Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

wernerga3
Topic Author

How did O2 work on early 747 upper decks

Wed May 08, 2019 1:46 pm

I have been researching like crazy for my next project. One of the things I am curious about is how the emergency o2 system worked on the upper deck lounges of early 747s. They all seem to feature the same ceiling design, but no information about it.

It appears there are O2 hookup valves above each seating area in the lounges, and I think there is even a warning label on the wall- but I cannot make them out. I imagine there were no masks that dropped from the ceiling, so how did it work? Did you have to manually hook up the O2 for each person? Any insight?

global2

Re: How did O2 work on early 747 upper decks

Wed May 08, 2019 1:59 pm

I have no technical knowledge of this whatsoever but I have to believe there were masks, it would be too confusing in an emergency for some sort of manual system to be hooked up. I am going to guess that what you see in the recessed area of the panel are the typical PSU items like gaspers (vents), flight attendant call button, and reading light switches.. I would also guess the oxygen masks are behind the upper half of the panel.

wernerga3
Topic Author

Wed May 08, 2019 2:17 pm

global2 wrote:
I have no technical knowledge of this whatsoever but I have to believe there were masks, it would be too confusing in an emergency for some sort of manual system to be hooked up. I am going to guess that what you see in the recessed area of the panel are the typical PSU items like gaspers (vents), flight attendant call button, and reading light switches.. I would also guess the oxygen masks are behind the upper half of the panel.

The lights and vents were in the center of the original lounges:

Later when the 200/300 started introducing upper deck seating, they added O2 masks with visible doors in the ceiling.

I know some people have said the lounges were strict about occupancy, and I wonder if it was related to the emergency o2 procedures.

wernerga3
Topic Author

Wed May 08, 2019 2:45 pm

I might add that if you look closely at the two pictures, the first one (United) has a placard mounted on the ceiling (that I can't make out), and the second one (SAS) is missing the placard. I noticed that when I was researching, the intl airlines did not have the placard, but the US airlines did.. What does it say??

fr8mech

Wed May 08, 2019 5:36 pm

There are masks. If you look closely at the PSU in the first picture, you’ll see a faint outline of a door. There were 3(?) masks behind the door. The little hole you see, allowed maintenance to access the masks.

wernerga3
Topic Author

Wed May 08, 2019 5:51 pm

fr8mech wrote:
There are masks. If you look closely at the PSU in the first picture, you’ll see a faint outline of a door. There were 3(?) masks behind the door. The little hole you see, allowed maintenance to access the masks.

You're talking about this hole?- There is one of them on either side of the deck

If there were 16 seats on the upper deck (most configs), where were the rest of the masks? Even if there were 4 on either side, that is only half of the occupants.

Waterbomber2

Wed May 08, 2019 6:06 pm

Not he's talking about the rectangular white plastic units next to the thing you indicated. They are located above each seat. If you look closely, there is a small hole on those plastic covers, they contain a manual unlock mechanism for maintenance access and for FA's to unlock the cover if it fails to open and deploy the masks. When you open that cover, there is a box inside containing the masks.
Last edited by Waterbomber2 on Wed May 08, 2019 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fr8mech

Wed May 08, 2019 6:09 pm

Look at the PSU in the upper-right corner of the image. There’s what appears to be a quarter inch or so hole. That’s where a mechanic would insert a tool...a swizzle stick worked just fine...to open the door and access the masks.

Looking at it a little closer, there is another hole, looks like a dimple, just above the first hole. That may be the tool access. Been over 30 years since I had to open one of those, but I assure you, there are masks in those PSU’s.

As I recall, there were also masks that deployed from the centerline ceiling, but that’s a little fuzzy.

I’m not sure what’s under the panel you’re highlighting, but it does not look like mask stowage to me.

Waterbomber2

Wed May 08, 2019 6:15 pm

fr8mech wrote:
Look at the PSU in the upper-right corner of the image. There’s what appears to be a quarter inch or so hole. That’s where a mechanic would insert a tool...a swizzle stick worked just fine...to open the door and access the masks.

Looking at it a little closer, there is another hole, looks like a dimple, just above the first hole. That may be the tool access. Been over 30 years since I had to open one of those, but I assure you, there are masks in those PSU’s.

