure on the acft, on the tu3 I think it is.

Grid

Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:15 pm

I was on flight where this the gear was lowered because the brakes were too hot - or at least a sensor reported that much. I think we had to descend a few thousand feet first, maybe from 38,000 to 34,000 first.

JBirdAV8r

Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:23 pm

Quoting ThePinnacleKid (Reply 4):
Sometimes (especially on short runs) you find yourself with a heavy load and for unforeseen reasons the taxi is shorter than planned, the weather is better than expected, the enroute flight time is shorter than planned thanks to "short-cuts" and the next thing you know.. you're projected to be overweight for landing... Easiest way to burn a little extra is to add a little extra drag... initial flap settings don't add much drag and the latter highly restrict operating speed... so..easiest fix... lower the gear... Higher drag than flaps AND allows you to maintain speed for ATC... a win-win.

Bingo!   

HAWK21M

Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:15 am

Considering the route taken it looks like a case of wanting to burn some fuel before landing.......

kiffy
Editor
Topic Author

Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:52 am

Thanks everyone for the responses, I'm now sure it was to get below MLW, i also received a very in-depth email from OPNLguy about this. Thanks again everyone!   

Jackbr

Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:34 am

This might be a silly question so please forgive me, but when flying into airports they are unfamiliar with, or lacking in airport equipment etc, do aircraft sometimes end up configured for landing further out than they would normally?

I only ask because on the 2 occassions I've flown into BNK on Virgin 73Hs the gear has been down and flaps at landing setting further out from the airport than they would normally, and the same can be said when I arrived at AYQ on a Qantas 73H - the aircraft must have made 2 or 3 rather large course changes to line up with the runway with the gear and flaps all down. When you land at other airports in Australia eg SYD, MEL, BNE, ADL - I always hear the gear retracting much closer to landing.

I know the Pan Am 707 that crashed in Bali a long way out from the airport had the gear down, but then again that aircraft crashed, so there were obviously problems on the flight deck that evening.

crjfixer

Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:17 am

With many aircraft you can MEL the langing gear retraction system and fly gear down the whole way. Its not preferred and doesnt happen too often due to the preformance penalties though. Usually just to get the a/c back to a base for repair.

HAWK21M

Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:43 pm

Quoting crjfixer (Reply 10):
With many aircraft you can MEL the langing gear retraction system and fly gear down the whole way. Its not preferred and doesnt happen too often due to the preformance penalties though. Usually just to get the a/c back to a base for repair.

True a non revenue flight,with regulatory permission.