blackbird224
Topic Author

Private pilot training and pilot uniforms

Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:14 am

Hello everyone. Lately, I've been thinking about private pilots and how sometimes I see them at their flight academy wearing a uniform with one stripe boards as seen in this photo. EVA Air has a Flight Training Academy at Mather Air Force Base in Rancho Cordova, California, and every time I see their cadets in training, they're wearing one stripe uniforms. Recently, I was at Norcal Flight Center, a flight school at Lincoln Regional Airport in California, and I was talking to an instructor about this. He told me that it's in a private pilots best interest not to wear a uniform like so, because they haven't, in a way, "earned" the stripe, and it's also a disrespect to airline pilots who have truly worked to earn theirs. He also told me that if a private pilot or cadet walks out on the ramp to the Cessna 172, wearing a full uniform with four stripes on their shoulder, that they'll be met with nothing but laughs from other people. That, I can understand. When he told me that, all I could think is "Yeah, private pilots should never wear four stripes like they're an airline captain if they haven't truly earned it". For wearing three or four stripes, I can understand. However, if one stripe signifies the title Private Pilot or Cadet, wouldn't it then be okay to wear that? Just my personal opinion, I think wearing one stripe is fine if you're in training, and is also a confidence booster to train even more to become a competent pilot. If you're a cadet wearing four stripes you haven't necessarily earned, then that's a disrespect. However, I would like to hear your opinion on this as well.

CARST

Re: Private pilot training and pilot uniforms

Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:25 am

Personally I find your post and what the people told you makes no sense at all. There are no rules for this. There are a lot of little prop planes in operation used as shuttle aircraft in remote areas or for sightseeing tours. The operators often demand their pilots to wear a full uniform. If the pilot would wear his private clothes, you would think it's just a few people hopping on a private 100 dollar burger flight. With that I want to tell you, that you can't say for sure that someone is a private pilot.

blackbird224 wrote:
He also told me that if a private pilot or cadet walks out on the ramp to the Cessna 172, wearing a full uniform with four stripes on their shoulder, that they'll be met with nothing but laughs from other people. That, I can understand.

How can you determine that it's not a 747 captain communting to work with his private Cessna to board his 747 at the destination airport/town?

The whole post just makes too many assumptions and tries to impose rules that do not exist. Live and let live. And a Joe Doe going for a 100 Dollar Burger wants to wear a pilot uniform, let him do it. So what..

Dalmd88

Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:12 am

They are flight academy cadets. Most likely they are required to wear a uniform. It's just like Air Force pilots wearing flight suits and gloves to begin training in a 172.

VSMUT

Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:10 pm

What is it with respect and disrespect in the US? Disrespecting anybody by wearing a uniform? Never heard such nonsense anywhere else.

Anyway, it is some obscure EASA rule that all integrated students must wear uniform, so that explains Europeans. Im guessing that airline sponsored trainees from Asia are under similar, corporate demanded, rules, so not something the individual can decide. If the airline pays for the training, they can come up with all the rules they want. They already represent the airline.

I personally had to wear a uniform too. It was a bit over the top (a simple polo would have been more practical when working on a dirty/oily engine), but at least I got proficient in tying a tie and ironing a shirt before my first job interview. Wouldn't surprise me if that was part of the reason for the Asian pilots too.

zeke

Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:31 pm

CARST wrote:

How can you determine that it's not a 747 captain communting to work with his private Cessna to board his 747 at the destination airport/town?

If a 747 captain was found to be flying immediately prior to a flight, it would not be a great career move if they later had an incident.

Where I work they will show you the door if you commute and not have the same pre-flight rest as if it was a rostered duty. For example if the airline cannot position a captain as a passenger immediately prior to a flight, you should not be doing that in your own time either as a passenger or flying a private aircraft.

You could get away with it 10-20 years ago, these days there is CCTV and electronic breadcrumbs following your every move.

Dalmd88 wrote:
They are flight academy cadets. Most likely they are required to wear a uniform. It's just like Air Force pilots wearing flight suits and gloves to begin training in a 172.

Exactly corporate dress standard, we supply the uniforms to our cadets. It is expected they wear them for all ground school and flying duties.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

Starlionblue

Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:13 pm

Bottom line: Who gives a crap what people outside your organisation think? I learned to fly wearing a t-shirt and shorts. When I did the school inducting to my airline I was required to wear a pilot shirt and dark blue trousers. School epaulettes with no stripes optional. There are airlines around the world with two and one stripe ranks.

Be proud of what you do. Don't worry about what other people think if they don't understand your internal rank structure.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:52 pm

If a 747 captain was found to be flying immediately prior to a flight, it would not be a great career move if they later had an incident.

Where I work they will show you the door if you commute and not have the same pre-flight rest as if it was a rostered duty. For example if the airline cannot position a captain as a passenger immediately prior to a flight, you should not be doing that in your own time either as a passenger or flying a private aircraft.

US airline pilots commute, on airlines or in their private plane, prior to work all the time, probably 50% do no5 live in base. Their are whole sections of contracts debiting to commuting rules. Well worn standard is time prior to work is not under the company control or subject to crew rest rules. I don’t agree with that, but true here.

GF

Max Q

Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:09 am

In an airline sponsored ab initio
program I can see the logic in having the cadets / students wear a uniform, in such an environment it’s probably a morale booster and good for camaraderie by feeling like you’re part of something bigger than you

If a private pilot wants to wear four stripes, fine, they’re not going to be taken seriously, otoh John Travolta used to dress up in a Qantas Captains uniform

Another good reason to wear a uniform and four stripes for any GA
pilot is operating south of the border and / or undeveloped countries, local officials are likely to be more cooperative!
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

spacecadet

Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:25 am

I'm in a flight training program. We're required to wear the uniform of the academy. You're issued stripes for different milestones, and if you're wearing that uniform, you're required to wear the stripes so that others at the academy know where you are in the program and your level of experience - just like at an airline.

We can also wear what amounts to an "alternate" uniform provided to us by our associated airline. These may or may not have stripes, depending on the airline. (As in "real life", some airlines are more casual than others when it comes to cadet uniforms.) Believe it or not, most airline-provided cadet uniforms do have stripes.

Stripes only matter within whatever organization you're in. Nobody at the academy cares what "other people" think. Anyway, most airline pilots have gone through the same types of programs so nobody's "laughing" at cadets wearing stripes. They did the same thing when they were cadets, and they know why we wear them.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

VSMUT

Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:22 am

Max Q wrote:
Another good reason to wear a uniform and four stripes for any GA
pilot is operating south of the border and / or undeveloped countries, local officials are likely to be more cooperative!

This ^ Works like a charm in some places. They will literally bend over into the dust to serve a pilot in full uniform in some places.