blacksoviet
Topic Author

Why did Boeing scrap the first 767?

Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:09 am

Why wasn't this plane moved to their museum?

aeropix

Re: Why did Boeing scrap the first 767?

Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:18 am

Nostalgia doesn’t pay the bills, I’m afraid. That’s the modern corporate way.

aeromoe

Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:06 pm

aeropix wrote:

Really not a valid explanation given the Boeing airframes that ARE preserved at the Museum of Flight. Given Boeing's bottom line, I would imagine hanging on to the first 767 for posterity wouldn't necessarily prevent Boeing from paying any bills. Just my 2 cents.
AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR BY B6 CO CZ DG DL EA EI EN FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(1) OZ(2) PA PI PT QF QQ RM RO RV(1) RV(2) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(2) ZZ 9K

TheFlyingDisk

Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:23 am

aeromoe wrote:
aeropix wrote:

Really not a valid explanation given the Boeing airframes that ARE preserved at the Museum of Flight. Given Boeing's bottom line, I would imagine hanging on to the first 767 for posterity wouldn't necessarily prevent Boeing from paying any bills. Just my 2 cents.

A lot of the first airframes come from airlines - for example the first 777 came from CX, the first 727 came from United, the first 737 came from NASA. The only first plane that comes from Boeing is the 747, the Dash 80 & the 787.

Also, the 767 isn't a significant a plane compared to the others. No museum feel it's important to have a 767, just like there are no DC-10, DC-9, DC-8, MD-11 etc.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

Stitch

Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:51 am

The 767-200 prototype became the basis for the US Army's Airborne Optical Adjunct (AOA) platform. So if this is the frame we are discussing, then it might be that the US Army / US Government wanted it scrapped when the program was cancelled.

gunsontheroof

Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:20 am

Stitch wrote:
The 767-200 prototype became the basis for the US Army's Airborne Optical Adjunct (AOA) platform. So if this is the frame we are discussing, then it might be that the US Army / US Government wanted it scrapped when the program was cancelled.

This is entirely possible, I'd be curious if anyone here can attest to that being the case. I remember seeing that plane at BFI all the time when I was a kid and it definitely had a lot going on in terms of modifications...I don't think I ever saw it prior to the AOA outfitting, but then, I would have been very young at that point. Now that I think about it, I have to wonder if the first 757 will meet the same fate after years of military testing as the "Catfish."
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.