JAGflyer
Topic Author

Concorde and Atlantic Crossing

Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:47 am

With the Concorde being significantly higher than the usual traffic crossing the Atlantic via the North-Atlantic Tracks or a random route, were they permitted to fly anywhere they wanted (provided it was flight planned and cleared with ATC). I imagine HF radio worked at FL600 where Concorde would be during the oceanic crossing portion of the flight. Seeing as they were pretty much alone above FL410, it seems like they'd have few restrictions as to where they could and could not fly.
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

GulfstreamFive

Re: Concorde and Atlantic Crossing

Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:09 am

Take a look at this for Concorde oceanic routes

http://occ.ivao.aero/proc_pilot.php?page=conc

stratclub

Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:00 am

It is absurd isn't it? Concorde was still flying in controlled airspace, so why would it arbitrarily fly "anywhere it wanted to"? So the flight crew could do some joy riding maybe?

aeropix

Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:27 am

stratclub wrote:
It is absurd isn't it? Concorde was still flying in controlled airspace, so why would it arbitrarily fly "anywhere it wanted to"? So the flight crew could do some joy riding maybe?

Ah man no need to be so rough, he obviously meant to ask if it was limited to specific NAT routings like the low level stuff or if it could fly an optimized route. It’s not a call for outrage...

stratclub

Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:01 am

Sorry. My mind is like a steel trap. Sometimes it serves me well, and sometimes I'm my worst enemy. Some of the worst movies for me are movies involving aircraft. I just can't just sit back and enjoy the movie because of the glaring technical details.

I could have done better by the OP by helping him better understand and relate to what he was asking. My bad..........

I'm not a throttle jockey either and I could use a better understanding of NAT routings etc. as well.

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:48 pm

Every flight above the top of the NATS is on a random route except for the Concorde’s supersonic tracks. Little wind effect at those speeds and altitudes, just temps.

Gf

BravoOne

Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:46 pm

It should be noted that random routes exist within the NATS and they can be filed as such with "restrictions" imposed.

ICA0 007 N ATLANTIC AIRSPACE MANAUL has a good explanation of this.

stratclub

Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:53 pm

cpd

Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:02 am

JAGflyer wrote:
With the Concorde being significantly higher than the usual traffic crossing the Atlantic via the North-Atlantic Tracks or a random route, were they permitted to fly anywhere they wanted (provided it was flight planned and cleared with ATC). I imagine HF radio worked at FL600 where Concorde would be during the oceanic crossing portion of the flight. Seeing as they were pretty much alone above FL410, it seems like they'd have few restrictions as to where they could and could not fly.

It should still be possible to get the chart with all the tracks. One of them was bi-directional, rarely used.

I have the chart here (it covers a table nearly), so ask what you need to know.

It’s still not as uncontrolled as you may think, if there should be a mechanical issue like an engine failure, it must descend back down into controlled airspace.