As I recall, there were also masks that deployed from the centerline ceiling, but that’s a little fuzzy.

I’m not sure what’s under the panel you’re highlighting, but it does not look like mask stowage to me.

I'm not sure either but it looks a lot like a blow out panel.

wernerga3
Topic Author

Wed May 08, 2019 6:22 pm

Thanks guys- NOW I see it! And it makes sense that there would be 3 in each one, because with 6 boxes (3 on either side), that would make 18 masks- 16 passengers and 2 FAs.

wernerga3
Topic Author

Wed May 08, 2019 6:23 pm

Waterbomber2 wrote:
fr8mech wrote:

I'm not sure either but it looks a lot like a blow out panel.

What's a blow out panel?

global2

Wed May 08, 2019 7:39 pm

wernerga3 wrote:
global2 wrote:

Later when the 200/300 started introducing upper deck seating, they added O2 masks with visible doors in the ceiling.

I know some people have said the lounges were strict about occupancy, and I wonder if it was related to the emergency o2 procedures.

In the photo in this link you can see that were were lights in these side indentations as well.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1330& ... WTJnKffG1M:

fr8mech

Wed May 08, 2019 8:24 pm

wernerga3 wrote:
What's a blow out panel?

In this case, it’s a section of the wall panel that is designed to fail in case the area behind it gets pressurized due to some kind of duct leak. It a) provides a visual indication of failure, and b) minimizes the risk of further damage behind the panel.

That said, I’m not sure this is a blow-out panel because it would blow-out into the cabin. My suspicion is that it’s a simple cover used for configuration changes. Pull the cover and add a PSU for additional seating. Just a guess, but it’s the right size and shape.

DL_Mech

Wed May 08, 2019 10:09 pm

Here is a good thread explaining blow out panels/doors for those interested (start at post #10):

https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=765653

wernerga3
Topic Author

Wed May 08, 2019 10:54 pm

fr8mech wrote:
wernerga3 wrote:
What's a blow out panel?

In this case, it’s a section of the wall panel that is designed to fail in case the area behind it gets pressurized due to some kind of duct leak. It a) provides a visual indication of failure, and b) minimizes the risk of further damage behind the panel.

That said, I’m not sure this is a blow-out panel because it would blow-out into the cabin. My suspicion is that it’s a simple cover used for configuration changes. Pull the cover and add a PSU for additional seating. Just a guess, but it’s the right size and shape.

Yeah I think its a dead panel for adding additional lights/masks. Look on the other side of the United (200) deck and see there is an additional one where the dead panel is on the opposite wall. These are United promo photos from when they introduced the new upper deck lounge design on their new 200.

The original United 100 upper deck lounge was the relatively barren "red carpet room" with 8 swivel chairs

Max Q

Thu May 09, 2019 1:55 am

wernerga3 wrote:
global2 wrote:

I think it had more to do with the number of
emergency exits

wernerga3
Topic Author

Thu May 09, 2019 1:34 pm

Max Q wrote:
wernerga3 wrote:
global2 wrote:

emergency exits

Interesting- In all the safety cards, it says to go downstairs if possible to exit. Only to use the upper deck door if you cannot get downstairs.

http://wahsonline.com/category/safety-cards/

Max Q

Thu May 09, 2019 7:50 pm

wernerga3 wrote:
Max Q wrote:
wernerga3 wrote:

emergency exits

Interesting- In all the safety cards, it says to go downstairs if possible to exit. Only to use the upper deck door if you cannot get downstairs.

That link is a gem, great stuff

I’d definitely choose to go downstairs If
possible in an evacuation if I was on the 747 upper deck

It’s a five story drop down that slide, best avoided

wernerga3
Topic Author

Thu May 09, 2019 8:15 pm

Max Q wrote:
wernerga3 wrote:
Max Q wrote:

emergency exits

Yeah one of the early PAA 747 accidents (SFO 72) when they set the take off parameters wrong, clipped the lights, and had to come back to land without hydraulics- many people were very hurt coming out of the upper deck exit- The plane fell back on the rear of the fuselage, so the drop was even steeper! The wind didn't help at all.

