Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

tim
Topic Author

Acars & VHF Simultaneous Use

Wed Jun 14, 2000 6:57 pm

Hi all
As a regular ACARS user I have one small problem which is only having one connection from my external antenna. My antenna is an excelant DSE model perched on a 15foot Mast (Where my old Galaxy TV microwave used to be). It gives excelant results for ACARS and VHF. The problem is: I want to be able to use this antenna for both ACARS and VHF at the same time. Somehow I need to split the signal and make 2 BNC connectors coming out of it. So that I can listen to VHF and decode ACARS at the same time with my 2 scanners.

Anyone had this experience? Will I need to amplify the signal?
Any cost estimates?

Thanks

Tim Chamberlain
Perth, WA

aaron atp

Receivers

Thu Jun 15, 2000 1:35 am

as long as you are using two recievers and no transmitter, all you need to do is pick up a splitter from radio shack. I've had two marine VHF recievers on a Davis 57 connected through an dongle I picked up from either BoatUS or West Marine (we used 3 radios, two antenna), which would put a dummy load on the second transmitter if both were keyed simultaneously, but you shouldn't need that if you are only using receivers.

Just ensure that both are properly grounded, as well as the antenna (important for other reasons also). For your setup, properly grounding the antenna will most likely ground the shielding of the coaxial cable. If there is interference between the recievers when both are powered on, you'll need to double check the grounging system to ensure that a ground loop does not exist and everything is grounded properly

You could buy it from Radio Shack ($3.99 Cat.#: 278-112), or make one yourself. Any computer store would also carry it, because each 10BaseT networking card uses such a BNC T. You may need a female-female-female instead of a female-male-female adapter, but it will depend on your current situation.

aaron

I admit that I've only used the isolater to connect two things to one antenna, but this should work for you. I'll to the isolater but it doesn't come in BNC connectors, it's over $40, and you'd also have to buy adapters. Look a both WM#491704 and WM#247413. These are VHF/AM/FM splitters, not VHF/VHF splitters like I mentioned at the top, I couldn't find it.

tim
Topic Author

RE: Acars & VHF Simultaneous Use

Thu Jun 15, 2000 4:22 pm

ok

thanks a lot for that!

cheers