PilotKayden
Topic Author

Questions For Pilots

Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:52 am

Hello,

I'm trying to interview some pilots (pilots who have taken the civil route or the military route) so I can get an idea of what I want to do.

I need some questions to ask them about the way they became a pilot, but I can't think of any. So far I have: "How did you get to where you are now?" and "How did you train to become a pilot". But I need more questions.
Happy Flying!

GalaxyFlyer

Re: Questions For Pilots

Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:41 am

Civil/Military. Learned to fly by working at an airport earning money to use my employee discount on renting planes. Finished college with CP, ASMEL, IR then went thru USAF UPT thru the Air National Guard. Civil is expensive, military takes a commitment many are not willing to give.

GF

Amsterdam

Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:08 am

PilotKayden wrote:
Hello,

I'm trying to interview some pilots (pilots who have taken the civil route or the military route) so I can get an idea of what I want to do.

I need some questions to ask them about the way they became a pilot, but I can't think of any. So far I have: "How did you get to where you are now?" and "How did you train to become a pilot". But I need more questions.

There are many routes
Short ones like big airline flight academys
And long ones like small academys and making many hours and going from small airlines to big ones
And things in between
And also luck

It all depends on how much you want it

What do you want PilotKayden?
What kind of aviator job?
There are countless
And what do you expect of it?

Lifes of pilots even only in commercial aviation can be completely different

Small airline short haul
Or big airline long haul are almost completely different jobs

Even in a big airline
Flying short haul or long haul gives you a different lifestyle

Flying up and down up and down on a day and going home and doing that 5 times a week
Is completely different than flying to Hong Kong and enjoying yourself there for 3 days and flying home and being home for 4 days
And also the difference in salary can be huge

So he question is
What do you aim for?
And how fast do you want to achieve that aim?

If you deeply truely want to be in the air, because you really feel that
Than any job can give you joy
If you mainly want to fly 747s or triple 7s
Than you need a route or get in a real airline flight program if you want guarantees
Well a guarantee as far as you have those in the aviation business....

Amsterdam

Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:11 am

Double post

FlyHossD

Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:53 pm

PilotKayden wrote:
Hello,

There are many paths, so some more information from you may be helpful. Where are you? How old are you and what career do you seek - airline pilot, corporate pilot, crop-duster, or...?

My path was like many. I saved money and rather than buying a car, spent the money on lessons becoming a private pilot in high school (USA). After college (picking up the other ratings in college as funds allowed), I was lucky to find a job at an air taxi doing everything (swept the hangar floor many times), but became a full time pilot not too long after, and becoming the stereotypical "freight dog" at a few operators before landing a pilot position at a regional/commuter. And from there to a major airline.

But there are many other paths.

So please, tell us more about yourself.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

LH707330

Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:14 pm

1. How did you finance your path through training?
2. What other career paths did you consider?
3. What priorities led you to select one course over another? What would you do differently with 20/20 hindsight?

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:48 pm

1. Worked at local airport, then USAF. IF in the USA and willing to serve, nothing beats the schools beginning with United States—excellent training and paid to get it.

2. No, not since I could remember at age 10

3. The near guarantee of getting the right training and become a professional pilot.

GF

DualQual

Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:11 pm

Don’t be a lowlife scab.
There's no known cure for stupid