Max Q

Fri May 10, 2019 9:27 am

wernerga3 wrote:
Max Q wrote:
wernerga3 wrote:

Yeah one of the early PAA 747 accidents (SFO 72) when they set the take off parameters wrong, clipped the lights, and had to come back to land without hydraulics- many people were very hurt coming out of the upper deck exit- The plane fell back on the rear of the fuselage, so the drop was even steeper! The wind didn't help at all.

That’s right, interesting accident that

If not for the incredible redundancy built
into the 747 it would have been disastrous

As it was they were down to one remaining hydraulic system when they returned for
landing

This made aircraft control quite challenging, furthermore they were not
able to lower the main body gear

They landed on the wing gear only and, without the support of the body gear after stopping it slowly sat on to its tail

The whole landing is on video, quite a sight

fr8mech

Fri May 10, 2019 9:50 am

Max Q wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl_wXfSwRzM

wernerga3
Topic Author

Fri May 10, 2019 2:04 pm

fr8mech wrote:
Max Q wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl_wXfSwRzM

Here is a different video which is much clearer and has multiple angles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lAhryBHxvM

AirKevin

Fri May 10, 2019 4:24 pm

wernerga3 wrote:

Steep is a bit of an understatement. Looking at the picture, that looks more like a straight drop altogether.

Max Q

Fri May 10, 2019 7:30 pm

Thanks for the links, that 747 was repaired at the Pan Am hangar in SFO and placed back in service

wernerga3
Topic Author

Fri May 10, 2019 9:20 pm

Max Q wrote:
Thanks for the links, that 747 was repaired at the Pan Am hangar in SFO and placed back in service

Indeed it was. It took about 36 hours to get the plane off the runway and into the Superbay which at that time was 100% occupied by American Airlines. There was a lot of damage, it took months to repair. Both body gears were knocked off the airplane, the horizontal stabilizer had huge gashes in the leading edge all the way through the spars. An iron "L" beam off the approach lights had come up through the cargo pit and cabin floor and stabbed right through several seat backs in the "D" cabin center rows. Luckily no one was sitting there.

Here are the pics when it went into the hangar:

Max Q

Sat May 11, 2019 1:13 am

wernerga3 wrote:
Max Q wrote:

Indeed it was. It took about 36 hours to get the plane off the runway and into the Superbay which at that time was 100% occupied by American Airlines. There was a lot of damage, it took months to repair. Both body gears were knocked off the airplane, the horizontal stabilizer had huge gashes in the leading edge all the way through the spars. An iron "L" beam off the approach lights had come up through the cargo pit and cabin floor and stabbed right through several seat backs in the "D" cabin center rows. Luckily no one was sitting there.

Here are the pics when it went into the hangar:

Thanks for that excellent video and picture,
Some of them failed to post for some reason

millionsofmiles

Sun May 12, 2019 2:13 am

wernerga3 wrote:
fr8mech wrote:
wernerga3 wrote:
What's a blow out panel?

Yeah I think its a dead panel for adding additional lights/masks. Look on the other side of the United (200) deck and see there is an additional one where the dead panel is on the opposite wall. These are United promo photos from when they introduced the new upper deck lounge design on their new 200.

The original United 100 upper deck lounge was the relatively barren "red carpet room" with 8 swivel chairs

United did not receive 747-200s until the late 80s when they purchased two -222s specifically for JFK-NRT.

As explained in my response to your Pan Am post, United was one of the original 747-100 customers who had their -122s retrofitted with the internally extended upper deck and the full set of 10 windows on each side. The “-200” you refer to is a -100. By the time United purchased the -200 from Boeing, there was revenue seating upstairs.

wernerga3
Topic Author

Sun May 12, 2019 10:53 pm

millionsofmiles wrote:
wernerga3 wrote:
fr8mech wrote:

United did not receive 747-200s until the late 80s when they purchased two -222s specifically for JFK-NRT.

As explained in my response to your Pan Am post, United was one of the original 747-100 customers who had their -122s retrofitted with the internally extended upper deck and the full set of 10 windows on each side. The “-200” you refer to is a -100. By the time United purchased the -200 from Boeing, there was revenue seating upstairs.

thanks for the info. cool that they had the retrofitted upper deck.