SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author

Aircraft tested on shorter scheduled flights after maintenance?

Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:03 pm

A few hours ago AC A333 C-GFAF returned from QPG and landed at YYZ. Seeing that it's now on its way to YYC before resuming long-haul flights from tomorrow on (per Flightradar data), the question came to me since with the same source of data I can see that AC145 has been operated over the past seven days with an A32X and will be too from tomorrow.

Is it a way to check the aircraft in operations after it returned from maintenance, or simply a one off substitution on that flight?
I have discovered that once people are truly captivated in their ignorance, they are generally unwilling to let the facts interfere.
(Rick Drury's Flightlines "Paychecks", Airways April 2003)

pictues

Re: Aircraft tested on shorter scheduled flights after maintenance?

Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:13 pm

The flight sub is not to test for maintenance as that would be done without passengers as per law, most likely they planned this sub as the fastest way to get the aircraft back in rotation at YYC on its normal routes, or they needed more seats on that flight so would make sense to put the plane on the route, either way they make some money off the flight that may otherwise be a non rev ferry flight

Apprentice

Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:39 pm

Hi: Flight Test, requerid by Mx are only due by a short list situations, listed on company’s GMM, like
50% of engine been changed
Big incursion in Flight Control systems
Ídem in pressurization System.
In my experience, this flights are conducted with minimum Fligh Crew, instructors, with day light, and no extra personal o/b

Rgds
“An4; IL18; IL6; Tu5; D10; MD11; MD83; B32; B34: B37; B744; B748; B752; B763; B772; B773; B77W; A320; A332; A333; A342; A343.
"A NO" is a positive answer., "DON'T KNOW" is not. My Tutor (a wise man)
“CUBANA” 90 years Flying”

strfyr51

Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:33 am

At United, Maintenance test flights are conducted under the Continuous Ferry Authorization. Setting one up is enough of a pain and might require an Engineering Crew to perform the flight. A verification flight may be accomplished by a Lines crew if NO non-normal procedures are required. United Engineering crews are not "Line Pilots" and In the past have flown B747 and DC-10 Engine out Ferry Flights. They today fly out of Overhaul Test Flights or out of Modification test flights. Ferry flights to retirement/ Storage and Many induction into fleet flights. Setting up one of those flights is a "Pain in the Butt" with all the paperwork it requires and the Approvals Needed In house and from the FAA...

SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author

Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:14 am

Thanks all for your explanations.
I have discovered that once people are truly captivated in their ignorance, they are generally unwilling to let the facts interfere.
(Rick Drury's Flightlines "Paychecks", Airways April 2003)

citationjet

Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:38 am

I remember back in the 1970s, I was non-revving a Braniff 747 from DFW to London. There was a problem with the #1 engine that was discovered at the gate, which required an engine change. The engine change was done at the gate, and was watched by all the waiting passengers. The process took 5 hours to change engines. After the new engine was installed, the plane was taxied to a run up pad and the engine was run. It then taxied back to the gate, everyone boarded the aircraft and off we went to London.

A few years later, a TWA 747 flight I was on out of ORD needed an engine change. This time the engine change was performed in TWA's hanger. Five hours later the plane showed up at the gate, and off to Europe we went.
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,737,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773.