bhill
Topic Author

Crew lodging...

Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:30 pm

UA 1508 was an hour last pushing back from the gate at SeaTac this morning. Seems the flight crew spent the night in the City of Seattle and had trouble getting to the airport. Now, everyone KNEW we were going to get snow..it was in the news last week. Why are not crew lodged NEAR airports they are flying out of? I cannot image rooms in the City are cheaper than something closer to the airport...
Carpe Pices

dcajet

Re: Crew lodging...

Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:36 pm

Because airlines have set contracts with hotels to lodge their crews at preferential, contracted rates. Why would UA authorize spending money on another hotel, where they don't have a preferential rate, on top of the no show fee the airline will be charged at their contracted hotel? And all for one hour delay that most likely can be made up once in the air.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

AirlineCritic

Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:37 pm

Well, I'm guessing that at the time they booked it was cheaper/better/more preferred. A lot of crews like city rather than a forgotten airport suburb with no services.

dcajet

Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:55 pm

AirlineCritic wrote:
Well, I'm guessing that at the time they booked it was cheaper/better/more preferred. A lot of crews like city rather than a forgotten airport suburb with no services.

Unless it is for an overnight stay (in late/out early) oftentimes unions will request that lodging has to be in the city, not at the airport, at least for airlines in the Europe, the US, etc.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

FlyHossD

Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:15 pm

dcajet wrote:
AirlineCritic wrote:

Unless it is for an overnight stay (in late/out early) oftentimes unions will request that lodging has to be in the city, not at the airport, at least for airlines in the Europe, the US, etc.

Some airlines have clauses within their pilot of flight attendant contracts that require downtown layovers based on the length of the layover. For example, if the layover is scheduled to be more than 16 hours, then the layover hotel has to be downtown.

As to the "why?" of it - imagine yourself at a layover - LHR, for example - and you're stuck at an airport hotel for 25+ hours with no easy opportunity to see the sights and check out the culture. Once is a while wouldn't be too much to ask, but imagine that as a weekly scenario, month-in month out, year-in year-out...

My personal opinion was that for very early morning departures, the layover should be at an airport hotel, so as to allow later sleep opportunities.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

Dalmd88

Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:27 pm

FlyHossD wrote:
dcajet wrote:
AirlineCritic wrote:

Some airlines have clauses within their pilot of flight attendant contracts that require downtown layovers based on the length of the layover. For example, if the layover is scheduled to be more than 16 hours, then the layover hotel has to be downtown.

As to the "why?" of it - imagine yourself at a layover - LHR, for example - and you're stuck at an airport hotel for 25+ hours with no easy opportunity to see the sights and check out the culture. Once is a while wouldn't be too much to ask, but imagine that as a weekly scenario, month-in month out, year-in year-out...

My personal opinion was that for very early morning departures, the layover should be at an airport hotel, so as to allow later sleep opportunities.

Another big reason for the city center clause, Food choices. Typically the choices around the airport hotels run pretty poor, fast food and not much else. In the city center you are a quick cab/uber to real restaurants.

LH707330

Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:10 pm

In this case they were going to be late anyway because of the deicing truck backlog, so it wouldn't have mattered....

CosmicCruiser

Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:30 am

or they could have revised the pairing with an earlier pickup.

VSMUT

Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:46 am

FlyHossD wrote:
dcajet wrote:
AirlineCritic wrote:

Yep. Pilots and cabin crew have lives too. We already spend inordinate amounts of time away from friends and family. It is only fair that we are provided something to compensate for it during our time off.
Another aspect is the economy. As you said, restaurants in airport hotels often hold a monopoly, and gladly fleece us every time we need a meal. Gets expensive in the long run...

747Whale

Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:34 pm

bhill wrote:
UA 1508 was an hour last pushing back from the gate at SeaTac this morning. Seems the flight crew spent the night in the City of Seattle and had trouble getting to the airport. Now, everyone KNEW we were going to get snow..it was in the news last week. Why are not crew lodged NEAR airports they are flying out of? I cannot image rooms in the City are cheaper than something closer to the airport...

I don't know what United's crew arrangements were in Seattle, but my employer arranges the hotel.

Sometimes it has to do with cost, but also often to do with the hotel chain, or the short-notice availability of a hotel, or the proximity to eating places, etc. You'd have to take it up with the pilot group's hotel committee.

thepinkmachine

Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:20 am

...Or perhaps the crew had landed late the day before and had to delay their report in the more, to have mandatory minimum rest at the hotel.

That’s actually more plausible than their delay due to snow on the highway.