seaniez
Topic Author

At what phase (before pushback) are pax loaded?

Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:59 pm

Is it during or after CDU, FMS, MCDU, etc preflight? I believe it varies from company to company, but generally, I just want to know at what point of the aircraft being stationary are the passengers loaded?

GalaxyFlyer

Re: At what phase (before pushback) are pax loaded?

Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:15 pm

When the agent starts loading based on lax count, company policy, etc. Has nothing to do with cockpit prep other than both are up against the scheduled push time.

GF

mmo

Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:48 am

Generally, the purser will stick their head in the cockpit and inform the Captain the cabin security is complete and they are ready for pax boarding. He/she will then ask if they are clear for passenger boarding and unless there is a potential major MX delay boarding will begin. The sooner they get the pas on, the sooner you're ready to go.
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!

AA737-823

Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:38 am

Generally, it's as soon as convenient. There's not one particular step that pilots must complete before PAX can board.
Consider the situation where the passengers are boarded before the pilots, for example.
Sometimes that happens, as long as the cabin crew is onboard to maintain safety.

FlyHossD

Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:45 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
When the agent starts loading based on lax count, company policy, etc. Has nothing to do with cockpit prep other than both are up against the scheduled push time.

GF

Yes. I had a number of flights where the passengers, bags and cargo were 100 percent loaded before I and the first officer arrived. In those situations, we did our best to get underway as soon as possible which was usually 20 minutes for complete preparation including the exterior preflight inspection.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

TS-IOR

Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:26 am

Pax are not loaded.. they are embarked or boarded.

MD80

Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:46 am

It will probably depend on each airline and different types of aircraft. I am a flight attendant on A319/320s and the policy of the company (for which I am working for) normally starts boarding 25 minutes prior to door closing.
Dedicated to the MD-80, MD-90, MD-95, and DC-9: www.MD-80.com

planecane

Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:39 am

TS-IOR wrote:
Pax are not loaded.. they are embarked or boarded.

If they were, turn around time would be greatly decreased. Especially if they are in containers!

BWIAirport

Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:01 am

I think every airline sets a time (varying by aircraft size) to commence boarding, such as 45 minutes before scheduled departure. The cockpit operations are entirely separate from that, other than that they can only be cleared to push once the door is closed, which happens once all diligent passengers are boarded. As soon as makes sense, they are receiving their route from clearance delivery and running checks and numbers. I feel like trying to time pax boarding with cockpit preparations adds too many variables to an already time-constrained process.
Next flight: March 3 WN901 BWI-TPA
SWA, UAL, DAL, AWE, ASA, TRS, DLH, CLH, AFR, BAW, EIN, AAL | E190 DC94 CRJ2 B712 B733 B737 B738 B739 B744 B752 B753 B762 B77W A319 A320 A321 A333 A343 A388 MD88

atcdan

Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:03 am

As an added data point, IFR or airways clearances are available in the US only 30 minutes prior to the proposed time of departure.

While the pilots will have a release from the airline, they won’t have confirmation of the clearance (including and change in route or altitude) or the squawk up until this point.
Tower Controller
VNY, DFW, LAX
All posts are my own opinions and do not represent my employer or any government entity in any way!

strfyr51

Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:14 am

when the airplane arrives at the gate and necessary cleaning and setup has been accomplished?Then ,Pax,Bags/cargo and Fuel can be loaded.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:45 pm

atcdan wrote:
As an added data point, IFR or airways clearances are available in the US only 30 minutes prior to the proposed time of departure.

While the pilots will have a release from the airline, they won’t have confirmation of the clearance (including and change in route or altitude) or the squawk up until this point.

It’s been awhile, but a clearance can be obtained earlier than that, if requested.

GF

Starlionblue

Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:37 pm

Just to add the inevitable exceptions when flight crew ops actually do affect pax boarding:
- Some airports do not permit fueling with pax on board.
- If the cabin is very hot, it must be cooled before boarding. This would at least require the APU to be started. It might have to run for a while to make a dent in the temp.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo